“Not what we expected...”

Sinking Springs Herb Farm & Retreat
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Elkton
Sinking Springs Herb Farm & Retreat
Ranked #3 of 3 Elkton B&B and Inns
Baltimore, Maryland
“Not what we expected...”
Reviewed 5 November 2013

My partner and I went to Sinking Springs- it looked lovely online and I saw positive reviews. The grounds were beautiful and Ann- the owner was very nice. When we went into the cottage we were hit with a musty smell, cobwebs, spiders, and found a roach in the bathroom. The bed was very uncomfortable and the baseboard heat didn't work and the flue in the fireplace was broken. We were scheduled to stay for two nights, but following a sleepless night and not wanting to use the shower that want clean- we decided to go to a hotel. When we told Ann, her attitude changed and she became defensive and refused to refund our money- insinuating that we had too high standards for the cleanliness of a farm and the cottage. After some debate- she refunded $40- of the $250 we paid for the weekend. We found a lovely hotel, the Sheraton Suites in Wilmington that was clean and had excellent service that helped us to recover from this awful experience.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank meredith2day

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Halethorpe, Maryland
Reviewed 6 June 2013

Well I read a number of the other reviews and I need to say that I have mixed feelings about the negative ones. First of all, this farm is absolutely beautiful. The flowers, herbs and trees were full and aromatic. We arrived and were promptly greeted by the nicest woman in her cute little blue hat and welcoming smile. We had a tea already booked for 11:30 and headed over to the farm house, where we were served a very fresh and tasty lunch/tea. Ann uses her herbs, and the freshest ingredients in preparation of the meal. The iced tea was a wonderful combination of white mint, pomegranate, & other juices and so refreshing. Ann then took us on a tour of the herb farm. She is very knowledgeable and teaches you uses for the herbs. We also had our choice of making a Lavender sachet or an herb fussy-mussy (similar to a nosegay).
Now if you expect to stay in an upscale, fancy cottage, you would be disappointed. The cottage was rustic, cozy and small. It was great for 2 women just wanting a "girls get-away" overnight. There was air conditioning, which we really needed since it was in the 90's. In the shade of the cottage we were able to sit outside on the porch and have our breakfast, which by the way, was the best oatmeal I've ever had. Ann cooks it in some kind of fruit juice and adds pears & raisins. Yummy! Since we were going birding very early, we requested our breakfast early. Ann was totally accommodating. I would stay there again if I wanted to go for 1 or 2 days to explore Cecil county and all it has to offer. There are hidden gems on the farm like a Revolutionary War graveyard, Labyrinth & Sycamore tree dating back to 1578. Ann also has a beautiful setting for weddings.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank RosebudV71
Allentown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 8 May 2013

Nice lady and nice grounds but the place is more of a converted garden shed than a real house, think 2/3 scale. The bathroom was infested with tiny biting ants that especially liked the toilet area. The water was stinky sulfur water, so not taking a shower, like you could even get into the tiny shower stall. Unhappy, we left after without spending the night and eventually got a $20 refund for missing breakfast. Chesapeake City was great place to visit.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank LOMAH

Travellers are raving about these Elkton hotels

Waynesboro, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 17 October 2011

My husband and I stayed for 2 nights to celebrate our anniversary. When we got there it was just beautiful, the grounds were lovely and Ann, the owner, was very friendly and welcoming in showing us around. The cottage was so cute from the outside, but when we went in I was a bit disappointed. First off it smelled really musty, kinda like a damp basement and smokey like someone had lit a fire and it had been full of smoke. I went out and bought a scented candle, but that only covered it a little. The place was cute, but there was no real flow to the decor kinda hodge podgey with this and that hung just here and there. None of the curtains matched and some of the curtains looked like they needed a good wash and hang out. The bed is a full size and the room was very tiny. My husband (5'10") had to duck going through the doors. The bathroom was also very tiny and it only had a small shower. I was expecting a bit more romance since it was listed in a romantic B&B site. A shower for one and a small bed doesn't shout romance or anniversary get away to me. There were quite a few cobwebs around, but the bed and sheets were clean as were the towels and wash cloths. Also the floor was vacuumed and clean, it just seemed that the little details (the windows, curtains, corners, baskets and shelves with stuff in etc) were forgotten and not cared for like other B&B's I have been to. It almost gave me a feeling of staying in someones shed that they fixed up and kept for people that dropped by and needed a place to stay. Furniture they could no longer use in their house or picked up at a yard sale etc. The breakfast was delicious and the grounds were wonderful to walk around. The owner has a beautiful cat that visited during breakfast which we ate on the front porch. I think if I was expecting something a bit more rustic I would not have been disappointed, but it just wasn't what I was expecting. We made the best of it and the place grew on us since it was so remote and we love the sounds of the birds and frogs as you sit on the porch. Ann was also very helpful in telling us of fun things to do during the day and good places to eat. Overall the weekend was great because we got to spend time together just the 2 of us, but not what we expected or really wished for an anniversary get away.

Room Tip: Not typical romantic accommodations -- Small shower, small bed.