“A Tragic Experience!”

Sonesta ES Suites Columbia
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Columbia
Reviewed 4 August 2014

This hotel experience was horrible! The check-in has been relocated to a former suite. The agent that checked me in was snide and unhelpful. I requested a room with two beds for my brother and I and he was so unkind and unprofessional. He said that I didn't reserve a room for two and that he couldn't change the Hotwire reservation. I will never, ever stay at a Sonesta Hotel again, and, I will never, ever use Hotwire to make reservations again. Apparently, Hotwire expected me to call them to request a room with two beds. (This is written nowhere on their website). Also, the hotel is undergoing renovation and the owners and contractors are clueless. The lobby and elevators should've been first, or, last. Their mid-reno and the entire place is a bid dustball! The renovated rooms aren't bad for the price, but the experience was tainted by extremely poor customer service from the hotel staff and the Hotwire agent.

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel at all costs!
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Neil H, General Manager at Sonesta ES Suites Columbia, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us and I sincerely apologize about the issues you stated you endured during your stay that are not typical of our hotel. The renovation is also a result of us being able to provide our guests with a Brand New product with wonderful new amenities that our guests have asked for and we are confident everyone will love and enjoy them all! We are receiving wonderful feedback from many of our guests about our new rooms and new product so far as a result of our renovation and I truly and sincerely invite you back to experience this first hand. . Our entire team is committed to providing the best possible service to all of our guests and we certainly hope you allow us another opportunity to be of service.

Reviewed 29 July 2014

Even while working on the hotel everything was perfect. We had a brand new room. It was great. The location, and price were great. All of the staff was very friendly. Could not ask for a better stay. THANKS.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Sonesta
Neil H, General Manager at Sonesta ES Suites Columbia, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

What a pleasure to have you here at Sonesta and thank you for allowing us to be of service. What great news to hear you found your stay excellent and we so much appreciate you choosing our hotel. We all look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 24 July 2014

First I want to start out by saying that this hotel is probably one of the nicest ones I've staid in in a while. The room itself was amazing. However, there was some things on the reservation that were not correct. We booked the room through a well know reservation site, the site uses the actual reservation site of the hotel to book the room. On the reservation it says check in at 3:00pm, but upon arrival to the location, check in is actually not until 4:00pm. So we had to wait a little while because of the mis-communication. Also upon arrival we were surprised to see a major construction project under way with the hotel. You have to go all the way to the back of the hotel to a make shift "front desk." Then you have to go all the way back around to the actual front of the building to get to your room. In the process of all this, they have suspended use of several of the facilities that we actually chose this property for. I will give it to them, they do have free passes to the YMCA for guests, but it still stinks that I can't just stay on the property, I have to get into my car and drive to the Y and then get back in to come back. Breakfast is usually a hot buffet, but has been reduced to a continental breakfast. Another reason we chose here, the breakfast. Upon telling the staff these were the main factors that we chose this hotel, they didn't offer anything at all, no discount or even apology. The staff was however, in the wake of the issues, very kind. Neil treated our son like a little king by giving him a drink and snack to keep him occupied while we dealt with checking in. I do feel that we should have been offered a discount or at least a comped night for a future stay. Overall, I am very happy with the room, however the rest of the property is very dusty and noisy during day from the construction. I guess it is to be expected. I will however choose to stay here again in the future and will recommend to the family and friends. I just hope that the next time I stay, I won't feel as I am pulling into an unfinished hotel. Have a wonderful day.

Room Tip: We chose the two-bedroom suite....it's perfect for a family with a child.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Neil H, General Manager at Sonesta ES Suites Columbia, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2014

It was wonderful hear you loved the new room and we so much appreciate you being here at our hotel. We so much appreciate your understanding and patience regarding the construction and I sincerely apologize about the inconvenience and appreciate you sharing your expereience with us. I will contact you and look forward to assisting you and thank you again for choosing Sonesta.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

This hotel was under construction on the complete first floor. Therefore, one of the reasons I chose the hotel was not available and that was the breakfast. Items were available but not what I expected. The room I received was remodeled and it was excellent! Beds very comfortable. Sitting area was small but served its purpose. I will use the hotel again and hopefully I can enjoy all perks listed.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Sonesta
Neil H, General Manager at Sonesta ES Suites Columbia, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

We were thrilled to hear you stated the newly renovated rooms were excellent and we are so glad you found the beds very comfortable. We are all committed here to making sure our guests enjoy their stay and if there is anything I can ever do to assist you or enhance your stay with us, please let me know. Thank you for choosing Sonesta and we all look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed 21 July 2014

This hotel was more than one could ask for in a one night stay. I was driving to visit friends in the area and it was the perfect place to stay overnight. Beautiful renovations are happening to remodel the rooms. Although renovations were happening, there was no disturbance to my sleep and the hotel staff, especially Karan Stewart, made the stay most enjoyable and easy to navigate around. A nice breakfast was served even though the building was under renovations. Everything about the hotel communicated the message of hospitality and care for the people staying there. The location is right off major highways 108 and 104 in a cute little shopping center with anything you need. Thank you for making my stay a memorable one Sonesta staff and Karan!!

• Stayed: July 2014

I was so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and found your expereince here a memorable one. We love taking care of our guests and exuding our hospitality in appreciation of your patronage. I will definitely convey to Karan your sentiments and I know she will be so excited you shared your expereience at Sonesta. Please come back and see us again soon as you are much appreciated here at our hotel!

Reviewed 19 July 2014

I came to stay for the night with my boyfriend and a couple of friends. I could not have asked for better service or a better room. Karan was very willing to answer any questions we had and made us feel right at home. The room was freshly renovated so it looked beautiful! Although renovations were still taking place, no noise from the construction could be heard. The hamburgers and hot dogs that were provided for dinner were fantastic, as well as the convenient breakfast! The pool was a nice refresher, after which we could take an even better shower. This is a five star recommendation!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Becky E
Neil H, General Manager at Sonesta ES Suites Columbia, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

It was just wonderful to hear you loved the hotel, the service and the newly renovated rooms. Our cookout is also a big hit with our guests and we are so glad you enjoyed that as well. We so much appreciate you allowing us the opporutnity to be of service and come back and see us again soon. We loved having you here!

Reviewed 18 July 2014

The Sonesta ES Suites in Columbia MD is undergoing big renovations. The 'new' suites are SUPER. The staff are ALL excellent and great representatives of the brand. Can't wait to see it finished. There is some "dust" around the facility now but the staff attitudes make it all seem like nothing. They are there to take care of any need, they greet you with a smile, they know their business and they make a difference!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Sonesta

Thank you so much for sharing your expereience with us and we all love taking care of our guests. It was just a pleasure to have you here and we are so pleased you enjoyed the newly renovated rooms. If there is anything we can ever do to enhance your with us the next time you visit us again, please let us know and it will be our pleasure to oblige. We all look forward to welcoming you back soon.