“Good food and entertainment.”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Wasabi Steakhouse

Wasabi Steakhouse
Ranked #79 of 104 Restaurants in Cumberland
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups
Fort Ashby, West Virginia
“Good food and entertainment.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014

This restaurant has two small dining rooms; one is a standard diining room, the second has the diners sitting around the cooking area. Once seated and your orders are taken, the chefs entertain the guests with a display of their handling skills with their cutlery. It is always amusing to watch children as the chefs slice and dice their meals and toss them bits. The food is good and there is a separate sushi menu if you prefer your food raw.

• Visited April 2014

Cumberland, Maryland
“Amazing food, horrible service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2014

My boyfriend and I used to come to the restaurant once a week. We love their food (I still miss it) but their service is the worst I've ever in my life come across. We are always nice and forgiving people, as we both have worked in the food business (understanding how courteous it is to be patient, nice, tip well, and come at a reasonable time) so we always tip at least 20%. One time I had gotten off work later than usual and we went up an hour and a half before their closing time (which we thought wasn't too bad of a time to come in). When we walked in the waitresses started giving attitudes and the bus boy stood in the corner, watching us eat and talking to himself mumbling about "a******s coming in at closing"

Like I said, we used to come in at least once a week always giving them good business. Ever since that incident, everytime we came in the bus boy would do the same thing, talking about us making comments, etc. One time I took my brother with us and his friend. The waitresses job is to seat you, take your food and drink orders, and refill your cup (not too much to ask for) At the end of the meal the waitress gave my brother his check and while giving it to him she told him he needs to tip (????) It was very uncomfortable to sit there, have someone talking about you while eating, and then have the waitress demand a tip after poor service.

The last visit my boyfriend and I had at wasabi was and will always be our last one. We came in at 4 pm and was seated. They took our orders, then when the waitress went to get our salad and soup, the bus boy took it from her, brought it to us. He sat mine down in front if me and I said thank you... He replied "you're unwelcome" he set my boyfriends down and my boyfriend said thank you. The busboy said "I hate you". We immediately got up and walked out. The waitresses chased us down into the parking lot. We told them what happened, very calmly. In the middle of what we were saying they nodded, turned around, and walked back into the restaurant. When we got home we called the restaurant and talked to the manager nicely about what happened. He said that the busboy has anger issues and is on meds and we asked why they don't put him in the back or kitchen where he doesn't have to deal with customers. He said there's nothing they can do about it so we told him we will not be returning because we do not feel comfortable eating in the restaurant.

I've talked to several people about this restaurant. Everyone loves the food and everyone also complains about the service, many about the bus boy. It's a shame, they have amazing food. I have never had rice and hibachi food like theirs anywhere else, but the service is NOT worth it!!!

• Visited August 2013
Grantsville, Maryland, USA
“Almost Unique”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2013 via mobile

Cumberland is not blessed with many good Asian restaurants, Wasabi is certainly good! Decor is pleasantly Japanese. Service was excellent. Our sushi was excellent and nicely arrayed. Green tea was not from a tea bag!.

Visited December 2013
Bedford, Pennsylvania
“very mediocre Chinese”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2013

There were some unusual items, e.g., eel, on menu, but most were rather standard at any Chinese [and most Jap] resturants. Wife & traded portions, neither of which were especially good or delivered in usual large portions. As a previous review said, you may wish to go to McDonald's after to fill up. In short, overpriced and mediocre food.

• Visited April 2013
3 Thank scooterpup
Petersburg, West Virginia
“Worst Japanese Restaurant Ever”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2013

My wife and I ate here on 4/13/2013. Let me start by saying this is the only Japanese restaurant we have ever been where you can spend $25 for a meal and leave hungry. I ate chic fil a afterwards. This is not our first trip here but we have decided it will certainly be our last.

We were promptly seated at our table, only to wait 30 minutes for the chef to arrive and start cooking the meal. Our chef immediately gets off on the right foot by squirting a guy at our table with water in the face with a "pee-pee" doll. The guy was clearly annoyed. Getting a refill on drinks takes an act of congress. We have had this issue during previous visits, where we will sit for 10 minutes or so with empty drinks before the waitress comes by to refill them (once this happened on a Sunday at noon, when we were the ONLY two people in the entire place!!) The waitresses during this visit and on prior trips have shown that they are not attentive. There was a stack of chopsticks next to our table. Another patron asked my wife if she would get her a pair. So my wife grabbed some for everyone at the table. The waitress then comes by and attempts to pick them up while stating we aren't using them. Of course we aren't using them because we haven't received our food yet. I guess this is another cost cutting measure. In my experience here they have never offered chopsticks.

I ordered shrimp and fillet mignon ($21.95) and my wife ordered filet mignon and scallops ($21.95). She ordered her steak medium and mine was medium well. The steaks were put on our plate at the exact same time and both were well done - no pink whatsoever.

Everyone at the table receives 2 appetizer shrimp, even if you don't order shrimp. Since I ordered shrimp, I received the 2 appetizer shrimp plus another whopping 5 shrimp - not the big variety either. Doing the math that comes to about $1.40 per shrimp. The other patrons at the table received approximately 15 to 20 shrimp. Maybe I should have ordered what they ordered. I uploaded a picture of the steak and vegetables. The vegetables are a joke. Any other restaurant would give a boatload of vegetables. Not here. You get next to none. My wife literally received four 1 inch pieces of zucchini, a little tiny piece of broccoli, 1 slice of a mushroom, and a sliver of a carrot. Neither of us received any onions. For the entire table they literally used a thin sliver of an onion, probably about an eighth of an onion.

I spoke to the manager about our visit very calmly as I have laid out in this review. I wasn't seeking anything free. I mentioned that I thought feedback was important and for what it's worth, he should know. He didn't seem to care and didn't so much as offer an apology or I'm sorry you felt this way. He seemed annoyed. He only asked who was our chef. However, I would like to know that when feedback is shared with a manager that he/she is concerned enough about the quality of the service, etc. at the restaurant to somehow indicate he/she will look into the matter, perhaps thank the customer for sharing the information, and maybe even offer an apology for the poor experience. While the manager did listen to the feedback, the lack of concern/apology ultimately, made us decide that would be our last trip to Wasabi.

I'm typically not one to complain, but the poor service seems to be consistent from visit to visit and actually, seems to get worse. For the amount of money people pay to eat here, I'm sure you'll agree that the service should be much better!!

• Visited April 2013