“Excellent”

Sheraton Columbia Town Center Hotel
Ranked #9 of 12 Hotels in Columbia
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Excellent staff. Love this hotel. Great relaxing stay, beautiful wooded scenery behind hotel. Great restaurants within walking distance. This was my second time staying here and I definitely will return.

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Smash08
Joe_Giannino, General Manager at Sheraton Columbia Town Center Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2014

Thank you so much for the wonderful review - I am glad you enjoy the property and our great location between the Lake and the Columbia Mall. Look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Reviewed 24 July 2014

I needed to go to Columbia MD for some business training and we stayed at the Sheraton because the company doing the training had a relationship with the Sheraton although it was not the closest nice hotel to the training center. We also chose the Sheraton because all the other nice hotels jack their prices up during the week to outrageous levels while the Sheraton kept its per-night price the same for Sunday through Tuesday.

So pros and cons:

Pros:
-The hotel staff was very accommodating with the exception of one instance (see cons below). They were willing to do nearly anything for your comfort.
-This hotel is near A LOT of stuff. My wife accompanied me on this trip and had plenty nearby to keep her happy. Including the Columbia Mall.
-As mentioned above, this hotel did not jack their rates up during the week like others, but I may have gotten a special deal because of the corporate connection mentioned in my intro above.
-Hotel has a shuttle bus. A big deal for me. I could leave the vehicle for the wife and get a ride to my business training. A $5 tip for the driver (hey, these guys need the money…TIP THEM!) is cheaper than the 10-15 dollar cab fare and I enjoyed talking with all three drivers.

Mids:
-A good overall hotel in a decent location with amenities and a lake nearby for scenery. Lots of stuff around to do. Bring your wallet, Columbia aint no cheap location. Gas is high too if you are from a place that has less concrete and lower taxes.

Cons:

-We stayed in the “Lodge” portion of the hotel. Our room in this section is in need of a renovation. The carpet was buckled and stained and everything was well worn. Clean though, nothing disgusting.
*There was this wonderful large area in our room…completely unfurnished with a lone, small fridge sitting on the floor that looked like it came out of a frat house all dented and sad looking. If you had like 4 kids and wanted to put them in sleeping bags on the floor it would be perfect… but we thought it was bizarre they would not even attempt to furnish that part of the space. A table with a couple chairs, a stand for the fridge to get it off the floor would have been nice and a cheap microwave should not be that hard to afford for a Sheraton…but we had no way to reheat coffee or anything and a bare carpet floor in that area.
*There was “Starbucks” coffee pouches for the in-room coffee. I was excited at first, but it was terrible…we went out to the store and bought our own instant pouches which are actually fairly good for instant these days. The coffee in the lobby was just as bad…Starbucks does good coffee but whoever chooses their coffee for this hotel has no idea what good coffee tastes like. I don’t expect in-room coffee to be great but the lobby coffee has no excuse.
*they want you to go “green” and re-use your towels, etc. but there was only one tiny hand towel rack…we had to hang our bath towels on the 1970’s vintage closet door handles to dry.
*Why do so many hotels have no program guide on the TV? Is this so hard to do? It would be nice to see what is coming on TV without having to go to TV guide on the internet. Just dumb, but not just here.

-the hotel staff person at the front desk was nice enough but did not properly inform me of the best route to our room. I explained we had plenty of stuff to unload to the room. She should have suggested we unload at the main entrance, use a luggage cart to take our stuff down the corridor and then only six steps down right to our room. Instead I was told to park near the entrance at section “A” where there was no cart available and a long walk with everything including several steps to our room.

-Be sure NOT to get a room near the leading dock! Oh my gosh….our room was at near-ground level by the dumpster (section A). By 7 to 7:30 AM there was all kinds of activity including contractors with the incessant backup beepers on the trucks…if we had needed to sleep in I would have had an altercation with someone. Thank goodness I had to be up at that time to go to training.

-CHECK THE SCHEDULE OF MERRIWEATHER POST PAVILLION BEFORE YOU BOOK! If you are going to a concert there, this hotel is good for you, but otherwise you will be a victim of the late-night partiers that have zero respect for the sleep of others. You will hear slamming doors, voices and unexplained noises well into the wee hours as well as whatever kinds of possible freakazoids walking the halls earlier depending upon whatever kind of bizarre band or festival is going on. No one was violent or anything, but be prepared for the unusual and the loud. Also, clearly someone above us had peg-legs…heel to toe people, heel to toe…this is how we learn to walk properly!

-Be careful of the bottled water in the room left by the ice bucket. One is labeled “complimentary” and is placed in front. The other is labeled $4 and is to the back. Small print and one would assume they are the same after reading the first. They are not. The hotel said they would not charge us for it…we’ll see.

-Security! Last by not least. The window facing the dumpster in our room was unsecure except a stop that keeps it from opening only a few inches. There was no latch to secure it and it sat un-level with a crack of air at the top. Bugs could easily crawl in and an industrious criminal could have propped something up on the exterior wall to climb up and easily gotten in quickly with a pry-bar. The window faced the main entrance so unlikely, but you never know. Hotel staff can miss a lot…for instance…next…
*As we explored, I found a ground level back door ajar. Yep, nice security card readers…but no need, just walk right in. The next day, the wife and I went out that way to walk by the lake to a restaurant…same door, ajar. My wife being the girl she is says “I’m going to close it”…nope, couldn’t, it would not close even if forced.

I am not a complainer and I have to quell my wife who is. Personally, my experience is that most employees these days don’t care, don’t do anything about it and resent having to if they do. I don’t trust people like in restaurants for instance so I do not complain as a rule, I just take my money elsewhere next time if I’m not happy.

Everything I wrote here could easily be discovered by hotel management themselves with few exceptions without the feedback from patrons, so there is no excuse.

Room Tip: See review. Be careful where your room is located.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Joe_Giannino, General Manager at Sheraton Columbia Town Center Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

Thank you very much for the detailed review of the property.
It appears that we were able to meet most of your expectations and I assure you that I will review the entire review with the entire Management Team so we can, together, address the and resolve the issues.
Again, Thank you and I hope we have the chance to welcome you back again.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

it was near great restaurants and the Merriweather Post Pavilion - our stay was very average. The front desk service was extremely slow; elevators were broken; staff not very helpful/friendly. We tried to purchase from the 24 hour market and had to wait in line 20 minutes for two drinks; two front desk people were working with travelers who had issues; a 3rd person kept staring at her monitor and never once bothered to ask if anyone needed help. Manager bypassed these lines several times while we were standing there and never once offered to help; or apologize. I wouldn't recommend.

1  Thank Shari1121
Joe_Giannino, General Manager at Sheraton Columbia Town Center Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2014

Thank you for the feedback and I am truly sorry that we did not meet your expectations. I will review all of the points with our team and assure you we will make necessary changes.
I hope that you will still consider us for a future stay.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

First of all, the hotel is located on a lake with a path to walk around and several places to eat whinin walking distance with a mall that is also accross the street and within walking distance. The outside pool is cleaned everyday and wonderful.
I had an issue getting back into my room after a late check in. They immediately gave me another room and let me know when my room was ready. Brain at the front desk and Milton on the evening security staff went above and beyond to help me make me feel like I was the only person that needed to be taken care of even though sevaral other people where checking in. The next day, Doreen at the front desk went out of her way to meet me after work and made sure that I just wasn't happy with outcome, but that I was overly impressed with what really was a minor situaltion.
Each morning, I was created with a smile and a good morning. Nothing was an issue at this hotel.
The entire staff has exceptional customer service that makes them stand out over any other hotel that would be difficult to duplicate.
If you are looking for a clean, no hassle, quiet hotel, with reasonable rates, free parking, nice size rooms and exceptional customer service with plenty of outdoor activies. I recommend this hotel for any individual or family as a destination.

Room Tip: I enjoyed the lodge over the tower. It allowed me to park close to me room, and it was closer to th...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Joe_Giannino, General Manager at Sheraton Columbia Town Center Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2014

Dear Donald,
Thank you very much for the 5-Star review and mentioning a few of our associates; this is very appreciated. We are all glad that we were able to exceed your expectations and that you enjoyed the location of the hotel - nestled between a beautiful mall and lake.
We hope that you are able to return in the future and look forward to serving you again.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

We stayed at Sheraton Columbia Town Center Hotel recently on our way to New Jersey. It's easy to get to and conveniently located in the heart of downtown Columbia right on the lake waterfront. There are several dining options within the hotel that are great but if you choose to go out, you are steps away from the waterfront restaurant options. Beautiful grounds and lake.

The staff was extremely friendly and accommodating and our room was very spacious. The best part was the incredibly comfortable beds. I would definitely stay here again. It's a great hotel, especially if you're traveling with your family and that includes your dog!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Thank you very much for your wonderful review and we are glad that you found the property convenient and accommodating.
We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 20 July 2014

We booked for the location due to a concert our daughter was attending at Merriweather and could'nt be happier. The staff where all very friendly and helpful. We requested a microwave and had it within 10 mins.. Front desk even called to make sure it had arrived and that we were happy with it. Room was clean and comfortable. Very nice all around location.

Room Tip: Higher rooms seem to have less noise. They had activities down on the lobby level and you could hear...

Dear Deb,
We are very glad that you and your family chose to stay with us while attending a concert at Meriweather. As the closest hotel to the venue we are always happy to have the concert goers staying with us. Looking forward to having you back again for next years line up.

Reviewed 19 July 2014

I was not as pleased with my stay as I had hoped I would be. The lodge was difficult to get around,there were lots of stairs and no elevators so maneuvering the bags was a challenge. The house cleaners station was just outside of our room so they woke us up every morning chatting loudly amongst themselves. Also, every day SOMETHING was forgotten. We never had enough towels, the second day they forgot wash rags, the third day hand towels. We ordered breakfast one day and didn't get utensils so ate pancakes with our hands. The internet went down for an entire day while we were there and I am in IT so I needed to login to work. The ironing board and iron were very cheap. Overall, it wasn't terrible but not great either.

Room Tip: Choose the tower - not the lodge.

Teresa,
Thank you for the feedback on the property. I am very sorry that we were not able to do better and meet your expectations. Reading through the issues it appears to be a number of smaller items that we should have easily been able to achieve.
I am very sorry and hope that you will allow us an opportunity to serve you again and demonstrate that we listened.
I will also make a notation that you prefer tower accommodations.