“Does not honor reservations for people with mobility/disability requirements poor/no policy for people with disablities”

Hilton Garden Inn Columbia
Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Columbia
Lawrence, Massachusetts
Reviewed 13 June 2014

Okay, not sure where to start, so I will highlight the sequences from the beginning.

May 5th 2014 - The reservations with the Hilton Garden Inn.
I am a woman who uses a wheelchair and require certain accessibility accommodations. At the time of reservations, I had inquired about an accessible room with a roll-in shower. For anyone who may not know, a roll-in shower is exactly what it sounds like; for a wheelchair user, they roll right in. It doesn't have tub. They had told me, the one room they had with a roll-in shower was 2 beds. Now, granted my partner and I don't need two beds, it was fine since I needed the shower unit. Again.. Confirmed multiple times while on the phone.

May 17th. Received confirmation for my double bed room and a nice 'See you soon!'

May 24th Check In: Was told on arrival that NO accessible rooms were available despite reservation and confirmation. At that time was even told that they didn't 'know why since none of the current occupants didn't require it.. ' Despite the hassle (and a 9hr long drive), we had agreed to the following:
For the evening, they would give me a room on the 1st floor, near the public restroom so that I could at least access an accessible restroom, and comp the cost. The next day, moving me into our reserved room. Or so I thought.. My partner/I checked into our room, and I went to use the restroom. Once I entered, I see stall stall stall.. Accessible stall.. Out Of Order. Are you F'ing kidding me!?? The manager quickly followed me in, unlocked it and said ‘there’s just no water, but it will work’. It didn’t.

Side note: I really like using the bathroom alone, but I guess that’s a preference too. (keep reading, and you will understand)

May25th. Check back in with the front desk to find out status on the actual reserved room. I was told then that the 2 double bed accommodation room, with roll-in shower' was not yet available (even after their guarantee). However! Since we'd gone through this much, they were going to give us a bigger room with a king bed. *Note: original reservations stated the ONLY roll-in shower they has was the double* but they work here, so must know. We were told that it would be ready in about 30min and they would call our current room and let us know. An hour goes by. No call. Having places to be, and needing to take a shower, my partner goes back to the front desk to find out the status. We then get the keys to the new large room after asking at least 3 times that it has a roll-in shower, and confirming 3 times that it has a roll in shower. We get into our room.. No roll-in shower. Really!? Head back down to the desk and say 'thank you, but this room doesn't have a roll-in shower' 'It doesn't?' No... it doesn't.. A roll-in shower means there is no tub. You.. 'ROLL' in.. 'Oh' Now a new voice chimes in, the gentleman next to her. "oh, we don't have any of those here" What do you mean we ask. We confirmed a) when we made the reservations (remember only one available was double bed) and b) with the first gentleman that promised it would be ready the next day. During back and forth, we are also told contradicting information. New voice guy says we don't have any.. Woman says oh.. "there is one, but a blind lady needs it because she has a seeing-eye dog." WHAT?! Okay.. She should NOT be telling me someone else’s personal business. I work in the disability community, a seeing impaired individual vs a mobility impaired person require different accommodations. So, between New Voice Guy and Unhelpful Woman, we are not getting the full story. We just 'have to make it work'.

Now, I won't go into details of 'make it work' but as an individual, and here with my partner on a vacation, it was both dehumanizing and dignity striking. However with the roadblocks we hit, we had to admit defeat.

I called Hilton on the 28th to speak to them about this experience. Their 'valid' explanation for all this was that it was there 'policy'. "It’s the Hilton’s policy that when you make a reservation for any room, it is considered a preference." Sure, I can see this on such things as views and bed size etc, However, for someone that absolutely requires the need for accessibility the term 'PREFERENCE' is ludicrous. Rather it should be necessity. It is a total slap in the face for anyone with a disability. If they were worth prestige and name, they would respect ALL paying customers. After numerous emails, surveys, phone calls and dead ends, not trying to get refund, but rather to make notice either a) of poor management or b) poor policy, the best thing they did was offer a complimentary night stay. I am sorry, but that is missing the entire point of dialog and policy/management review. Not to mention the fact that they didn't honor their own "we promise to do whatever it takes to ensure you're satisfied, or you don't pay. You can count on us. GUARANTEED".

After a 400$ stay, and having to make it work. I have paid more than my share between cost, lack of respect, lack of integrity, dignity, and humiliation among other things.

I will not be staying at another Hilton, and if reasonable accommodations are indeed only a 'preference', then I implore you to reconsider supporting a multibillion dollar corporation that does not stand by their word, and refuses to consider serving a large community of millions who are looking for the same respect and dignity as our non-disabled travelling peers. Instead they did the opposite.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Donald T

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 13 June 2014

Excellent Staff; decent digs. Large rooms and decent accommodations though a bit worn. A very nice and welcoming lobby, well organized meeting space, a comfortable lounging area and beautiful outdoor grounds. ALTHOUGH in-house food and dining is limited to breakfast and drinks and snacks, there is adequate food nearby with several restaurants even within walking distance. EXCELLENT HANDICAP ACCESSIBILIY. hearing impaired accoodations, roll-in shower, etc.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

New York City, New York
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Stayed here recently for 2 nights in a studio with king bed and sofabed. Had small fridge in room too which was useful. Staff at check in and breakfast were very friendly and accommodating. Was able to check in very early as room was ready. Room was very clean, though a bit dark and in need of some freshening. Gym was small (just 3 aerobic machines) but in good condition. Overall the hotel was pretty good and would stay again if in the area.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Bermuda
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Hotel was comfortable and quiet, but be sure to choose a room away from the elevators which can be noisy. Rooms comfortable and TV entertainment system good. Fitness room could use an upgrade but otherwise good. Staff very helpful and attentive.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo

Parkland, United States
Reviewed 2 June 2014

I stayed here while traveling on business and selected this hotel primarily for its location. My interactions with the staff were limited but everyone was friendly. The age, cleanliness and condition of the accommodations would be acceptable at a price point of under $129/night but did not meet my expectations of a Hilton property charging $170/night. The rooms are dated, which maybe ok if you're just looking for a place to sleep but if you're expecting anything more I would suggest staying at another hotel.

1 Thank Frank R
MD
Reviewed 30 May 2014

The location was fine for the appointments I made. I know the area well and was able to do some shopping nearby. The staff missed our room for one maid service, which left us asking for towels late at night. The towels were supplied promptly.

Walkersville, United States
Reviewed 30 May 2014

This was a welcoming, clean hotel that took great care of me from a great night's sleep through breakfast thru filing reports at the end of the day and checking emails through meeting preparations in the Business Center in the mornings from received emails. I strongly recommend it as a very comfortable place to stay for business. One caveat is that the signage (restricted by the local town) makes it a bit difficult to find. I recommend a GPS for that and prepare to be quick on the turns,