“NOT a luxury B&B, just okay... barely.”

Columbia Inn at Peralynna
Ranked #1 of 1 Columbia B&B and Inns
Reviewed 16 April 2010

A quick overview: The website is deceptive - don't be fooled! My husband and I stayed here one night while we were vacationing recently in the area, and while the staff was very nice, the actual hotel is not the luxury B&B it touts itself to be. I would put the hotel more in the 2-star category due to the dated decor and merely serviceable food. If you're looking for luxury, or even upscale, you will be very disappointed in this hotel's amenities.

A more detailed review: To kick off our stay at the Peralynna, my husband and I thought we'd take advantage of the complimentary wine and cheese, but we shouldn't have bothered. The crackers were horribly stale and the cheese had obviously been sitting out way too long also. Other buffet items included pretzel sticks and I believe there was a bowl of oranges. As for the wine, it may have been in a bottle at one time, but it was available to guests in some kind of decorative labeled box with a spigot. Having expected something more along the lines of chocolate-dipped strawberries, petits fours, a selection of cheeses and crackers, and a nicely presented wine bar, I thought the set-up was very cheaply done.

The next morning's breakfast was only marginally better. The hot portion of breakfast was made-to-order by the owner, and while the omelets my husband and I ordered were fine, there was nothing else on the plate other than the omelette, not even a garnish. Self-service breakfast items included peach yogurt and a bowl of cut up fruit that was obviously being re-used from a previous day. The coffee was your basic grocery store brand with cream and sugar in individual packets as though you were grabbing your morning coffee from the gas station.

Our room was large, although the decor was dated. The entire B&B is ready for some serious updating. The owner gave us the "grand tour" when we arrived, and he seemed to find the numerous oversize paintings of frolicking cherubs and gold, light-up statuary amusing, but it just struck me as a bit strange, and I thought the artwork was arbitrarily placed. All the walls and carpet are very, very white. I didn't notice that when looking at the photos on the website because the lighting lends warmth to the photos, but in person all that white was very stark. On the bright side, the memory-foam mattress was comfortable, by far the best part of our stay.

Overall I was really disappointed that my husband and I spent $200 to stay here when we could have stayed at the Hilton or Sheraton for significantly less. The website shows gorgeous photos of pastries and delicious-looking plated food, but we saw nothing like that during our stay. Considering the price of both the room and food, and the "luxury" label on the website, we expected much more from the B&B than we got. I would not stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank claire22310

Reviewed 13 April 2010

I wish I had read other negative reviews about this place because this is not a luxury B&b as it is presented. Maybe if you book the high end suites and don't venture further than your room will you feel pampered. The rest is just really cheap, smoke and mirrors. We booked a $200/night room in February for us and friends. We thought this would be the perfect place until we checked in and the hostess/owner, Cynthia greeted me with "I've upgraded you!."
i was appalled immediately because I had confirmed with her just two days before checking in that we had already been "upgraded" to the "V" and the "J" suites, which she had "upgraded" us to in February, when I booked.
However, tsome "glitch" in her computer system unfortunately checked some guests into the "J" suite and "oh, we're so sorry, but let us show you the other rooms you can choose from."

To make an awfully long and terribly sad story short, just don't stay here. there is a huge disparity in the quality of the rooms. The breakfasts are underwhelming and boring and just plain bad. The grounds are sad.and the marble top sinks, (if you get one) don't make up for plastic outdoor furniture and sad, in desperate need of upgrading guest rooms.

Worst of all, when I wrote Cynthia and told her of my real disappointment, she promised "a full refund." Ha! Two weeks later, no response, and absolutely no refund. The place is in dire straits and you would be funding their lavish lifestyle by staying here.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with friends
3  Thank Luv2travel035
Reviewed 26 October 2009

We enjoyed a wonderful family reunion (wedding gathering) at the Inn at Peralynna Manor; it was like home away from home; everything was extremely comfortable from the wonderful comfortable beds to the various lounges with flat screen TVS (where my husband spent most of Sunday watching football) to the delicious breakfasts. Owners were extremely hospitable. They made special allowance for kids in the family and the kids were welcomed with open arms. All in all - a wonderful weekend - only thing that needs improvement - the coffee!!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with family
4  Thank gooey6
Reviewed 25 August 2009

Stayed here for a couple of days on business trip...
Pro's
1. Helpful, friendly staff who cooked breakfast everyday. Make sure to get up early!
2. Relaxing atmosphere especially the patio/deck seating in the backyard area
3. Comfortable memory foam mattress bed
4. Bathroom had big tub for relaxing bath
5. Upper floor lounge had library of books, videos and t.v. and computer
6. Secluded - if you're looking to get away and just chill out

Con's
1. Secluded - not walking distance to stores, shops, etc. You need a rental car if you want to explore
2. Room I stayed in was small (was able to look around and peek in other rooms during housekeeping and noticed there are more spacious and luxurious rooms) - mine was not
3. AC unit above the bed by headboard left bits of black dust particles when running
4. Brown leak spots with paint that's bubbling on one of the walls in my room
5. Window/Door led to an upper floor patio/deck that was not usable (looked like it was in the middle of construction and was in disarray- not very appealing at all)
6. computer online connection was very slow
Overall, my room felt like it was run-down and needed some upgrading.

I don't think I'll stay at this place again.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank marsbar80
Reviewed 23 October 2008

The Peralynna Inn does not truly honor gift certificates and they try to squeeze as much money out of their guests as they can.

I bought a gift certificate for my mother for Christmas last year in the amount of $450. This was supposed to cover a one night stay and 2 $75 massages. I purchased the gift certificate directly from the Inn after speaking to one of the owners who informed me that the Gift Certificate could be used for the room and massages. I had issues with Peralynna overcharging my credit card for the gift certificate because the man did not know how to operate the credit card machine properly and their computer system was having issues. I was charged 3 seperate transactions equalling $543.35. After calling Peralynna and not getting any resolution to this matter I had to call my credit card company and dispute the charges until the issue was resolved.

My mother booked a one night stay just two weeks ago (10/10/08) and went with her friend. Upon arrival she presented the gift certificate to the receptionist and was informed that it would not be enough for the massages. The receptionist then proceeded to tell them that they could get breakfast in bed and other snacks throughout their stay to use up the GC. My mom and her friend had a nice time there during their stay and when it was time to check out they charged them both for the $75 massages and took the $450 GC. No change or credit was issued from the gift certificate. No receipt itemizing the cost of their stay was given.

A week later my mother noticed that her bank account had been charged twice. Once in the amount of $75 for the massage and another in the amount of $333. I'm assuming the $333 was for the room charge in which atleast one of the $75 massages could have been taken from the gift certificate. She tried several times to call Peralynna to resolve the issue but was always told someone would call her back. After several days of this we went together to the Inn to try to resolve the situation in person. But before doing so I went on-line to check the prices of the rooms. They stayed in a King Suite on a Friday night (breakfast included) which was listed as $275, $302 after taxes.

When we arrived at the Inn, the receptionist proceeded to show us a hand written piece of paper with the cost of the stay and a check for the $333 overcharge. She said the room was $333 after taxes and they charged $60 for bringing the breakfast to the room. A total of $393. (But how come they only charged the card for $333) How ridiculous is that! $60 dollars to bring a complimentary breakfast upstairs? So she said we would be left with a $57 house credit. When I told her that I checked the website and the room they stayed in was listed as $275 she said the prices on the site were wrong. Can you believe it? They actually have a website where people could reserve rooms on their credit cards at a price that they will not honor because she said the prices were wrong. She still never gave us the hand written receipt nor did she give us something stating that we had a $57 credit to use during another stay. I guess she could see from our faces that we weren't coming back. So they got away with charging my mom $450 for a one night stay at a sub-par Inn.

Needless to say we will never go back nor will we recommend anyone else to go there.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 23 October 2008

The Inn at Peralynna is a dream! The hotel style inn was recently renovated and has beautiful furnishings throughout. The staff was available for any question we had about the area and suggested a lovely restaurant, The Iron Bridge, for a romantic dinner. The owners, David and Cynthia Lynn, really go above and beyond to make the guests feel welcomed and pamper them in luxury. The rooms are immaculate (we stayed in the new suites) and have granite counter tops and mini bar, jacuzzi tubs and tempurpedic beds. We didn't want to leave! We plan to stay again in December...

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6  Thank NapaValley7
Reviewed 25 August 2008

My husband and I arrived wearily after a long, tough five hour drive from NYC. The Yankees were going to play in Baltimore and everyone was on the highway. As we started up the staircase to the front door my husband tripped on a step which quickly brought our attention to just how unattractive, cheap and tacky the front entrance was. Cheap ugly outdoor carpeting. What is that gaudy looking fountain in the driveway? We looked at each other hesitantly both hoping that what awaited us behind that door was somehow not going to be related to this frightening exterior.

Regrettingly, we pushed forward and entered this nightmare. There was not a soul in sight. We could hear some kind of commotion in the background so we rang the bell at the desk. When a man finally appeared after some time he was disoriented and wanted to know what we wanted. We introduced ourselves and as we waited for a return gesture he mumbled something then darted into an office area off the main entrance. (He's in the hospitality business???) The incoherent message had something to do with the computer not working and we needed to show some ID and credit card. Feeling completely alienated and uncomfortable we asked him who he was, he replied "the owner".

At this point, we wanted to turn around and drive away but we were both so tired from all the traffic that we gave into his request to take a look around. We asked to see the room but first he gave us an abbreviated tour. We were completely unimpressed with the soulless atmosphere. We might as well have been in the movie set for Hitchcock's "Psycho". But the Bates Motel was better looking.

We finally got to to our appointed bedroom which seemed ok if you like cheap tacky fake furnishings and even cheaper, red drapes. It was very unpleasant to see that the bed had a unmade pillow laying on the edge, naked and wafer-like without its case. The pillows were flat foam wafers not luxurious fluffy feather clouds. Bad Vibes!

We expressed our discontent with the room and the owner offered to move us to another but in our tired state we decided to just take that one.

We handed over the credit card and ID and went to a local restaurant to discuss our situation. We returned in 30 minutes to tell the owner that we felt completely uncomfortable and were not going to stay. He was shocked and wanted to know why. When we explained that we were uncomfortable, he did not except our answer. He scoffed at us saying that was not a good enough reason and nervously let us know that no one has ever told him that before. He then said we had to pay the full price of the 2 night stay. He seemed very confused and nervous. He told us to speak to his wife but she wasn't there. We told him that we didn't want to wait and that she could call us. She never did.

After we left, a huge sigh of relief came over us. My husband and I love to try new places and prefer to stay at small hotels and B&Bs. We embrace the odd and the unique. This is not one. We wound up staying at a Sheraton across town because of such short notice. We never stay at big hotel chains but it was paradise compared to this dump. Don't waste your time and money.

This is not a positive recommendation.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mikeandbessie
Also consider these accommodations in or near Columbia
DoubleTree by Hilton Columbia
Sleep Inn & Suites Downtown Inner Harbor
Hampton Inn & Suites Columbia / South
Sonesta ES Suites Columbia
Homewood Suites by Hilton Columbia
Hampton Inn Columbia
Hampton Inn Columbia
#4 of 12 in Columbia

Been to Columbia Inn at Peralynna? Share your experiences!