“Cozy Cookies and Comforters saved my trip!”

DoubleTree by Hilton Columbia
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Columbia
Reviewed 21 May 2012

My friend and I recently traveled to Baltimore for a festival. The original hotel we booked ended up being a roach motel and our day of traveling had been a disaster. I found this hotel on trip advisor, called them, and not only did they have a great price and were close to where we needed to be. . .they were AMAZING. We walk in, they are friendly, kind, ask about our day, listen empathetically, and offer us warm cookies. Seriously, I wanted to hug them.

We got to our room and it was perfect, comfortable, and exactly what we needed. The beds felt luxurious with faux down comforters and lots of fluffy pillows. We had cookies every time we came in or went out of the hotel (can you tell they were good?). The staff did everything they could to make us comfortable and happy. The hotel was newly renovated and looked great. We also ordered room service and had breakfast at the restaurant; it too was wonderful, though breakfast was a bit pricey. I will defiantly be staying at this hotel and sister hotels in the future. It totally turned the momentum of our trip around and made it perfect!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank NashvilleBelle

Reviewed 8 May 2012

Rather than wake up at an unreasonable hour to be somewhere in Columbia, 2 ½ - 4 ¼ hours from our homes, at 9:00am we opted to stay local overnight. My parents took care of the arrangements booking 3 rooms for the 10 of us so all I knew was to pack my swim suit as they had a pool.

Was a little concerned when our GPS told us that we had arrived at our destination and all I saw was a Walgreens and a corporate business centre; however, driving a little farther down the road we came across the entrance sign for the Doubletree. I really liked how the hotel was not right off the highway, it gave a nice quiet secluded feeling which is important, especially the quiet part, when one wants a good night rest.

Walking into the lobby I thought I was walking into one of those posh expensive hotels I stay at for work, like the Le Meridian. We were promptly greeted with a friendly smile by the front desk clerk Barry. He checked us in seamlessly and offered us warm chocolate chip walnut cookies.

I thought the cookies were a nice touch as we were on the road over the dinner hour and were a little hungry, plus to me the cookies were there in lieu of a mint on the pillow at turn down.

Overall I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at the Doubletree and would stay here again when visiting the family. The staff was pleasant and professional; the rooms were clean and provided comfortable beds; the pool area was clean, inviting and safe; and the bar/restaurant was both convenient and reasonably priced.

My only suggestion would be to offer more typical bar food items on the menu. We were interested in munching a little that evening but aside from 4 different types of flavored wings and a chicken quesadilla the other options on the bar menu for formal dinner items.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank j9sunshine
Reviewed 8 May 2012

I stayed for five nights at the Doubletree Columbia for a conference in another nearby hotel. I had read about the ongoing renovation, but during my stay in late April, it appeared that almost all work had been completed. I did not see (or hear) any construction on the guest room floors. My room had been nicely upgraded with new furniture and a faint "new" furniture smell, but not at all objectionable.

Front desk staff were extremely pleasant. I'm always amazed how an agent can remember a guest's name (on my first stay) for multiple days. I had one minor problem with the room safe. The engineer who looked at it said that it hadn't yet been programmed, but took care of it while I was gone during the day, It was fine on return and there was a card nearby offering me another cookie for my troubles. In fact, the front desk agent gave me two!

I ate dinner twice in the lounge. I imagine that the menu is a subset of what one can get in the adjacent restauant. Food was fine and the bartender was pleasant and friendly. I had breakfast on several mornings and the buffet was, likewise, fine with attentive service from the staff.

I'd definitely recommend the hotel for a stay while in Columbia.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank jefftiger
Reviewed 5 May 2012

They did a nice job updating the hotel
Nice room , restaurant has very good food all in all a good hotel
I will be staying there again

• Stayed: May 2012
1  Thank ptk21044
Gary_Gustafson, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Columbia, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2012

Great to see you with us again since the renovation is done. We look forward to seeing you very soon. Thank you for supporting the DoubleTree by Hilton Columbia.

Reviewed 30 April 2012

Booked this hotel last minute: decided to get a hotel so we wouldn't have to worry about driving back home after a concert at Merriweather. When we pulled up, we found what looked to be a dated, old hotel. Upon walking in: a beautifully remodeled and modern hotel. Everything was extremely clean and fresh. The hotel had a free shuttle to and from Merriweather, as well. Will always stay here when coming to the area for a concert.

Room Tip: Try to get a room with windows facing outside, not the lobby.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Eric S
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Stayed here for a weekend visit with family in Columbia. Nice clean facility, well maintained. Not many restaurants or facilities adjacent to the hotel, so be prepared to drive if you need anything. Had the breakfast buffet in the restaurant three times during our stay. Very good value for the price. Room was well appointed, bed comfortable, no glaring problems. Wished they had two comfortable chairs in the room so two of us could watch TV, but other than that - really enjoyed the stay.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank jclark12020
Reviewed 22 April 2012

This used to be a Hilton, the new owners
Have updated the rooms and other parts of the hotel all in all a very nice hotel

• Stayed: April 2012