“Good stay but a little noisy”

DoubleTree by Hilton Columbia
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Columbia
Salisbury, Maryland
“Good stay but a little noisy”
Reviewed 13 September 2011

We booked this hotel for two nights while we were in town for a festival at Merriweather Post Pavilion. It is tucked away in a quiet, wooded area that may be difficult to find if you aren't paying attention. We checked in quickly around 11pm the first night, received our keys and our cookies and headed up to our room. Luckily we got two keys because one would not work. We booked a junior king suite which was spacious but had an unusual layout. You entered the bedroom area upon opening the door and there was a couch and office area in the back of the room that was separated by sliding white doors. I was expecting something a little different, but it was fine for our purposes. The room seemed clean on the surface but my wife's allergies could tell that the room was quite dusty. I am a frequent traveler and know that hotel rooms are notorious for having paper thin walls, but this hotel seemed to have the thinnest of them all. I could hear every word that was spoken in the room next door. Luckily, they weren't talking all night long. The bed was adequately comfortable and I got a good night's sleep both nights that we stayed here. Don't expect to get any food in Columbia after midnight unless you want McDonald's or Wendy's drive-thru. We got back from the concert on the second night and the hotel bar had stopped serving food, the pizza delivery people had stopped taking orders and there is nowhere else that is withing walking distance. We had left our car at the pavilion and opted for a cab back to the hotel. We were safe, but starving. I would stay at this hotel again, but only if my favorite in Columbia was sold out.

Room Tip: Unless you need a separate office, don't upgrade to the junior suite. Bring food with you if y...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
new hampshire
Reviewed 12 September 2011

Stayed one night. The hotel had a nice design, with inside rooms looking down onto Atriul area and pool. That's the best I can say. The curtains were soiled and worse, the little "Sweet Dreams" pillow on the bed was filthy, with what looked like drool and food stains (I hope). And don't even bother with the restaurant....

Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank bandb50
albquerque
Reviewed 10 August 2011

Arrived an no one to greet and help with luggage, Desk clerk Barry was new and we had to ask for the cookies. Keys did not work for the room went back and got new keys, Only one worked once, Got luggage in room at the same time Barry #2 (older and wiser) showed up to make sure we got in room. Room had no luggage rack went to desk to report the 2nd set of keys not working correctly and request luggage rack. Acted surprised and said some rooms do not have them but would find one for us. Got another set of keys which worked on again off again. Took about 3-4 mins to get in room.
Checked out early and had breakfast in town as we did not want to fight the key problem again by eating there and then getting our luggage and checking out. This is not like the other Doubletrees we have stayed in. Certainly is equal to a Super 8 establishment

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Central PA
Reviewed 22 June 2011

Once you find this place it is ok. Tried to check in on a Sunday afternoon at 3pm and was told they were still cleaning rooms at this time. The lobby was packed with soccer kids and families as we were there for soccer as well. Came back around 8pm and had better luck. Had some key problems but finally did get into the room. The place was fine and had a good nights sleep.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 20 June 2011

Wow this was a great hotel. Cookies at check in. Free ride in a shuttle bus to the event we attended. Great breakfast. I was alittle surprised that there was no refrigerator in the room. I hope to stay here again.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Lorain, Ohio
Reviewed 6 June 2011

I stayed at this hotel because of a soccer tournament in the area. It is up a long driveway, down a wooded side street. For the directionally impaired, it's not the easiest place to find. The hotel itself has a kind of Jekyll and Hyde personality. The staff greeted me with a warm cookie when I checked in. Once I got my key and lugged my luggage to my fourth floor room (past some rooms undergoing renovation), I found out that the key didn't work. So I trudged back down to the lobby to hear that they really meant the third floor on another hallway. So I guess the cookie was the anticipatory payback for screwing up! I mentioned the room snafu to other soccer folks in the hotel and they said it happened to them too...hmm, I see a trend here.
The hotel itself had a large enclosed courtyard which made for quite a bit of noise when you have entire soccer teams meeting there. I was anticipating hearing noise in the corridors from all the soccer players, but that didn't happen. The room would have been very quiet except that I had to crank up the noisy fan. I would have liked to change the room temperature, but that option wasn't available. The room itself had a TV and desk and comfortable double beds, but no fridge Half the bathroom looked renovated while the tub/shower area had cracks and looked dated.
The hotel had the veneer of security in the morning with a security guard roaming the premises, but the back door was always ajar when I came in. It was supposed to be operated by a room key, but the door didn't close properly.
Typical of any hotel that will host soccer tournaments, this one had a pool. I never saw more than a half dozen kids in it, but it was located in an area that should have kept the noise level down for other guests.
There was a restaurant on the premises which I never used. Instead, I went to one of the numerous local take-out joints. The list of restaurants and directions provided by the hotel for these restaurants didn't seem to jive, so I didn't see the restaurant I wanted until the light of day the following morning.
All in all, I really wasn't impressed with this place and I'd stay elsewhere if given the opportunity.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
Winchester, Virginia
Reviewed 30 May 2011

We just completed a 1 night stay here over Memorial Day Weekend. Check in at 3pm on a Sunday afternoon was an extremely slow process. Apparently they didn't have any double bed rooms ready to go and a soccer team was checking in. Seemed a bit odd how they'd be so limited on clean rooms at 3pm but I guess they were running behind. We had booked our room thru Hotwire so everything was prepaid and the guy asked what type of room we wanted and I said a King was fine so I wouldn't have to wait. They were giving out free chocolate chip cookies but just happened to run out when I got to the front and the guy said to come back later and they would have more. We didn't bother to go back because I waited long enough to get checked in and didn't wanna waste anymore time waiting for 2 cookies.

Luckily that was the worst of the stay. It was apparent the hotel was a little older but you sure couldn't tell that by the inside of our room. Everything was way above average for most hotels I stay at. The bathroom was spotless and beautiful. The bed was extremely comfortable and we had a great night's sleep. The TV was older and had limited channels. The wireless internet was simply outstanding. It was quite possibly the best wireless internet i've ever dealt with. Extremely fast and reliable during our stay. The hotel wasn't really near anything and had a peaceful setting kinda back in the woods a bit. We stayed here to attend a concert in Baltimore and it was quick and close to it. (about a 20 min drive) However we just so happened to get a room next to the highway. If possible and if you're looking for quietness I'd request a room on the other side. The traffic noise didn't really bother us but we did hear some louder bikes and a Rescue Squad or two going by during the night.

All in all we really enjoyed our 1 night stay and wouldn't hesitate to go back in the future.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends