“Ridiculously Helpful Staff - Wonderful Group”

SpringHill Suites Columbia
Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Columbia
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 13 July 2014

I never write reviews of ANYTHING. After staying at the Springhill Suites on my way through the Baltimore area, I realized that I really had to let people know about the staff at this extended stay hotel.

As others might have indicated, the location is great. You're as close to Baltimore as you'd ever want to be and about a mile from a Starbucks and Wegmans.... so there's that.

The room was fine. Nothing remarkable; but exactly what you expect for the price. No complaints here.

But the draw here is the kind, hardworking staff. You'll notice that everyone working there is professional and friendly. I actually lost a piece of luggage while I was packing up to leave one morning and the property manager (Parminder Singh... I may have first name wrong) was a huge help. I was pleasantly shocked at the amount of time and attention he paid to help a former guest recover some very important property.

If you're in need of a place to stay near Columbia, you won't do any better than SprinHill Suites. I'll be back.

1  Thank Timothy W
Chuck C, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Columbia, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Timothy W,

Thanks for the great review! Convenience to Baltimore, DC and Annapolis continue to be a common thread with recent reviews. I had really never appreciated how convenient we are until now.

Starbucks, Wegman's and the plethora of restaurants nearby only add to the convenience.

Parminder and the team are great as well! I appreciate you acknowledging the extra effort that they put forth. Everyone loves a litle recognition and I appreciate you recognizing them.

We look forward to having you stay with us again!

Reviewed 12 July 2014

This Springhill Suites Hotel is well-appointed and well-maintained. The staff was super friendly and attentative. The rooms are clean and spacious. I like the separate areas in the rooms. Bath and toilet areas are separate and there is a sitting area and a desk area away from the bed. It feels like a mini apartment! The breakfast was fresh and delicious. I was so glad I booked here instead of the over-priced hotels downtown Baltimore. It was worth the drive into the city to have such pleasant surroundings! (only 20 minutes to the Inner Harbor)

Room Tip: I think all of the rooms are good. No noise issues to worry about.
1  Thank Rosemary C

Rosemary C,

Thanks for staying with us earlier this month and posting a reveiw on TripAdvisor!

More and more, we are hearing about how convenient we are to Baltimore, DC and Annapolis. I am thrilled things worked out so well for you and you found a good value in our SpringHill Suites Columbia.

Oversized rooms (Suites), the seperate shower/toilet areas and the sitting room portion of the room are all distinct items that define the room of a SpringHill.

Please come back and stay with us in the future as your travels bring you back to the greater Baltimore area.

Reviewed 12 July 2014

I stayed here July 8th, and it was my first time experiencing a SpringHill Suites. It was clean, modern, and I liked the room layout. The most impressive part of my staying here was that I accidentally left an irreplaceable pair of earrings in the room and I got a return call the next day from Parminder Singh, the assistant GM saying they had my earrings - I now have them back as the hotel sent them to me fed ex. I am so very happy for the great service and honesty of the staff and management. I highly recommend this hotel! (Thank you)

2  Thank FlaGirl0616

FlaGirl0616,

Thanks for posting about your recent experiences with our SpringHill Suites Columbia.

Parminder is a great asset to the hotel and honesty and integrity are critical elements to our culture here. I am glad you got you earings back and appraciate you recommendation of our hotel!

Thanks for staying with us and please come back when your travels bring you back to Columbia!

Reviewed 9 July 2014

I want to commend the staff at this great family hotel. We stayed during the fourth of July holiday this year and were greeted with warm smiles and salutations. The staff was happy to accommodate our needs. The room and the lobby have excellent designs and our very comfortable. The complimentary breakfast was excellent. The complimentary WIFI came in handy. The experience was really highlighted by the gracious and helpful Mr. P (Parminder Singh) who answered all of our questions and consistently made us aware of local attractions and accessibility. We highly recommend this property for those traveling up and down the east coast. It is one of our favorites and we will definitely be back again. Thanks again Mr. P to you and your staff!

Room Tip: I love the 2 Queen Beds and a pullout sofabed
1  Thank James M
Chuck C, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Columbia, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

James M,

Thank you for your kind words about the hotel and Mr.P. He is a great addition to our team and we all appreciate him and the Service Culture that he brings to our property.

I am thrilled that your 4th of July weekend stay at the SpringHill Suites Columbia was so comfortable. We have a great product and love to share with others!!!!!

Our team, from the front desk clerks to Housekeeping to Maintenance and Mr. P strive to be friendly, warm, engaging and sincere in all of our interactions. The team really does care about our guests and their stay. It is always great to hear when they successfully deliver!

Thanks for staying with us and please come back soon!

Reviewed 8 July 2014

The property looks just like other SpringHill Suites, but personally I like the look. Very comfortable and functional room for one night. We liked the separate toilet and shower spaces, both of which were very clean. The bed and pillows were comfy. Despite the number of families staying the same night, I found it very quiet, and I tend to be aware of hallway noise. Best of all: we were warmly welcomed by all of the front desk staff. I wish I had noted his name, but the gentleman who checked us in even remembered my name the next day - I give that attention to detail high marks. Great value and free wifi.

homespunner,

Thanks for taking the time to complete a response in Tripadvisor.

I am glad you were able to enjoy your stay and appreciate your loyalty to Marriott and the SpringHill Suites Brand. We do have a very special and comfortable "sense" to the Brand. From the color pallette, to the suite concept, the seperate toilet/shower set-up to complimentary breakfast and wi-fi.

The Brand is great for traveling families as well with the rooms that are designed to be a little oversized. The team is great here and I am awfully proud of the services that they deliver. Please look up the SpringHill Suites Columbia as your travels bring you back to the Columbia/Baltimore area. Thank you for staying with us.

Reviewed 8 July 2014

I have been visiting this hotel for years for business. The hotel has always been well maintained. Breakfast is always fresh and coffee is always full. The rooms are spacious and comfortable. It's my number one choice for Columbia area.

jeremy s,

Thank you for your loyalty to the SpringHill Suites Columbia! We value all of our guests, though we especially appreciate those that have chosen to call us "home" when their business travel needs take them away from their families.

I appreciate the kind words you shared and will make sure to share them withour team. Thanks again for staying with us and for filling out the Tripadvisor comments.

Reviewed 8 July 2014

They call the rooms suites, but I can't understand how it is a suite. The size is about the same as any ordinary hotel room. In fact, I have stayed in "regular" hotel rooms larger than this. There is a small seating area which is comprised of one sofa and two small tables about the same size as TV table trays. There is also an average sized desk area with plugs for computer and electronics. The bathroom is two small rooms, one with a toilet and sink and the other with a shower and sink. The doors are sliding pocket doors, so you won't be able to lock them in case that is something you need to do.
There is a mini fridge and a very small microwave. We stayed here for a week, and I would not recommend it for an extended stay. The room is small. There is no counter space. The only sinks are bathroom sinks, and there is no way to prepare any food other than the tiny microwave. You are given 2 paper plates and 2 sets of plastic eating utensils in plastic packages. This makes it difficult to prepare any type of food here.
The room was about average clean. There were a few small "private" hairs in the shower and bathroom, so it wasn't entirely clean in my eyes. Sheets seemed clean enough. Towels that were left in our room one day had someone's very long black hair on them. Not acceptable. There was a rather large stain on the sofa, some stains on the carpet, some scratches on furniture and walls. The hotel was built in 2009, so it is about 5 years old.
The shower door didn't close well enough so water would get on the floor no matter how careful you tried to be. It was too much water to be easily caught by the floor mat, so it was messy to deal with. But more importantly, the water in the shower and sink didn't get really hot. Even with the dials turned as high as they would go, I would just call the water very warm. The temperature control in the room worked well though.
Our room was over the hotel laundry (three floors up) so our room vibrated and shook whenever their industrial size dryers were on the spin cycle. It wasn't terrible, but it was enough to be annoying and make the building feel a bit flimsy. There is a guest laundry facility which was one washing machine and one dryer. The cost is $2 per load for washing and $2 per load for drying. They give you a one time use box of powdered tide detergent and one box with 2 bounce dryer sheets at the front desk for the laundry.
The television did not have the full line-up, so some channels I wanted to see were missing. The television is satellite, and during storms it did lose reception sometimes. The television also dropped connection constantly. Literally, every few minutes, the screen would blank out for a few seconds. Not a big deal if it had happened a few times, but it happened continually and became an annoyance.
The hotel is located on a busy road, so it is near restaurants and not too far from a couple grocery stores.
The business center located in the hotel has two computers and a printer in an alcove just off the lobby. There is no door, it is all open plan, and the lobby can be very loud because there really is nothing to dampen the sound. If you need quiet while working in the business center, you won't find it here. But if the noise won't bother you, the business center was fine. I was able to print out a few pages I needed.
We only had breakfast on Saturday morning, the day we were leaving. Breakfast was chaos. It is laid out on one small counter against a wall, and people were fighting to get to it. There is no real breakfast room, so everyone having breakfast was spread out all over the lobby, sitting at the few tables and chairs, sitting on the lobby sofa and chairs, and some even standing in the business area. Not comfortable. Breakfast consisted of the normal stuff you find in a chain hotel.
The hotel is all about style without function. Even my husband commented on that. Decisions were obviously made to try to make the place look cool, but without consideration as to how it actually worked. Therefore, it really didn't work that well.
The hotel might be fine for a night or two, but I wouldn't recommend it for a longer stay.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bluemoonsymphony

bluemoonsymphony,

I am terribly sorry that we did not meet expectations for your recent stay.

We have a terrific team and a wonderful hotel, though we seemed to disappoint you. Our Tripadvisor ratings are stellar and I would love the chance to speak with you directly regarding the difficulties you experienced and see how we could regain your trust in our hotel and the SpringHill Suites Brand.

Please feel free to reach out to me at 410.290.7896 or chuck.chandler@marriott.com.

Thanks for taking the time to review our hotel and I hope to hear from you soon.