“Good food but bad service” 3 of 5 bubbles

Romano's Macaroni Grill
Price range: US$21 - US$30
Cuisines: Italian, European
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Pensacola, Florida
“Good food but bad service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2013

Went here one day for lunch and although the food was pretty good, the service was bothersome. Not only was it slow, our server was very inattentive and would disappear for great lengths of time. Perhaps I'm a bit impatient but when I'm finished, I want my check relatively quickly and I also want my server to keep an eye on the table to see when payment is made. I don't like sitting around for 20 minutes after finishing my meal.

• Visited June 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Towson, Maryland
“Twice there”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2013

.... with guests, never disappointed indeed surprised by the strong Italian flair in the kitchen and service. Clean and comfortable, with the "bricco" from "quartino" !

• Visited April 2013
Baltimore, Maryland
“Nice Place, Good Food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2013

Like: tasty pasta, good menu variety. Not crazy about the seating at the Columbia location which doesn't really lend itself well to cozy romantic dinners or privacy of any type. The dessert menu, if you care about such things, could also use a few additions.

Visited November 2012
columbia, md
“This place has gone downhill...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2013

I used to visit Macaroni Grill at least once a week for lunch. Over the years, the food has become terrible. They have continually changed their menu, and taken off my favorite items, but that is not the worst of it. The quality of their food has taken a nose dive in the past year or so. When I was there in Dec, I actually sent my dish back (I never do that...), and I should have sent my dish back the most recent time my husband and I went. It was basically a pasta dish full of raw garlic... I'm so disappointed because this used to be one of my go-to restaurants. It doesn't seem as though they care about their customers anymore. :(

• Visited February 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Silver Spring, Maryland
“Changed for the worse!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2013

My wife and I stopped there on last Saturday night for a quick dinner while shopping in the area. What a difference time makes!

We had been there a number of times over the years and enjoyed their menu, with their specials, which they changed periodically, and their practice of putting their large bottles of wine on the table for you to keep track of how many glases you, or they poured on the "honor " system. It was a little different, inexpensive, fun and the food was good with ample portions.

All that has changed for the worse! it was very crowded (I don't know why) when we arrived, about 6:30 on a Saturday evening. We went there after trying two other chain competitors near there which both had long lines. (No worry about the economy or upcomming sequester in this area). There was supposed to be about a half hour wait but my wife asked about a small table by the small bar area, next to the entrance waiting area which was empty, and "luckily" we were seated there with no wait. It was noisy, although to be expected due to it being crowded and our location. Being by the entrance we coulkdn't help notice the patrons comming in. They patrons looked as if they had come to a welfare meeting. So many of them looked like slobs. The menue had changed from the last time we visited there and it was so ordinary with no specials and boring. The menu on their web site looks better and different. I hope that is accurate as I just donb't recall many of the dishes on their web site menue being on their in restaurant menu. I looked around and saw where they used to keep their wine bottles on shelves on a main wall and the bottles had changed size and shape. I asked the waiter, who was very pleasant and helpful, about the changes. He said that the place had been sold twice from the original ownership and yes, they had changed the menue and wine practice and a lot of their patrons had complained about it.

We ordered chicken scaloppini and chicken marsalla as there wasn't a lot else we liked. The chicken scaloppini was bland and tastless. The butter sauce was too rich. The mushrooms, although fresh, looked as if they had not been cooked in the same pan with the chicken, but thrown on top after the chicken was cooked. The chicken breasts themselves had little taste. The artichokes were tasteless also. At least the pieces of prosciutto were there, and good. The chicken marsala was tasteless. I don't know what kind of marsala wine they used, if any, but it was watery and with little taste. The fresh bread was hot and good but we had to ask for grated cheese to go with the dish of olive oil, which by the way had a few specks of peper in it and no garlic or anything else.

When leaving we told the waiter about our disappointment with the dinner and the changes that had been made. He told the manager who seemed concerned and asked if there was anything he could do to make it up. We responded no and said that we would not return.

Needless to say we were very disappointed and will not return and would recommend that anybody with any taste, do the same. We realize that chain restaurants are not the best, but some are a reasonable compromise, which this one was not!

• Visited February 2013