“Was not the best experience”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Columbia East - Elkridge
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Elkridge
GreenLeadersBronze level
Lexington Park, Maryland
“Was not the best experience”
Reviewed 23 June 2014

HIE is one of my top choices in hotels, however this particular one did not impress me. The first room I was given has serious issues, disgusting ones. It looked like it had been partially made, but it wasn't. The beds were badly made, not tucked correctly and looked like they had been laid on already. In the bathroom was an unflushed toilet full of poop! We walked right out and went to the desk manager who quickly appologized and gave us another room on the 3rd floor. Getting off the elevator I noticed a smell, it seemed like this was a smoking floor, although smoking was not allowed on any floors. The room also smelled funny like it had been smoked in previously. My wife decided it was ok so we stayed, but i wanted to go complain again. The A/C unit looked like it had some sort of fungus growing in it, which could have been the smell, not sure. I didn't notice that part until the next morning after we had been breathing it in all night.

I doubt I will come back to this location. 2 bad rooms in the same night is not a good ratio.

Room Tip: Check the bathroom!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank SolidStateS15
HIExpressColumbiaGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Columbia East - Elkridge, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Our staff and Management would like to thank you for taking the time to send over your comments into regards to your recent stay. We have shared your comments with our department managers so we can ensure mistakes like this does not happen again. Please contact one of our management staff if you would consider a future visit with us again in the near future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Stayed June 6-8, 2014 contacted the hotel a few days before arrival to not only confirm reservation but also confirm accessible room. I ambulate with a wheel chair. I spoke with Brianna and our room reservation was not for an accessible room. Brianna spent a good amount of time sorting things out and never once complained or made me feel like I was bothering her, quite the opposite the entire staff was the definition of customer service. Once we arrived on what was a very busy weekend they accommodated us and moved our family so we could all be on the same floor. The accessible room was good especially the roll in shower, it was well appointed and showed consideration for folks in chairs.
The morning breakfast was great and again the staff ready and willing to help.
Over all great experience

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank ksqred
HIExpressColumbiaGM, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Columbia East - Elkridge, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
The Holiday Inn Express and Suites in Elkridge Maryland would like to thank you for your recent visit to us. We are glad to read that you were very pleased with the service, room, and staff members specially Brianna. I will be sure to share your comments with her. Thank you again .We look forward to welcoming you back in the future
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Our family stayed here in two rooms for 2/3 nights. It was very pleasant.
Rooms are spacious. Queen beds were *very* comfortable. We had no problem with noise from either the elevator or the highway, but it was the weekend.
Breakfast was excellent. Good service, good food, nice eating area.
Restaurants within walking distance (Italian, Sushi) are very good. (We didn't try the Mexican)
Staff is efficient and friendly.
An excellent choice.
Only issue is finding the way into the entrance from the road. We missed the small signs. We should have paid more attention to the hotel's directions, which are very clear.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Paul_from_VA
HIExpressColumbiaGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Columbia East - Elkridge, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
The Holiday Inn Express and Suites would like to thank you for your most recent visit to our location and we are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope to see you again in the near future when your travels brings you back to the area.
Reviewed 29 May 2014 via mobile

Comfortable beds, clean bathrooms, large bedrooms, a basic breakfast buffet, and a smiling staff. What more would you want from a popular chain that's a cut above many of the others. Oh, it's also within walking distance of a super pizzeria, and there's a gas station on your way in or out. The pizzeria is Panzini.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Hal G
HIExpressColumbiaGM, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Columbia East - Elkridge, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
It is so rewarding to read that you had a wonderful stay with us. We are extremely pleased to hear that the cleanliness and comfort of our hotel met your standards and also that the staff added to the overall value to your stay. Thank you for staying with us. Looking forward to seeing you again in the near future.
Gurugram (Gurgaon), India
Reviewed 21 May 2014

I travelled and stayed in this hotel for business and to tell you the service and rooms here are very good and comfortable. The hotel staff was very corteous in arranging for my cab as I was new to this place. The complimnetary breakfast offered is amazing.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Manish26in
HIExpressColumbiaGM, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Columbia East - Elkridge, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. we 're thrilled that you found our staff to be courteous and helpful.Costumer service is a top priority of ours, so we are glad that we were to meet this goal.Thank you for staying with us we look forward to welcoming you back in the future
Rahway, NJ
Reviewed 20 May 2014 via mobile

Nice property, courteous staff, but WAY overpriced.
Will not be staying here again.
200$ for a Holiday Inn Express ?
Uh, no....

Only redeeming point, it is across the parking lot fr a great Mexican place. Otherwise, I would have left already.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Robert C
HIExpressColumbiaGM, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Columbia East - Elkridge, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
Thank you for taking time to provide us with your review. We do appreciate your feedback regarding pricing. We apologize that you felt the rate was not comparable with the service and facility. We strive to price our rates to be competitive with the other hotels in our market ( Columbia, MD) Should you have a need to stay in the Columbia area again, please reach out to the Management Staff and we will do our best to accommodate you and your budget.
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
Reviewed 13 May 2014

My husband and I stayed here one night here, and things were almost perfect.

The room was attractive, spacious and - most importantly - very clean looking. The beds were comfortable and there were two choices of pillows. I'm particular, so I always bring my own.

Breakfast was adequate*; not gourmet but enough choices to get me going. *The skim milk in the carafe by the coffee was spoiled. I added it to my coffee, and at first I thought there was something wrong with the coffee, but it was the milk. I gave the whole milk the sniff test, it was fine, and the coffee was okay.

Ask for a room on the side of the hotel facing away from the highway. Our room overlooked the highway, and it was noisy. I use earplugs, so it didn't affect me, but my husband didn't sleep very well as a result of the noise.

All in all, a nice stay. AND it's right across the parking lot from a terrific little Italian restaurant called Pazani, which I recommend (see my review for Pazani on Trip Advisor).

The complimentary shampoo, conditioner, etc. were of decent quality and smelled good.

Room Tip: Ask for room on the side facing AWAY from the highway and away from the elevators.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Debia M
HIExpressColumbiaGM, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Columbia East - Elkridge, responded to this review, 16 May 2014
Our team at the Holiday Inn Express In Elkridge Maryland would like to thank you for your recent visit. We are pleased that you enjoyed the stay with us. We look forward to having you back to our location very soon in the near future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Elkridge
Comfort Suites Columbia Gateway
Best Western Plus BWI Airport Hotel - Arundel Mills
DoubleTree by Hilton Columbia
Hampton Inn Columbia
Hampton Inn Columbia
#4 of 12 in Columbia
Sleep Inn & Suites Downtown Inner Harbor
Hilton Garden Inn Columbia

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Columbia East - Elkridge? Share your experiences!