“water scam - be careful”

Sheraton Columbia Town Center Hotel
Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Columbia
West Orange, New Jersey
“water scam - be careful”
Reviewed 9 December 2013

The hotel was nice but my gripe is with Sheraton itself for this water scam they pull.

They leave 2 bottles of water out on the table with a slip on it that says complimentary water. After drinking the water in VERY small print i see. "water free for Sheraton club guests" Oh oh well how much could that be $2.00... NO FIVE.

We also had a problem with our credit card at the restaurant. We payed with a gift card and a credit card. The gentleman (the manager) spoke NO English and tried to charge $200 to the gift card(gift card was for 100). When he couldn't figure it out he just charged the whole $200 to the credit card.. later in the day i found out he did this and had to spend 45 minutes getting it resolved ultimately missing half of the event i was in town to see in the first place.

Nice hotel, not a good experience.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank John S
Joe_Giannino, General Manager at Sheraton Columbia Town Center Hotel, responded to this review, 16 December 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review - we have already spoken on the phone and resolved the issue with the Gift Card; we are very sorry for this inconvenience.
The water tags are clearly marked which our complimentary and which have a fee - I will share your input to see if there is a better way to communicate the offering.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
Ocala, United States
Reviewed 26 November 2013

For the price that we were charged this hotel has much too much deferred maintenance. The room was full of dust, dirty walls, waste paper left on the floor, glass top tables were smeared, tub did not drain, and cob webs on the ceilings. There were stains on some of the upholstered furniture. The exterior of the building had rotten wood trim and some of the exterior doors were missing trim and needed painting. All this would be acceptable at a Summer Camp but not at a 4 star hotel.

Room Tip: Lodge rooms should be avoided at all costs.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Mark B
Joe_Giannino, General Manager at Sheraton Columbia Town Center Hotel, responded to this review, 2 December 2013
Thank you for outlining some of the opportunities at the porperty - I did have a chance to answer your review on our company website. We certainly want to be able to address the issues you pointed out and will continue to make improvments to the property.

Travellers are raving about these Columbia hotels

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 16 November 2013

I was in Maryland for official business during 3rd-5th Nov, and put up in Sheraton Columbia Town Center Hotel during my stay. Despite my early arrival to the hotel, I was given a check-in which was speedy and welcoming. My room located at the lodge was clean, spacious with high ceiling, and day light through the large window was sufficient to illuminate the room very warmly and brightly. It had a good view of the yard and lake Kittamaqundi which was beautiful in the autumn season. For guests who enjoy the outdoor, the hotel is only next to a nature trail surrounding the lake. Overall, it was a pleasant stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with the lake view
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Thank you very much for the kind review - I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and our beautiful surroundings, we are very fortunate to be on the Lake. I will share your feedback with the Teama and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon and exceeding your expectations.
Panama City, Panama
Reviewed 13 November 2013

I stayed in Baltimore from Nov 7 to Nov 11. This Hotel has a great location, 40min from Washington, 25min from Arundel Mills and 25min from Baltimore Inner Harbor. Great amenities which include free wifi, HD tv, atm, business center with printer and laundromat. Even though my room was far from the lobby, there was an access door close to our room and the parking lot. The Mall in Columbia which is just around the corner has great stores and Options for dinner. The only negative thing I have to say, is that they didnt clean my Room 1 day, no idea what happened, but other than that great attention. We stayed in this Hotel and travel to Washington one day very close I said. If I ever return to Baltimore this would be definetly an option.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PaMNRoD
Joe_Giannino, General Manager at Sheraton Columbia Town Center Hotel, responded to this review, 18 November 2013
Thank you very much for the positive feedback on the hotel and associates. We strive to meet and exceed our guests expectations. I will share your comments with our Team.
I willl look into the issue of your room not being serviced - that is unusual.
Please do not hesitate to contact me if there is anything I can assist with in the future and we hope to welcome you back again soon.
Cary, NC
Reviewed 4 November 2013

This was easily my best Sheraton-group hotel stay this year, and I was very impressed with the quality of this hotel - especially at the price. Clean, high-end quality, well-appointed rooms and public spaces; excellent gym; professional staff; flexible and responsive to requests - just consistently good in most every area and clearly a well-managed hotel. It was close to (or on par with) many of the Westins I've stayed at - and I wouldn't be at all surprised if that's where it's headed. About the only negatives I can think of were that the bathrooms were a bit cramped.

And speaking of negatives, I'm tempted to call out some of the earlier reviewers for their complaints about the lodge rooms. Because of these, I paid more for a tower room - and although I was more than happy with the outcome, I did walk through the lodge areas several times on my way to the gym, and got a look at some of the lodge rooms - and really didn't see anything there to complain about, other than the lack of an elevator. The hallways weren't musty at all (as some reviewers had complained), and the rooms were just as well-appointed as the tower rooms. Someone had written something to the effect of "if you see lodge on your reservation, run"... really?? And where would you run to - perhaps a Four Seasons hotel around the corner that's also available at under a $100 a night? Please temper the hyperbole when writing these reviews - you aren't doing your fellow-travelers any favors with needless exaggeration.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Joe_Giannino, General Manager at Sheraton Columbia Town Center Hotel, responded to this review, 11 November 2013
Thank you very much for your detailed review of the property. First and foremost I am glad you enjoyed your stay and found the property and our associates up to your expectations.
I would also like to thank you for your input on the Lodge - this part of the hotel is charming, quite and in some areas offering more amenities....the rooms are identical and in some cases larger. I truly appreciate your input.
Please dont hesitate to contact me if there is anything we can assist with on a future stay.
Spokane, Washington
Reviewed 25 October 2013

Pros: 3rd floor room in lodge section was clean, spacious, quiet, well-lit, and comfortable. Wonderful bed. Refrigerator, microwave, in-room coffee service was greatly appreciated. Restaurant had good food (best sweet potato fries and calamari ever). Free wifi in rooms worked well. Walking distance to mall, restaurants, beautiful lake. Ample parking.

Cons: Hallways in lodge section seemed dirty and musty - time for renovation. No elevator to rooms in lodge areas - big negative. I enrolled in the green housekeeping program and no one even entered my room in my 4 night stay: the garbage was never emptied, and I had to find the housekeeping staff to get more cups, coffee, bags for ice bucket. Odd, to say the least. Service seemed inconsistent: some staff were super, others seemed unconcerned and incapable. Some in our business party said their rooms were poorly maintained or had service problems that went unresolved. No coffee stand in lobby for quick breakfast option.

Overall: Mixed feelings. Okay for short stay. Hotel would benefit from renovation in lodge hallway areas. Some staff need an attitude adjustment and/or more training.

Room Tip: 3rd floor lodge rooms on parking lot side have high ceilings that make the rooms feel spacious. No e...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Joe_Giannino, General Manager at Sheraton Columbia Town Center Hotel, responded to this review, 28 October 2013
I truly appreciate the time and detail you put into your review of the property - thank you. I will review some of the concerns you had with the Team and esnure that they get addressed. I would like to comment on two items that you mentioned:
1.) The Make a Green Choice is a great program that is working towards Starwood ultimate green initiave goal - it is true that once selected there is NO service to the room unless requested. I apologize for the inconveneince and assure you it was not an oversite but the way the program runs.
2.) We offer complimentary coffee 7-days a week in the morning. Monday through Friday it is in the Lobby and the Lodge A entrance and the weekends it is in front of the restaurant. I am sorry if you missed these daily set ups
I will also work closely with the associates as you mentioned that you had inconsistent service.
Again, thank you for the detail and we hope you will feel comfortable staying with us again in the future.
Fort Wayne, IN
Reviewed 24 October 2013

Great view from the Club Lounge. Very comfortable rooms and beds. Room was very clean. Close to many eating and shopping establishments.Very convenient / short walk to the Columbia Mall. The atrium view was very nice. Parking is free and convenient.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you very much for the great review - we are so glad that you enjoyed your stay and the property. I agree we have great views from our Club Level - they are even better in July 4th during the fireworks. I will be certain to share your comments with the Team.
We look forward to being able to host you again!