“OK but confusing”

Sheraton Columbia Town Center Hotel
Ranked #9 of 12 Hotels in Columbia
Reviewed 16 March 2014

Just a single night's stay on business. The hotel sprawls across a pleasant lakeside location. I had a lodge room which it seems is the less modern part of the hotel but was an adequate standard business type room: spacious but I could have done with more power sockets for the usual array of laptops, phone chargers and so on that business customers are going to want. I had a reasonable snack at the bar and breakfast in the restaurant was good too.

A definite weak point is signage. Getting to my room by number it turned out I needed to be in "Lodge C" -- passing through the various subsidiary lobbies along the long, long spine of the building, it was quite unclear which way to go without that piece of information, which had not been given to me with the key. First tip: either sign by room number as well, or add the identifying letter to the room number, as in C456.

Even more confusing was getting to breakfast in the Waterside Restaurant. Following the signs out of my room, I actually failed to find the restaurant. In fact at one point, I found myself in a corridor with signs at each end pointing to the restaurant back the way I had come. When I mentioned this at reception, a helpful staff member agreed that it was confusing. Second tip: nearly everyone is going to look for breakfast so make sure they can find it. Third tip: if your staff already know something is amiss, fix it!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Joe_Giannino, General Manager at Sheraton Columbia Town Center Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2014

Thank you for the detailed review on your stay with us.
We are currently looking into signage for the property to better facilitate moving from the tower to the lodge...this is an important item.
I am happy that you found the associates engaging and helpful. Please let me know if there is anything further we can assist with and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

There are newer reviews for Sheraton Columbia Town Center Hotel

Reviewed 13 March 2014

After looking for a wedding venue- we selected the Sheraton Columbia Hotel. The panoramic views from Waterside Restaurant added the perfect backdrop to our special day. Bebe Miller was phenomenal in the planning process. Profesional and sensitive to our needs. Being a same sex couple, we faced challenges in getting venues to understand the special nature of our day, more importantly, to extent the same professionalism to us- a same sex couple. On the day of our wedding, everything went seamlessly. Blake, the banquet captain was professional and attentive. The servers, John, Irene nd Lupita were exceptional in executing the particulars of our day. The food was beyond our expectations. Chef Kenny even came out of the kitchen to check on us. What a nice touch. Manny and Sylvia were the station attendants and serviced our guests and made it seem effortless. Our guest are still raving about the affair, the food and the Sheraton. Definitely a day to remember! The Sheraton Columbia - a jewel in Columbia's crown.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends

I cannot thank you enough for the wonderful review and mention of our associates, we strive to make event special from large weddings to intimate gatherings.
Please let us know if there is anything further we can assist with and we look forward to hosting your first anniversary!!

Reviewed 12 March 2014

I had a conference in Columbia and stayed at this Sheraton. On first look the building is nothing to rave over, but once inside it's like stepping in a four or five star property. Decor is tasteful and reminds me of something out of Asia. Staff is terrific and food is great too!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

We are so happy that we met your expectations and offered you a wonderful experience. Our property has many different facets from being a corporate property to a relaxing retreat on the lake. We appreciate your input on the associates and food and I will personally thank them.
We look forward to your return!!

Reviewed 5 March 2014

The hotel is a tale of two radically different accommodation. The tower is new, fresh and modern. The lodge is still clean, but older and more basic. I stayed in both areas on trips, and of course I prefer the tower, but when it is high occupancy the lodge is a decent alternative. The food is the restaurant was very good, service at the front desk as impeccable and housekeeping was great

Room Tip: The Tower if available!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Thank you...we are glad that you enjoyed your stay. Yes, our property has two different experiences and we learn what each guest likes, some the higher floors of the tower and others the quiet feel of the Lodge. We will make sure to make a notation in your history that you prefer the tower. I will also pass along your positive comments about the food equability to the Chef - I agree he does a great job.
Please let me know if there is anything we can assist you with in the future and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 5 March 2014

This particular stay has convinced me to break any ties with the SPG brand. At check in, the clerk had some sort of attitude and bizarrely refused to input my SPG number or my husbands, because we didn't have the actual card, just the number. There were no luggage trolleys, and the clerk ignored me when I asked if there was a bell hop or valet available.

As we had already had a long trip to the hotel, we used the room service order for breakfast and hung it on the door. At 2:00 am, I was awakened by loud music and light spilling under the door of the connecting room which was immediately next to the head of the bed. In the morning, I pressed the button on the phone to call the front desk, but it instead connected to a central reservation center, who told me to call the hotel directly. When I reached the desk, I requested to move to a non-connecting room. The clerk asked when I would like to move and I told her that breakfast was ordered to arrive just before 7, so anytime after that. At 7:30 am, starving and jet-lagged, I opened the door to see if the tray had been left at the door only to find that the order had never been picked up. My husband went down to get the new room assignment and make sure we got breakfast, and the clerks at the front desk began to have a conversation with each other, apparently astonished that there was such a thing as a breakfast order that should be picked up the evening before. We moved quickly to the new room, as my husband had an overseas meeting to call into, only to find that we had been given a room that was not only shabbier -- but was another connecting room! I went down to ask again for a non connecting room, and the clerk demanded that I return to my room to get ID, at which point I spoke to the manager to let her know that this stay so far had been unacceptable and that because of the ineptitude of the staff I had not been able to eat or sleep. She was very professional and understanding, and did even send up a note with some wine and fruit that evening apoligising again. After retrieving my ID, and narrowly avoiding tripping on the pulled up carpet in front of the 5th floor elevator, we were given the third room on the fifth floor. It was not a connecting room, but had a queen bed, stained furniture, ripped wall paper, and a leaking toilet. We made the mistake of ordering room service for dinner, being too exhausted from the previous night without sleep. Crabcakes were a regional specialty and were fine. The Cesar salad was a watery mayonnaise disaster made with just stalk end ribs of lettuce that were inedible, Bourbon salmon was ok, but the potatoes tasted like sweetened paste, as if they had been made with sugar in place of any salt and then whipped into a gluey glob. To his credit, I did get an email from the chef, as the tray was returned with most of the food untouched and a note about the salad.

Overall, the staff was uneven, the room service unacceptable, and the condition of the hotel itself shabby.

Room Tip: If you have no choice but to stay here, make sure that you do not have a connecting room or a room o...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Stats2014

I am in receipt of your review of your stay with us and am so very sorry for all the issues you experienced. If time permits could you please reach out to me at joe.giannino@sheratoncolumbia.com so we can speak about these issues and come to a resolve.
I am glad that our Chef reached out to you and him and I spoke about it at length.
I hope that we are able to touch base soon!

Reviewed 28 February 2014

Herbert, from your AV team was fantastic.
His patience and calm approach was very helpful and I know challenging with a bunch of Microsoft techies in the room. He made my presentation easier to deliver. Thank you Herbert!

• Stayed: February 2014

Thank you very much for writing a great review on the property and your experience with Herbert, we will certainly pass along your comments. We pride ourselves on handling needs big and small and could not be happier that we were able to hold our own with the techies....look forward to your return in the future.

Reviewed 24 February 2014

I recently visted the area and stayed at the Sheraton Columbia. Check in was fast and easy. My room was clean and well maintained and each staff member that I passed in the hall greeted me with a smile and a hello. I ordered room service twice, both times I was happy with the quality and taste of the food and the delivery was fast and professional. I had trouble getting on the internet and the front desk staff stayed on the phone with me until I was online. Because my stay was extended because of the snow, I ran out of some personal items which housekeeping quickly supplied me with. When I checked out, I was surprised to see that the outside walkway had been shoveled and salted so I could safely make it to my car. A member of the engineering staff even helped me clean the snow off of my car--True 5 star service!!.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the water....it is lovely
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Joe_Giannino, General Manager at Sheraton Columbia Town Center Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2014

Thank you for your great review, 5-Stars, of the property and our team. We were all happy to be hear and servce our guests through the snow storm and enjoyed getting to meet everybody. I will pass along your comments to our Chief Engineer about the assistance you received - that is wonderful to hear. Again, thank you and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon!