“Lovely Inn”
Review of Bruce House Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cumberland
Bruce House Inn
Ranked #1 of 4 Cumberland B&B and Inns
Jeffersonton, VA
“Lovely Inn”
Reviewed 29 October 2013

The Bruce House is a beautiful house with nice touches. Plus, Pam was an excellent host and we felt very welcome. Her breakfasts were amazing. We stayed in the Columbian room and were so pleased. I would recommend this inn to any one.

Room Tip: We liked the 1st floor, no steps. Nice big room with new bath.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Fred835
InnkeeperPam, Owner at Bruce House Inn, responded to this review, 12 November 2013
Thank you for the wonderful feedback! We try very hard to provide a great experience for our guests, and are always pleased when guests take the time to let us know they enjoyed their stay. Thanks again for choosing the Bruce House, and we hope to see you in the future!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Torrington, Connecticut
Reviewed 15 October 2013 via mobile

We stayed here before leaving for a week long tour on the GAP by bike. Our bikes had a indoor, locked area. Breakfast was eggs benedict with muffins, and fruit served in the dining room with fire in the fireplace. There was wine for an evening happy hour or cookies and coffee. We stayed in the Monk's room on the 3rd floor. It was quiet, clean and comfortable. There were extra heaters if we felt we needed them but we were very cozy. Deb, our host, was aware of all the special needs of each of her guests and had great dinner suggestions.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank roadieplanner
Thank you for the kind words, and for taking the time to let us know you enjoyed your visit! I'm glad you chose to stay with us, and hope the rest of your journey was enjoyable. Have a wonderful holiday season, and we hope to see you again!
West Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed 6 October 2013

Church bells and train whistles in the distance - two of the greatest sounds on earth. Yet the quiet and safety of this marvelous place was exactly what I needed. It's above town and in an old residential neighborhood but still within walking distance for most of my needs. They had a full house both nights but the only notice I took of the other guests was when we assembled for breakfast each morning. It was pleasantly quiet. I stayed in the Crow's Nest on the 3rd floor. My room was exceptionally clean and tastefully decorated. Pam and her staff couldn't have been nicer and were available at all times it seemed. I expect to return

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Thanks for the lovely feedback! We enjoyed chatting and getting to know you, and I am so glad you enjoyed your visit with us. Thanks again for choosing the Bruce House and we hope to see you again.
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 3 September 2013

I reserved two nights based on TripAdvisor reviews and was glad I did. My daughter and I shared the Monk's Room on the third floor and except for lugging our suitcases up the steps, we were delighted with the room. It was bright and spacious, although not as clean as I would have liked with visible dust under and on the furniture. Breakfast was excellent and beautifully presented. Location had convenient access to the interstate and was within walking distance of the downtown area. Staffing seemed erratic but when we did interact with someone, they were helpful and friendly, as were some of the guests we met. I have few reasons to return to Cumberland but if I did, I would stay at this B&B again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Just catching up with responses as our busy season finally slows down! It was lovely to meet you and your daughter, and I'm glad you enjoyed your visit. It coincided with my assistant Whitney's last week before she headed off to her dream internship at Walt Disney World, so it was a busy week. Hope you and your daughter enjoy a wonderful holiday season, and thanks for choosing the Bruce House!
Grand Ledge, Michigan
Reviewed 29 August 2013

This was our first stay in Cumberland and the Bruce House Inn was wonderful. It is a beautiful old home with lots of charm but the amenities are very nice. We were in the Monk's Room (3rd floor) and it was quite spacious, including the bathroom. Overall, they have kept the old charm of the house with some nice updates. Breakfast was very good and nicely presented. Angie, who had only been working there a week, was extremely pleasant and helpful. Would highly recommend this B & B if you're staying in Cumberland.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
InnkeeperPam, Owner at Bruce House Inn, responded to this review, 3 September 2013
Thanks for the kind words! I have passed your remarks on to Angie. I think we found a 'gem' with her! I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay; it was lovely to meet you and I hope to see you here again.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 14 August 2013

This is our second visit to Bruce House, and I must say I noticed evidence of decline. The main problem was our bed, a vital component in any B&B. Our room was on the third floor, and had a mattress that was completely spent and saggy in the middl, so I got very little sleep and woke up with back pain. The blow dryer only blew cold air so that was inconvenient. However, the room was very clean, the linens were nice, as were the towels and robe. But I am not sure these other comforts can justify a mattress that needed to be replaced months ago and remains in use.

The front room had a small refrigerator in which I was told I could place a bag of snacks, and it was quite dirty. Liquids had been spilled in the bottom and dried up, and I was not comfortable putting my food in the fridge. In addition, some of the chairs in the breakfast room had had liquids spilled on them and were stained. Although the chairs were dry and I am sure efforts had been made to remove the stains, the chairs remained stained and looked quite distasteful. Also, the hostess was not as available this time as she had been last time. In fact, she was only available upon request.

The breakfast itself was marvelous, even gourmet, with excellent service, but the notable decline in the overall quality of our experience did not warrant the price. I hope Bruce House Inn can return to its original quality, comfort and charm.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank funklady9999
InnkeeperPam, Owner at Bruce House Inn, responded to this review, 20 August 2013
I am sorry that your return visit was unsatisfactory. We have many return guests, and strive to continually improve our service. I'm glad you enjoyed our gourmet breakfast and your room was clean and well-appointed. The hair dryer has been replaced; it is helpful when guests let us know that something is not working properly so we can rectify the problem. All of our mattresses are top of the line Sertas, purchased in 2007 when the inn opened. As such I checked that mattress out and could find no problem with it. The refrigerator is used by many guests, and although we clean it regularly sometimes spills occur. The same applies to the upholstered chairs in the breakfast room. I have checked both the refrigerator and chairs and they are all in good condition. I am sorry that you felt I was not as accessible on this visit. As the owner/operator, I work seven days a week cooking, cleaning, checking guests in, arranging dinner and train reservations, even setting up emergency dental appointments and finding car mechanics who will work on the weekend for my guests. However, even innkeepers occasionally need time to eat, sleep, shower and spend time with their families. When guests are in the inn (which is virtually always this time of year) I never turn my phone off. In addition to our lower weekday rates, your group was given an additional multi-room discount. I'll be glad to forward the actual prices to you. Considering our location, breakfast, private bathrooms, amenities, wine, tea, cookies, etc, I think our rates are quite reasonable. We have made many inprovements to the inn but have not raised our rates in four years, despite virtually all of our costs increasing. Guests are enjoying our freshly landscaped front patio with its new fountain, all new artwork throughout the inn, and a new line of spa-grade personal amenities in addition to many other updates. We continually strive to create a great experience for our valued guests, and our reviews reflect this. I hope that you will visit us in the future and rediscover what we have to offer.
Fairfax, Virginia
Reviewed 8 July 2013

My husband and I stayed in the Washington room at the Bruce House Inn in Cumberland, MD. The room was clean, comfortable and nicely decorated. There was complimentary wine for happy hour, cookies in the afternoon and a delicious breakfast in the morning. The center of town and the train station was a short walk from here. We came for the train ride and there's not much else to do in the town but I would highly recommend the creamery if you're an ice cream fan.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Thanks for the lovely feedback! I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again in the future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cumberland
Ramada Cumberland Downtown
Best Western Braddock Inn
Gunter Hotel
Gunter Hotel
#2 of 6 in Frostburg

Been to Bruce House Inn? Share your experiences!