“Business Training”

Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Columbia
Leawood, Kansas
“Business Training”
Reviewed 15 June 2014

The positive about the hotel is the location to Laurel and BWI. It is also very quiet so no traffic noises or hearing other guests. Check in was fine, usual for a big hotel. The staff was per functionary and not overly friendly. Did not even get a"welcome to the Sheraton." The room was clean but the over all condition was tired. It is time that they upgraded this hotel. Was probably really good back in the 70s and 80s but not so much now. But the beds were comfy and it was quiet. There was no breakfast and I had to go to the desk when I was checking out to get a copy of the receipt.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Joe_Giannino, General Manager at Sheraton Columbia Town Center Hotel, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Thank you for the feedback - we always appreciate.
I wish we were able to exceed your expectations and we will address the issues you have mentioned.
One of our Green initiatives is we no longer deliver guest folios and offer to email or collect at check out. We are sorry this created an inconvenience.
I hope that we are still able to welcome you back again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
Reviewed 15 June 2014

The tower rooms are spacious and clean. The staff is friendly and the food and room service are all good. This is the best hotel in Columbia, by far. Parking is easy and the hotel has a good location, not far from 29, 95, and about 20 minutes from BWI.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Thank K. Scott A
Thank you so much for the positive feedback on the property and our ease of access from the surrounding area.
I hope we get the chance to welcome you back again soon.
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 12 June 2014

For starters, there must be a disconnect based on reading all of the positive reviews. I have been in this hotel on and off for a few weeks now and my experience has been very different.

Cleanliness - towels. There has not been a week I don't need to exchange bath towels- even when I begin the week "Green Choice". As the picture I submitted, there are always stains on the towels - yellow, black, food, sometimes smelling of maple syrup. You name it, I have probably seen it. This week, the housekeeper told us the floor towels are in the dryer (they are out) and she will bring it to us when they are dry. Of course, we never see any floor towel until next day, when a different housekeeper cleaned the room.

Cleanliness - carpet. Carpet stains as shown in pictures. Some rooms are worse than others. The first floor in lodge is the worse by far.

Maintenance - bathroom. The picture I have is the door frame of the bathroom in the lodge. The wood is dry-rotted so bad that it probably can fit rodents in it. I did not include the shower pictures but in numerous occasions, the shower liner has black stains on the bottom edge and over 50% of the time, I find some kind of left over soap/lotion/shampoo goo on the shower liner.

The tower rooms are significantly better, however, the higher you go, the worse the water pressure when showering. Furthermore, the toilets tend to require holding the handle so that it has enough time to drain.

TV - it depends on your luck. If you are on first floor of lodge. Odds are not in your favor. As my picture show, no signal period. This happened in the tower as well on the 8th floor!

Internet - my ipad won't detect any signal occasionally. The internet was apparently replaced within the past few weeks. Speed tests are showing even when its connected, it is slower than what I have experience in the weeks before. Even when you purchase their $9.95 plan my speed test was showing 3 Mbps for download, 4 Mbps for uploads. To give you some idea, a 3G AT&T device can easily hit 5 Mbps for download. My colleagues have described situations from their room where they were hitting 26 range Mbps a few weeks ago before the hotel switched service providers.

My advice to the hotel: Inspect the rooms. Establish a level of acceptable quality. Shut down rooms that do not meet those quality standards. Get maintenance on that to improve the quality.

The head of housekeeping should be inspecting rooms after a room has checked out for basic things:

1> Internet connectivity (give them an iPad to test it)
2> FULL replacement of linens and ensure they are clean. If the linen comes out of the dryer not white and clean, throw it out!
3> Check the TV and channels (both in the low range and high range)
4> Check that the batteries in the remote work.
5> Check the drawers and make sure they are clean inside
6> Inspect the coffee maker...I won't use it because I have found one with the remnants of usage in it when I checked in before
7> Check the ironing board...if it has stains on it, clean it or replace the cover
8> Check the iron for scorching marks/abrasions.
9> ensure the toilet flushes with just the press of the handle and doesn't require the handle to be held down.
10> ensure the sink is clean
11> check the inside of the shower liner for cleanliness
12> check the window sill YUCK

Room Tip: Inspect the room on arrival. Make sure the 12 points above are checked.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

Joe Giannino

Travellers are raving about these Columbia hotels

East Orange, New Jersey
Reviewed 10 June 2014

When we first arrived we were very disappointed with the room, however after alerting the front desk of our disapproval, they immediately made the situation more pleasant by relocating us. During our visit we were assisted by Tyrone who actually moved us from room to room. He also made himself available when we needed help leaving, and throughout our stay he was very accommodating.
Deadral MCCArthur, Director of Management was also vey helpful, friendly and pleasant we she was made aware of our displeasure with the hotel. She made every effort to correct the issues and we were most appreciative of her demeanor in serving us.

Room Tip: Choose rooms on the west side of the lobby.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Joe_Giannino, General Manager at Sheraton Columbia Town Center Hotel, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Dear Jaeview,
Thank you for the 4-Star review and mentioning two of our associates - this means a great deal to them to know they positively impacted your stay with us.
I hope that should you return to Columbia in the future you will stay with us again - we look forward to it.
Thank you.
New York, New York, United States
Reviewed 9 June 2014

This was a good place to stay because it was in close proximity to the Columbia Mall and Merriweather Post Pavillion where I attended an event. It was a little confusing to find at first because it is hidden in the circle it's located in. The lobby area was very nice and check-in was quick. They take debit cards for your stay. I stayed in the tower which was nice. The room was nice, but very cold upon my arrival. I know I was in Maryland with the heat, but I walked into an ice box and when I turned the heat on it smelled like something was burning. I slept well and check-out was quick, but my only gripes are as follows:
- if check out is at noon, why is housekeeping knocking at my door, not once but twice, once at 8am and again before 11am. I felt like we were expected to be out of the room before the official check-out time.
- one of my white towels was dirty and since there were only 2 towels in the room to use ( the other being used by my roommate) my choices were limited.
- I was not sure how the wi-fi worked. There was no info in the room about how to sign on and if there was a charge. I was able to access the internet free of charge with no problem during the night by just selecting Sheraton guest on the available networks list. However, during the morning around 9am I had issues with getting internet and all of a sudden a page popped up asking me for my name, room number and how many days I wanted to use the internet with another pull down box with a dollar amount in it, that I was sure would populate once I put my info in it. So again. I thought that was a sign that we had overstayed our welcome before the official checkout time.

So in short, if you choose to stay at the hotel it's close to events and the mall, internet is shaky, inspect the linen and towels, and expected an early wake call from housekeeping.

Room Tip: You have a choice to stay in the tower or the lodge.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Dear SMP272,
Thank you for the review....clearly we have some items to address and I will look into each one.
I am glad you enjoyed the concert and our property. While you were with us we were installing a new high speed internet system and there were some days where the intro page was on and off based on internal work being done - I am sorry this inconvenienced you.
I will work closely with housekeeping on the two issues you had (towels and early knocking for service)....these will be quick fixes.
I hope that should you need to be in Columbia again or attending a concert at Meriweather that you will consider staying with us.
Thank you.
Huntsville, Alabama
Reviewed 3 June 2014

If I could give this hotel a lower rating I certainly would. This is an absolutely revolting hotel. The room was shabby, smelly, had two large dumpsters sitting right beside it. The entrance had rotting wood, peeling paint, standing water. The rug and furniture were dirty, the internet in the room did not work. When I arrived nothing in the room was plugged in so I had to crawl around on the floor (in the dark) to plug in the lamps. The wall paper was peeling and had big sections that had been cut out and replaced with wall paper that did not match in color. The wood ceiling moldings were falling apart. And the entire hotel looked the same. Dirty, grimy, paint peeling, furniture chipped, dirty and the faux wood finish was sworn off to bare (cheap) swoop. I did not get coffee replaced by the housekeeping. When I tried to use the business center computer I could not get on because it said my name and room number were invalid. The last time I was here four years ago they entire lobby was under reconstruction, this time the entrance to the hotel is blocked off and under construction, it's a challenge to figure out how to get in, no signs, very inconvenient and dangerous trying to load or unload at the hotel "entrance." I cannot think of a single good thing to say about this hotel. Sheraton should fire their manager at this hotel. DISGUSTING PLACE! Why would any hotel treat "guests" this way? Simply inconceivable.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank astromel
Joe_Giannino, Owner at Sheraton Columbia Town Center Hotel, responded to this review, 7 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. While I wish you had a better experience, it is feedback like this that we learn from and use to improve. We work hard to deliver an exceptional guest experience, and it's apparent in this case that we fell short.

The construction at the entrance was a necessary fix and am very sorry that it impacted your stay negatively. I am happy to report that it is complete and looks great.

If you give us a chance to earn back your trust, I can assure you that we will do our best to give you the great hotel experience that so many of our guests have grown so fond of.

Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 1 June 2014

This hotel is located in a great location near the Columbia. There are many eateries as well as close to the main highway. The food was excellent from the restaurant. The rooms are comfortable. The parker is very good, which there is a deck in front of the hotel to park.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sheshe2u
Joe_Giannino, General Manager at Sheraton Columbia Town Center Hotel, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Thank you for the review and we are all glad you enjoyed your stay and the amenities the proper offers. We hope we will be able to welcome you back again soon.