“Eastern Shore Bliss”

Ranked #4 of 5 Easton B&B and Inns
wilmington, de
“Eastern Shore Bliss”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2008

I made a reservation at the Miles River Guest House with plans to propose to my girlfriend of three years. I had hoped to book a two night stay, but schedule permitting, I was only able to stay for one night. And, I have to say, that following our brief stay on this piece of Eastern Shore paradise, my only regret is that we couldn't extend our stay through the next week.

Our gracious hosts, Will and Dorothy Howard, made every effort to accomodate me in my special requests to arrange for flowers and champagne to be available upon our arrival. Will also arranged a particular highlight of our visit--the couples massage, given by Natalie-who's gentle touch and friendly demeanor will put anyone to ease on the massage table.

We later had dinner at a local Easton restaurant (the reservation was made for us prior to arrival by the hosts) and the dining experience was unparalleled.

The next morning we awoke to a beautiful sunrise on the Miles Creek and took the canoe out for a paddle (also free of charge to the guests). Breakfast consisted of fresh cut fruit and tasty pastries from a local bakery.

Overall, our experience far exceeded any expectations we could have had for our time at the Miles River Guest House. I feel that it provides all the perks of a private rental, but with the unobtrusive presence of very knowledgeable and friendly hosts, who make your satisfaction their top priority. I can't say enough good things about this place and would be willing to bet after a sunset massage by the pool, you will likely agree...

• Liked — Too many to list
  • Disliked — No problems at all
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
1 Thank seanpr1182

Solo
Business
Chesapeake Beach, MD
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2008

My fiancé and I have had the most wonderful experiences at the Miles River Guest House on multiple occasions. We first stayed at the Guest House in 2006 for a short get-away on a Thursday and Friday. After experiencing the warmth and hospitality of the proprietors, along with the breathtaking views and cozy rooms, we brought additional family to the Guest House and extended our stay through the entire weekend. Our memories from those four days are frequently discussed and for my girlfriend’s birthday this year (and surprise marriage proposal) I again chose Easton as our destination. The proprietors added romantic touches to the House, arranged for excursions and dinner reservations, and again showed sincere thoughtfulness for their guests. When I walked my girlfriend out on the pier at sunset I could not imagine a more romantic and memorable setting to ask for her hand in marriage. I had looked for an unforgettable location or event to pop the question and my thoughts kept returning to the Miles River. To the Howard’s, my deepest heartfelt thanks for making this moment so special.

Now, for a more analytical review: We have stayed at a number of different locales and the Guest House is by far the most serene. You are the Guest, no adjacent rooms, no other “one-of-a-kind” bungalows; The House is yours and yours alone. During both of our stays we felt as if we were staying at our own private resort or vacation home. The proprietors respect your privacy and yet have always been available when called. They have lived in the area for many decades and know the hidden treasures, the best spots for tourism and leisure, or who to call for a quick cruise on the Bay or a hard-to-get reservation in St. Michaels. Mr. Howard made the bulk of the arrangements for our “engagement” stay and he could not have been more attentive.

The House itself is spacious enough to comfortably hold 4-6 people, the kitchen and dining areas are well appointed with fine china settings and enough cookware to prepare a meal if you desire, and a gas grill sits just off the patio. The living areas are warm and inviting, beautifully decorated with memorabilia, and a testament to the life the proprietors have led. HD satellite is available though we used it only once during our stay. The outdoor areas are perfect for family or couples as the pool is gorgeous and spotlessly maintained, the swing fun as well as romantic, and the pier offers a view of the River seen only by a select few. If you enjoy fishing or crabbing the pier is a great spot and the crabs in particular are especially sweet.

We’ve paid both the weekend and weekday rate and I’d have to say the value of either is better than any other vacation spot we’ve stayed at. Although it seems I’ve been gushing for the entire review, there are so few downsides that we experienced during our stays that I would indeed have to nitpick to come up with a criticism. Tops all around, highly recommended, and we truly look forward to our next stay.

• Liked — Privacy, warmth, and hospitality
  • Disliked — Having to leave
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
Chevy Chase, MD
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2008

We just got back from a week at the idyllic Miles River Guest House, near Easton. The location is superb--a long view of the Miles River, exquisite sunsets, lovely guest house and private pool. The hosts--Will and Dorothy Howard--are gracious and attentive.

We are kayakers, and the best part for us was exploring the Miles River and its creeks by kayak. We had our own kayak, but the guest house has a sturdy two-person kayak for guest's use.

From the dock at the guest house, we were able to take 3 separate water trails--on two tributaries of the Miles and on Gloucester Creek. All three were tranquil and offered abundant bird-watching. We saw blue herons, osprey and eagles. The vegetation was varied and interesting. In our three midweek trips, the only other boat we saw was a commercial skipjack.

This is a great place to kayak for beginners--the sheltered creeks offer wind protection and no need to worry about dodging power boats.

More advanced kayakers will love exploring the endless miles of creek and rivers.

We also kayaked at nearby Blackwater Nature Reserve. Compared with the Miles, we saw very little bird life and found the vegetation uninteresting.

The guest-house is a very easy drive from the DC area--great for weekends or leisurely week trips.

Easton had interesting shopping and great restaurants.

• Liked — kayaking, superb sunsets, attentive hosts
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Easton
Inn at Perry Cabin by Belmond
#2 of 5 in Easton
Tidewater Inn
Tidewater Inn
#4 of 9 in Easton

Been to Miles River Guest House? Share your experiences!