“Great Hotel”

Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Columbia
Mt. Pleasant, MI
“Great Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2012

I have used this hotel several times when visiting family in Maryland. It provides a great home away from home type of environment - basically all the amenities you might need. The location is also great - not on the highway, but easily accessible to major roads and highways (via I 95). The breakfast is good, and four weeknights a week they have a very nice evening reception/meal. The service has also been very good during our stays.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
NormanE45, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Columbia, responded to this review, 7 March 2012
March 7, 2012

Hello Isabel51,

Thanks for taking a moment to share your experience! We thank you for choosing to stay with us and truly appreciate your feedback. We are so glad you enjoyed the hotel and hope to see you in the near future. Please travel safely and continue to make the Hilton Brand of hotels your 1st choice!

Norman Eaton

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
  • Arabic first
Virginia Beach, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2012

I just spent over 2 months at this place and really like it. The rooms are almost like small apartments. Here are some good points:
-The rooms are quite nice and well maintained. All the furniture and furnishings seem pretty new.
-The bed is very comfortable.
-Both the bedroom and living room each have their own nice big flat screen TV.
-Each room has a real kitchen with full size fridge (but no oven).
-The staff is good for the most part, although not the most professional at times.
-The free breakfast is pretty good with different hot choices each day, and the free dinner Mon-Thurs is also reasonably good.
-The maid service is also pretty decent.

A few negatives to note:
-A few weeks ago there was about a dozen cars vandalized in the back. For whatever reason this place has no cameras around the perimeter, so avoid parking in the back if possible.
-The quality of the dinners has gone steadily down over time. I stayed here about a year ago and it was very good, but now it is much cheaper choices and lower quality ingredients. It is still edible most nights, but occasionally it is so bad that I go down the street to TGIF instead.
-The walls are very thin, so if you have 'active' neighbors you will hear every detail. (at times this might be considered by some as a positive)
-While the TV's are really nice, the choice of TV channels is horrible.
-The elevators suck...they are really slow.

So while this place has a few bad points, it really is very good overall. I will definitely stay here again in the future.

One last piece of advice: Some rooms are much smaller than others, so if you get one with a bedroom that barely fits the bed, ask to move to something bigger.

Room Tip: Some rooms are much smaller than others, so if you get one with a bedroom that barely fits the bed...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank frank3355
Smithtown, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2012

It was a nice, clean hotel. The kitchenette was clean and the bed was comfortable. The breakfast the next day was good ~ waffles, yogurt, cereal, friut etc.. Nice to be able to grab something to eat and go. The hotel staff was very friendly and helpful. the location was convenient to the highway so it was easy to get around. Close to Arundel Mall about 15 minutes away.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
Columbia, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2012

I held a living memorial service at this venue last October and Ms. Julia Mattis, Sales Director handled all the many details wonderfully. She was gracious, kind, creative and went out of her way to ensure everything was just as we hoped....Ms. Mattis's efforts surpassed our greatest expectations. She is a lovely woman, who personally welcomes all her guests and knows many by name. Ms. Mattis certainly goes the extra mile to ensure visits are comfortable and enjoyable. She goes out of her way to make everyone feel special and welcome. We have high expectations and this hotel always delivers. We arrange for our family and friends to stay at this particular locations whenever they visit. Frequently, we spend the weekend at this hotel just to get away from it all. It is clean, comfortable and well appointed. Ms. Mattis sees to the many extra details that make the visits extra special. Thanks Ms. Mattis for all that you do--- we think you deserve a promotion!

Room Tip: May wish to stay away from the basketball courts if dribbling is a bother to you.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2012

Great for seminars or workshops. Very nice staff who gave excellent customer service. Clean rooms. Wifi service. State of the art fitness facility. Business center with computers and printers. Wonderful (free) breakfast buffet. Four-five chain restaurants conveniently located within walking distance (right acrosse the street) who also deliver. Hotel is located in a pretty area, off the main road. I was more than pleased with my stay at this hotel.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank Tropicgrl
South Korea
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2012

So close to an excellent 5 point rating! Only thing that took away was the fact that some of our dishes in our suite had old bits of food on them like they hadn't been thoroughly washed. Other than that, this hotel had everything we were looking for. Very comfortable, quiet, and clean with no big issues. Great front desk service who greeted us well on both our consecutive stays. Location is okay with things in the area, but we were already very familiar with Columbia so no need for us to worry about what was in the vicinity.

If you choose to stay here, you won't regret it! We were absolutely pleased and satisfied with our stay!

• Stayed February 2012
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2012

I travel a lot on the account of business. So I frequently stay at Hilton properties, but I hadn't states at a Homewood Suites in a long time. When I arrived I was pleasantly greeted by "Ryan" at the front desk, I briefly spoke with him about the hotel and the area and he was able to provide me if a lot of information about the rooms and the restaurants and the shopping, to be honest he blew my mind, it was like I had "Google" right in front of me. When I came back downstairs later to get dinner (which was very good by the way) the dinner staff greeted me and I made me feel like I was truly at home, I saw my friend Ryan again at the front desk! This Guy was really making me laugh... the next morning I was greeted by a rather soft speaking "June" but he greeted me and was very welcoming as well, all around I had a great time and can't wait to be back!

• Stayed January 2012