“Best option in Crisfield, but that isn't saying much”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Paddlewheel Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Crisfield
Paddlewheel Motel
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Crisfield
Columbus, Ohio
“Best option in Crisfield, but that isn't saying much”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

First of all, Crisfield is small. I mean very small. So there aren't very many options on where to stay. The Paddlewheel Motel, which is now called Captain Tyler's, is an old school motel. It reminded me of the places we stayed on family vacations in the 70s - and it hasn't changed a whole lot since then.
The motel is two stories with no elevator. All doors are on the outside, and parking is directly in front of the rooms on the first floor. The rooms are very clean and have some updates such as a small flat-screen tv and a dorm room sized fridge. There are no extras -- no coffee in your room, no small bottles of shampoo or conditioner, no free paper or breakfast. There is a reasonable attempt at wi-fi service but it cuts out regularly.
On the plus side, the service is very good. When I asked for an extra towel or a late cleaning, the staff was extremely pleasant and helpful. Although the office is not always staffed, the office manager's cell number is posted on the door and she does answer.
On the down side, we had cigarette smoke smell in our room on more than one occasion. This is a non-smoking facility but it seems like that isn't enforced. The smell was pretty unpleasant.
To sum -- this is a perfectly good place to sleep. It is safe and clean. But don't expect a hotel-type experience because you aren't going to get one.

Room Tip: Ask for the first floor if you have any issue with stairs.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Karen V

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Suffolk, Virginia, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

If you plan to visit Crisfield you are probably going for the rustic Chesapeake experience. Paddlewheel Motel will absolutely enhance that experience. It is your two story motel right out of the 50's. Renovated and updated yes, but all the feel and sensations of rustic. I say it is the best place to stay because your choices are extremely limited.

Every room has a plaque that lets you know this is a non smoking room. However, some people are bent on breaking that rule and our we were fortunate the owner was accommodating and allowed us to change rooms for our second night. As others have stated the rooms are very clean and I absolutely agree. Bed linens and towels are clean and fresh smelling. Soap is marginal so bring all personal hygiene products with you.

I love the Chesapeake Bay and I'm now a fan of Crisfield. When I return I will stay at The Paddlewheel Motel. Tim

Room Tip: Room 13 had the cigarette smell. Room 7 was very nice.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Tim C
Yonkers, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2014

My family and friends, have been crabbing and cruising with The Crab Place for 4yrs straight..We absoutley love,love love it..Fun, fun, fun the whole weekend. Everything about the trip and stay at the Paddle Motel is right. Ms. Donna (paddlewheel manager) is sooooo sweet and she goes out her way to accomodate you.I feel like we've been friends for years..The place is very very clean and efficient.The rooms equipped with king or (2) queens size beds, microwave, small fridge and a flat screen tv. The price is another attractive factor. Wouldn't stay everywhere else...

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank 68denisec
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2014 via mobile

Our room was Super Clean, we met a great staff, had a flat screen t.v., small refrigerator, microwave, big walk in shower, two lounge chairs in rooms with King Sized beds, and priced right.... What else can I say...

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
7 Thank Dont08901
Glen Rock, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2014

My son and I stayed for two days. The room and the bathroom was spotless clean. The service was friendly like we were old friends. I plan on going back to Crisfield in the spring and this summer and this is the place I'll choose to stay.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank paulheinlein
Crisfield
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2014

I have had 4 Vets come to the Crisfield area this winter to hunt with me. There are not alot of places to stay in town. Told the Vets to use the Paddlewheel due to the reviews. The outside is out brick , but the rooms are all updated and very nice. The Vets liked their stay and told me i should use it again.

Room Tip: lower level
Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank Cody2012
Cincinnati
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2013

Clean & comfortable. Comfortable beds, new flat panel TV, refrigerator & microwave in room. No amenities provided other than soap. No elevator to 2d floor. Great location near marina & restaurants. Friendly accomodating staff. Telephones may not work--bring your cell phone, shampoo,etc. Old-style family run type motel. Location & price make it a good value.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
7 Thank Roger M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Crisfield
Holiday Inn Express Pocomoke City
#1 of 1 in Marion Station
The Gables
The Gables
#3 of 5 in Reedville

Been to Paddlewheel Motel? Share your experiences!