“Romantic Inn in Cumberland”
Review of Bruce House Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cumberland
Bruce House Inn
Ranked #1 of 4 Cumberland B&B and Inns
Alexandria, Virginia
“Romantic Inn in Cumberland”
Reviewed 29 September 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Bruce House the night of our wedding and we couldn't have picked a better place to stay in Cumberland. We stayed in the Robert Bruce Suite, a secluded and room on the main floor of the Inn. The dark woods, rich leather, and tall ceilings make for a stunning, luxurious atmosphere.

When we arrived late after our wedding, we had chilled champagne and chocolate covered strawberries waiting for us, along with flickering candles throughout the suite. It was perfect. Breakfast the next morning, delivered to our suite, was delicious and nicely rounded out a wonderful (albeit short) stay at the Bruce House.

Both my husband and I are from the area and have family that we normally stay with when we visit Cumberland, but we're tempted to book another night or two at the Bruce House anyway! If you're visiting Cumberland or the surrounding area, I can't think of a better place to recommend.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Maryland
Reviewed 21 July 2009

I can't say enough nice things about the Bruce House Inn and Pam, its wonderful hostess. We were greeted at check-in with complientary wine, which was the perfect start to our stay. The room was comfortable and the breakfast was amazing. My husband and I stayed in the third-floor Monk's Room while our friends stayed in the Washington Room on the second floor. It was the perfect place for our quick weekend getaway.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends
DC
Reviewed 10 May 2009

We spent a night at the Bruce House Inn and could not have had a better experience. We stayed in the Robert Bruce Suite - a terrific suite with stunning wood paneled walls reclaimed from an historic train station. Our hostess, Pam, was gracious and helpful without ever being intrusive. She welcomed us, gave us an introduction to Cumberland and, of course, served us a great breakfast in the morning. You can walk to anything. A stroll through the historic residential neighborhood (of which Bruce House is part) is a must-do. You can also walk to the Cumberland Trail Connection - a bike shop that rents bikes to explore the C&O or the Great Allegheny Passage trails (we took the latter and had a fine ride along the Cumberland-Frostburg railroad -- one of the other guests had biked over three days up the C&O from DC (180 miles, and he was continuing to Pittsburgh!)). In the evening, we walked into downtown (about 5 minutes) and bounced from gallery to gallery and concert to concert at something called Arts Walk. After all this, we'd probably have slept on any mattress, but the Bruce House excelled here too with a really comfy bed...

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
Washington, D.C.
Reviewed 4 May 2009

We stayed in the Monk's Room for one night- it is a beautiful, large room, with a large bathroom. Great care was obviously taken to every detail, from the period furnishings to the very modern bathroom fixtures to the color scheme. The bed was to die for- the only bad thing is it was so comfortable I did not want to leave the room. The room was generally very quiet, except for some church bells ringing, which I think only adds to the charm of the area. Since the Monk's Room is on the top floor, I think that also helps create a very quiet environment. The inn itself is also very beautiful, including the dining room and common areas. There are books available for guests to read if they wish.

Pam, the innkeeper, is very pleasant and accomodating. Breakfast in morning was very nice, with two courses! The location of the inn is ideal, in a historic neighborhood surrounded by old churches and lovely old homes. It is easy to walk from the inn to the historic downtown area, which is basically all we did during our stay other than hang out in our room.

We did have one unpleasant experience during our stay- we got locked out of the inn in the evening upon returning from a late dinner. We had our key but it would not open the door. Apparently another guest had turned a lock from the inside that is not supposed to be locked. It took us awhile to find the number to call the innkeeper for emergencies, but once we found it and called her, she came over immediately. She indicated that she intends to remedy this problem in the future.

Overall, that did not change my impression of the inn as a very nice place to stay. I would still highly recommend it to friends, and I hope to return in the future. I would much rather stay here than at the Holiday Inn downtown, which looks like a big ugly box.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
Ann Arbor
Reviewed 18 April 2009

We stayed in the Robert Bruce Suite. There was more than enough room for the three of us. Pam, the owner was great. Check in was quick and she gave us a short introduction of the town of Cumberland and gave us a very good recommendation for dinner - Baltimore Street Grill. We were able to walk to the restaurant which is located in a pedistrian mall in downtown Cumberland.
The bed was comfortable and the sofabed was fine for my son. Breakfast was very filling and good.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
Somewhere in Virginia
Reviewed 26 November 2008

My wife and I had a great three day escape to the Bruce House. Pam was a great host. We enjoyed our time there and found the price fair, the room clean, the common areas comfortable and the breakfast delicious.

• Liked — Location and price
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
Bayside, NY
Reviewed 5 September 2008

It was a pleasure to relax and unwind at The Bruce House Inn after a day of touring Cumberland and its environs. My family and I wish to thank Pam for making our first stay at a bed and breakfast so memorable. My family's tastes are simple, so we usually had french toast or omelettes. However, everything was delicious, and I know Pam could satisfy even the most sophisticated guest with her cooking. Pam also helped me surprise my wife and son for their birthday on August 21.

My wife and I stayed in the La Salle Des Freres room on the third floor which features the largest, most comfortable bed I ever had the pleasure to sleep in. Both our room and our sons' room were immaculate. The dining room and the common room are small, creating a relaxing atmosphere should you wish to chat with other guests.

After nine nights at The Bruce House Inn, we were truly sad to leave. We felt like family after a short while, even meeting Pam's children, Emily and Jake, and enjoying Emily's scrumptious coffee cakes with breakfast. I highly recommend The Bruce House Inn to anyone who wished to relax, unwind and be taken care of in such a professional, yet caring way.

• Liked — beds
  • Disliked — too many steps
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cumberland
Fairfield Inn & Suites Cumberland
#1 of 5 in LaVale
Gunter Hotel
Gunter Hotel
#2 of 6 in Frostburg

Been to Bruce House Inn? Share your experiences!