“Decent hotel, but go elsewhere for breakfast.”

Comfort Suites Columbia Gateway
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Elkridge
“Decent hotel, but go elsewhere for breakfast.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2013 via mobile

We stayed here in September: we were in town for a wedding and chose this hotel due to the suites (there were three of us) and because the room rate included a hot breakfast.

The room was very spacious and overall pretty comfortable. My 13 year old did complain about feeling the springs on the pull out bed, but that can happen anywhere. It would've been nice to have a door between the living room and the bedroom door privacy, but not a deal-breaker. The bed was a bit hard for my taste and the pillows were ridiculous.

The daily hot breakfast include eggs, make your own waffles (from pre made batter), breakfast meats, and fruit. The eggs were awful! Overly salted and they looked like army field rations. The waffles were edible, but the strawberry tasted fake. The coffee was terrible: weak and no flavor. We ate the hotel breakfast one time out of our five night stay, choosing to spend time and money going elsewhere.

There is a pool, but no hot tub. It appears it had been recently removed. Not a big deal, but would've been nice to sit in after a swim or workout.

We booked an ada room, which to my surprise came with a shower bench. That was so incredibly helpful as during my stay I was on crutches.

Not sure we would stay there again. It definitely had pros and cons, but overall is a decent hotel.

• Stayed September 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Orlando, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2013

This hotel is not easy to find. Ensure that you have a GPS or a street diagram with you. Basically it is just behind the Shell station but you have to circle around the large new townhouse complexes to access the hotel.

The hotel staff are friendly and helpful. My room was comfortable and in good working order. However, the noise from the AC unit and the bathroom fans was a bit too loud for comfort. For some reason the pillows were very small. This and the noise level is the reason i did not give this property a 4.

The staff is friendly and very helpful. Internet service was excellent. Breakfast was exceptionally good. Best eggs, bacon and ham that I have seen for a long time in this type of hotel.

You need a car if you are staying in this location as there is not many good restaurant choices within safe walking distance. A taxi from BWI will cost you about $35.00.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Howell, New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2013

I travel for work a lot and usually use Comfort Suites among three other chains. This location is right in the heart of all the action near Baltimore Harbor. There is plenty of shopping malls and town centers and a ton of restaurants within a few miles of this location.

The location itself is a bit strange as it is tucked back from the highway and it is necessary to wind through several back streets. There is also a ton of new townhouse construction all around this location. Using a GPS it was easy to find, be prepared for lots of traffic during the rush hours and note that a huge warehouse distribution center is nearby. I also encountered a 5 minute wait at 8AM for the half dozen school buses picking up kids en masse at the entrances to the developments. This can only become more magnified when the other sections are completed.

The free breakfast was as expected and they had a fresh coffee maker that makes each cup individually. The pool was very small and not really for doing exercise laps. The sign said pool and spa but there was only the pool. The room furniture was comfortable, there was two large gashes in the carpet right in the middle of the seating area.

As a choice gold member I was given a card that said thank you for being a gold member. I thought that was pretty lame as it is common place to give at least a bottle of water sometimes with a snack. But the most lame thing which will keep me from returning to this property is they do not award choice privilege points for stays that are "discounted".

This is something I encounter from time to time. The individual hotel has the right to decide if they will award points and under what circumstances. Most of the properties I use do give the points even though I use a business discount program. This property chooses not to and therefore I have to choose another hotel when I am again in this area for business. I believe that a points program is in place to attract business and it is the dominant factor when I choose my hotels and it should be administered to everyone regardless of the price they pay.

Room Tip: The king beds face the highway, which is noisy. The back side is quieter.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
New Cumberland, Pennsylvania, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2013

We were pleasantly surprised that the hot breakfast included a server, Kim. She kept everything stocked and anticipated what we were looking for as we stumbled around in the unfamiliar surroundings. She even made our waffles since it was obvious we were neophytes. The food was good, but the service was outstanding.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Chester, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2013

From the time I arrived the customer service was just Awesome ! The room was very neat and clean . The breakfast that comes with the stay was so fresh and tasty ( Kim ) was just outstanding with her customer service was just over and beyond. Kim made sure that my breakfast was like being at home kudos to her ....and to Choice Hotel for having someone like this on your staff. I will always look for a Choice Hotel to stay !!!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank El L
Rochester, New Hampshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2013

I decided to write this review based on a particular incident that gave me a very positive feeling concerning this property. As far as the general property goes, it is an above-average Comfort Suites, quiet, comfortable and neat. It is in a convenient area, but in a odd location, an odd little 2 block drive of the main highway. I have stayed here several times for business in DC and have always found it very satisfactory.

On this occasion, I stayed here overnight while taking my mother from Georgia to New Hampshire for extensive medical treatment. She is 80 and does not travel. Being ill in addition to this made for an very uncomfortable journey. We ate the simple breakfast, and Kim, the breakfast attendant, went out of her way to make everyone in the room feel comfortable. She was especially kind to my mother, but she was great to everyone that rushed in for a simple cup of coffee. I was very impressed, and recommend this place to anyone traveling in the area.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Livefreeordie_11
Mecklenburg County, NC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2013

This is one of the top 10 hotels I have ever stayed in. Why? It really is a suite. The sleeping area is truly separate from the living area (there are two TVs in the room). I wish there had been places like this when my kids were little, so adults could comfortably stay up with the lights on in another part of the room. It is about 5 miles to the nearest grocery store (if you want to eat in your room after a long travel day).

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank BR54967
Also consider these accommodations in or near Elkridge
BWI Airport Marriott
#11 of 29 in Linthicum Heights
Little Italy
Courtyard Baltimore Downtown/Inner Harbor

Been to Comfort Suites Columbia Gateway? Share your experiences!