“Double Disappointment”
Review of House of India

House of India
Reserve with OpenTable
House of India is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #56 of 263 Restaurants in Columbia
Cuisines: Indian, Pakistani
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 17 April 2014

The House of India lunch buffet has been a favorite of mine for years! The House of india I remember used to have signature dishes such as Dhaba Chicken and the best Chicken Tikka Masala around. Times have changed for this venue. The past two visits have resulted in pure disappointment.It is unclear why, but prior visits to this venue which entailed pure culinary delight seem to be a fond memory to what is offered at present.

For starters, the variety of chutney is still outstanding, however, as you move down the line, the once stellar selections have seemed to all but disappear. The Dhaba Chicken is not what it used to be, now served bone-in with completely different spices and most of it was not cooked thorouhly. You will be lucky to get any Tikka Masla since the pan was mostly empty during both my over 90 minute visits. The braised goat curry was very good, when you could find some pieces with actual meat. The only staple with any consistency is the tandoori chicken, which was very flavorful, however, once again did not seem to be re-stocked very often. While this place used to be packed during the peak of the lunch hour, it was relatively empty during my last two visits. In summary, I will most likely be trying competitors just down the road for my next lunch experience.

There are newer reviews for House of India

Reviewed 2 April 2014

Despite being located in a strip mall, shopping center my husband and I really do think this is the best Indian in Columbia. We go each year on New Year's Eve as a tradition. We love their food, service is pretty good. Good for families, date night, special night. They do take out as well (though we've never done take out before).

Reviewed 1 September 2013 via mobile

Having never actually been to the Indian sub-continent, I cannot say I know what authentic Indian food should taste like. That said, House of India is my favorite in the area. We first tried House of India over ten years ago. Over the years, we've tried numerous other Indian restaurants around us and always leave feeling that House of India does it best. Excellent Nan. Tikka Masala is wonderfully complex and delicious. Desserts are very good. Also, the lunch buffet is terrific.

Reviewed 12 July 2013

We have lot of Indian restaurants in this area and this one is very average. The food is very westernized/americanized with no way near the actual indian food taste. Some of the items are good but not all. One good thing is this is near to the lot of offices which will attract crowd. When compared to this, i will recommend "Flavours of India" in Columbia which is more authentic (for buffet).

Buffet here is horrible with very limited items. I have been going to this restaurant for past 5 years and the food quality has depreciated a lot over the years.

Some of the americans might appreciate the food as they are not aware of the actual indian food taste. Indians will never appreciate the food taste here which is very bland.

Reviewed 4 July 2013

I often visit the Columbia MD area but this was my first visit to this restaurant. It doesn't jump out at you, but was highly recommended by friends who frequent the place. Our party of 7 shared multiple dishes so we were able to sample a wide variety of the cuisine. Some were a bit too spicy for everyone even though we ordered everything "mild" so use some caution there. The lamb could have been leaner but we had no other complaints and enjoyed everything. Specifically recommend the Chicken Makhani (butter chicken), Nan (of course), and Prawn Pepper Masala. I will certainly be visiting again on my next visit to the area.