“Home away from home for New Years”
Review of Courtyard Columbia

Courtyard Columbia
Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Columbia
Reviewed 31 December 2013

I stay at this hotel every year for New Years. It is convenient to shopping and restaurants, but most importantly, the staff is very friendly and the rooms are clean. I come every year to visit friends, but am allergic to cats so I must stay in a hotel. This year I was here for 4 nights. Kyra was extremely helpful when checking me in. She was able to upgrade my room to give me some much needed extra space. I know I have many options when coming to Columbia, but there is no reason I can think of not to stay at the Courtyard. I will be back!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 13 December 2013

I stayed here after going to a wedding out of town and was impressed overall. The staff was friendly and the rooms were fairly clean. I found one hair on my bedspread, but that can easily happen in the wash. The sheets were clean and there was even a post-it note that said the bedspread was washed upon arrival. The bed was super comfy.The only disappointment was the breakfast wasn't very tasty--warm food, not just cereal, but kind-of gross. But hey, can't complain about free food!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 December 2013

Spent the night here this past weekend for a nearby friend's birthday party. The location is very convenient to lots of shopping and nearby restaurants. The room was large and clean, and the bathroom was also quite clean as well. Staff was friendly, which I appreciated after a long drive. Despite being so close to several busy highways, the noise from outside was almost impossible to hear, despite our room facing the highway. Overall, a nice stay.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Phil R
Reviewed 9 December 2013

I recently spent a single weekend night here and found it perfectly acceptable. Looks like there are plenty of options available, so that may account for what I found to be a terrific rate, around $71, probably AAA. It was quite near a main road, but I faced the inner courtyard of the hotel so I don’t know if there’s any noticeable noise nearby. Front desk staff were pleasant, very casual, including wearing a gray hooded sweatshirt, which I find unusual for a Marriott property. I guess I never really noticed but I woudl assume there's a uniform(?). I though the rooms were comfortable, a pretty exact replica of a courtyard I just stayed in thanksgiving week in another state. It also has an open lobby restaurant area which is apparently the new style for courtyards, with a little market to pick up snacks and sodas which I find convenient. The restaurant/bar appears to have limited hours, so I’d suggest asking about them. I didn’t try the breakfast, Courtyards don’t provide anything for golds. There is a grocery store (Wegmans) very close by and quite a few fast food options as well as tons of other dining around. Pool was closed – recommend checking on this if booking as I think it just happened to come up on conversation and for some that could be a deal breaker. Parking is free. I have no problem going back here or recommending it, I just don’t know that it’s the best in an area that appears to have a lot of lodging options.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
Thank Ms.Travels
Reviewed 5 October 2013

The Courtyard Marriott in Columbia Maryland is centrally located for doing business at any number of the business parks in the area. It is 20 minutes from the BWI Airport and is located at the end of short road and surrounded by trees providing a very quiet setting. The staff was friendly, check in seamless and the amenities adequate for a short stay. There are many restaurants withing five minutes of the facility or you can avail yourself to the Bistro in the lobby. The prices were competitive and I enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
ColumbiaCourtyardMD, General Manager at Courtyard Columbia, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2013

Hi ColonelBangkok! Thanks for taking time to share this feedback on your most recent stay. I was very happy to hear that not only was the location convenient for BWI and visiting restaurants, but that also our own Bistro and staff at the hotel enhanced the stay. Thanks again and we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 24 September 2013

We just moved our daughter to Columbia, and we will be going there to visit her. This time, we booked a room at the Courtyard by Marriott.

The hotel was in a good location, not a noisy highway situation. The room was large enough and very clean and seemed newly decorated. It had a microwave and small refrigerator. The bed was comforatable.

Staff was friendly, and the lobby seemed fine. The price for the room was fine. Yes, I know it doesn't include breakfast, but the other hotels that included breakfast were much more expensive, making that breakfast one heck of an expensive meal.

They were able to honor my request for a higher floor and some extra pillows.

So why do I think we probably will not book this hotel again when we visit our daughter? We were given a room on the third floor almost directly across from an incredibly loud ice machine and the elevator. We asked for a different room. Yes, it was a longer walk down the hall, but at least the ice machine wasn't so loud.

However, the air-conditioning unit in our room was so loud. It woke us both up in the middle of the night, and I had a hard time falling asleep again. I am not a light sleeper, nor is my husband, and we do not have this kind of problem in other motels/hotels. For both of us, that noisy a/c unit was pretty much of a deal-breaker in terms of coming back.

Room Tip: Make sure they don't put you by the ice-maker!!!