“best of the best!”

Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Little Patuxent Parkway
Description: The Tomato Palace, opened in 1993, is the family-style Italian restaurant adjacent to Clyde's of Columbia on Lake Kittamaqundi. The popular menu is affordably priced and includes pizza, pasta dishes and salads. The atmosphere is casual and fun, with colorful graphics enlivening the walls and menus. Seating is ample for families; and the whimsical tomato chairs by furniture maker Peter Danko are always a favorite. In warm weather there are 50 seats beneath the arbor for outdoor dining by the lake
Reviewed 7 March 2014

I was hesitant to go here because of some negative reviews I had read. My friends and I had been here in 2012 before they closed for renovations and re-opened and we had been very pleased with everything. Having returned last weekend, I cannot fathom why anyone would give this restaurant less than 5 stars. There were 5 of us and every person was completely happy with the meals, seating, service, etc. The seating was great, a large table as requested, with a beautiful view of the lake. Our waitress--Francesca, nicknamed Frankie--could not have been more helpful and accommodating. I went with her recommendation and got the Gorgonzola salad, which was awesome, and the homemade mushroom tortellini--incredibly good. I tasted some of my friends' grilled salmon and it was perfect. Another friend had the chicken Marsala and could not stop raving about it. Everyone said the food was excellent. I had the Tronchetto dessert and it was to die for. Yes it's true they no longer have the garlic rolls. But instead they give you the most delicious warm homemade bread with dipping oil and/ or butter--so much better than the rolls! Most of the pastas were homemade. This is by far one of the best places I have eaten. The prices are reasonable, the food is absolutely delicious, and the service is friendly and perfectly competent. I would highly recommend that you try this wonderful restaurant. We all plan to go back as soon as we can

Reviewed 9 February 2014

I have always loved this place. The menu has changed. Some of my favorites (seafood marinara, shrimp and scallop penne, Parmesan chicken salad) are no longer offered. That is disappointing. However, there are other delicious options. The mussels are reliably good, the chicken Parmesan as well. There is a new grilled chicken salad with Gorgonzola vinaigrette, which was quite good. My husband wanted whole wheat pasta prepared with oil and sausage and peppers. Chef Tom was happy to accommodate. Our friends enjoyed their mambo wings and chicken Parmesan entrees. Manager Brett is a great guy and does a fantastic job. Our server was attentive, efficient and quite capable. It was a long shutdown. We are glad to have you back.

Reviewed 25 October 2013

Having never been to a Tomato Palace, I can't judge on past experience or food. However, we had lunch here and thought it was great. The Tomato Palace salad was made with dark green lettuce and the parmesan dressing was so good. I had a sausage/spinach rigatoni with marinara and it was excellent - well prepared, balanced robust flavors, fresh spinach, just the right amount of gooey cheese, hot. The bread with garlic infused olive oil was crusty and tasty. Others in our party had the pizzas and liked them - the pizzas looked beautiful. Wish I could have gone back to try other dishes.

Reviewed 22 September 2013

Like many others as we headed to Merriweather for a concert we stopped and ate dinner at Tomato Palace. Our family of 4, mom, dad, son one (13 yrs) son 2 (11 yrs), enjoyed our meals. The ceasar salad was very good, great tasting dressing - which makes the whole ceasar. Anchovies were extra, but they gave me a dozen. Side of meatballs was delicious. Son 1 liked his lasagne and Son 2 liked his Chicken Parmesan. The side of noodles that came with the Parmesan wasn't so appetizing. We did sit outside for a beautiful evening next to the lake. I think we would go back. The area however looks like it is going through renovations. Later in 2014 there will be a Whole Foods very close by and the restaurants around Tomato Palace are all getting a face lift. Next time there may be something else worth trying instead.

Reviewed 5 July 2013

There was a concert in the evening on the lawn at Columbia's lake front. It was a beautiful evening and we had an outdoor table at Tomato Palace facing the lake. Best setting in Columbia, fair weather, and wonderful friends--we were pumped. The service was good and everything worked except the food. While I hate being critical, we were so disappointed. Eggplant Parmigiana is one of our favorite dishes out and the rendition at Tomato Palace was the worst we have had--thick pieces of fried eggplant arranged in slightly overlapping rounds with a bit of tomato sauce and cheese. We ordered the pasta with garlic oil and it was literally swimming in oil. The vegetarian pizza has soggy spinach although the crust was thin and flavorful. The pizza has potential but there was no hope for the eggplant. Sorry Tomato Palace for this bad review but it is written in the hopes that learning will occur. Please TP, take note and make changes.

2  Thank pearleco