“Amazing selection”

The Ale House Columbia
Reserve with OpenTable
The Ale House Columbia is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #15 of 261 Restaurants in Columbia
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Bar Scene, Business meetings, Child-friendly, Kids
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Ellicott City, Maryland
“Amazing selection”
Reviewed 31 May 2014

If you love your beer, and enjoy good service and an interesting menu to go along with the beer, this is the place. The beer menu is just overwhelming. And the appetizers were great -especially the pretzel with very tasty ale mustard. The duck confit grilled cheese was delicious, and something I have never seen on a menu. The service was attentive and informed. The brisket was great, as was the house vegetable slaw. All in all, a great value and diverse menu.

Portland, Michigan, United States
“Lunch at the Ale House; Bottomless Build Your Bloody Mary”
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Service at this establishment was par excellence. They had been slammed just before we arrived so we had to wait 15 for a table outside. 'Twas a fair day but chilly so we asked to move inside. This is a problem at some places but not at this Ale House. The transition was smooth and we had the same server.
Bottomless Build Your Own Bloody Mary does not mean that you get to pour the vodka. That could be dangerous! But you can mix whatever else you prefer (and hold the ice); the bartender will administer the usual amount of vodka to your concoction. Bottomless means, I guess, that your can have as many Bloody Mary's as you desire for $10. I think that was three for me.
We had nachos, crab cake sandwich and burger with bacon. All were pretty good.
My beer drinking friends say they have a good selection.
You can converse without yelling.
I would go here again, if only for the service which was outstanding.

Charlottesville, Virginia
“Great Find”
Reviewed 5 May 2014

We decided to try this restaurant since it was close to our hotel. We were not disappointed. They have more beer on tap than the Taphouse and the food is better with a more diverse menu. The waiter we had was friendly and helpful. He was able to suggest beer that we would like based on our individual tastes (4 of us). The restaurant was extremely clean, even the restrooms were worthy of a gold star. This will now be our regular stop, along with The Stanford Grill.

Overland Park, Kansas
“Surprisingly nice”
Reviewed 12 April 2014

I had a nice time sitting at the bar while eating dinner last week.

Pros
They have a massive amount of tap beers. Many are their own, but they also have "guest" taps like Rye on Rye from my hometown Kansas City brewer, Boulevard. The two beers of theirs I tried were very good. Their happy hour and late night specials are very good.

Cons
I got the oven baked macaroni with rib tips and poblano peppers. It wasn't bad, but wasn't great either. After seeing the mussels and dishes other people ordered, I realized that I had mis-ordered...

Overall
This is a very clean, nice, and a moderately upscale restaurant/bar in a neighborhood that is slightly more modest than this fine pub.

• Visited April 2014
Clarksville, MD
“Fun night with friends...food decent”
Reviewed 24 March 2014

We went on a Saturday night and made a reservation for 4 and were seated right away when we arrived. It was really crowded inside, but our table was nice and quiet. We had the duck grilled cheese which was very good as was the bacon mac and cheese. They were out of lobster to add to the mac and cheese and the waitress apologized and gave us a dessert on the house. The fries were tasty. Those that tried the beer like them. I had a glass of pinot grichio and that was good too. My husband wanted brewed root beer which lots of breweries have, but they do not. Overall a fun night with friends and would go back again to try other menu items.

• Visited March 2014