“Why do I keep going here!”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Romano's Macaroni Grill - CLOSED

Romano's Macaroni Grill
Price range: US$21 - US$30
Cuisines: Italian, European
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Ellicott City, Maryland
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Why do I keep going here!”
Reviewed 28 September 2013

I don't visit very often, and every time I always have more to complain about than celebrate. I can't recall ever saying "that was great, let's do it again soon." Today, my 9 year old daughter wanted to go there for her birthday. I don't expect a lot from MG, but when you mess up a spaghetti and meatballs for a 9 year old, on their birthday, and you don't even apologize you don't deserve any future business from me. Have a nice life, but without me in it.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank TidyTonyBoyo

Columbia, Maryland
“Cremini pork shank a plus”
Reviewed 10 September 2013

We visited this Macaroni Grill again. After the last dish my wife had (spaghetti - blah), it took a while to convince her to go back. This time we both hit very good meals.

The bread was quite good, crisp crust and tender inside. It was served with spices in olive oil for dipping.

She had the chicken parmesan. It had a nice crisp crust, with tender breast meat chicken. The side of pasta was essentially angel hair (versus the over thick spaghetti she had before) with a nice fresh sauce, probably made with good canned tomatoes.

My dish was excellent. It was their Cremini pork shank. This is described as over a pound of pork shank, marsala wine sauce, caramelized onions, mushrooms, and garlic rosemary potatoes. They braise it first, then slow cook it. The pork meat was fall off the bone tender. The sauce was great. The potatoes were good. I have the impression that this dish is a special that is not always going to be there -- but it is well worth trying.

Both dishes had portions large enough that we took half home for the next day.

Macaroni Grill is back on our list of places to visit, and my wife now has her go to dish of chicken parmesan.

They seemed to have a selection of wines -- some at half price, but we did not have any.

• Visited September 2013
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
“Adding to June 6 Review...”
Reviewed 14 July 2013

After posting about the horrible visit we had at the Columbia location, we also posted on the Corporate website. We received an email response saying a senior manager would be contacting us. We did receive a personal call from the area manager in Arizona. He was genuinely concerned about our visit and offered us gift cards to make up for our less than stellar dinner in June!

Visited June 2013
Columbia, Maryland
“Good food, good service, good location”
Reviewed 8 July 2013

Since we decided to go on a Saturday, we weren't sure how long it would be. We were certainly surprised when there was no wait at 6:30. My husband and I got the same thing-Penne Rustica. It was very hot and their great bread made it a wonderful, filling meal. They really have their act together-as soon as someone finished, there was a busboy cleaning the table and within seconds, it was ready for the next party. We've eaten there many times and have always had good service and good food. Plus there is always easy parking at this location.

• Visited July 2013
Baltimore, Maryland
“Bit of Italy in Columbia”
Reviewed 19 June 2013

Romano's is a chain but does not seem like this when you eat here.
The fresh rosemary bread is so good to dip with olive oil and its free.
Romano's have many tapas like zucchini fritti (thinly cut zucchini like potato chips) and chianti sausage and crispy potatoes.
We order the create your pasta with your choice of pasta, sauce, vegetables (up to 3, broccolini, garlic, tomatoes, mushrooms, asparagus, spinach, peppers), Extras (chicken, meatball, Italian sausage, roasted eggplant, 2 for $5)
There is definitely enough for two meals.
You can get a side salad with this. The house salad has a nice oil dressing.
If you have room, get a dessert too.

• Visited June 2013