“Wonderful weekend away”

Elk Forge B&B Inn, Retreat and Day Spa
Ranked #1 of 3 Elkton B&B and Inns
Reviewed 6 May 2013

My husband and I stayed this past weekend at Elk Forge. I had a living social certificate which is how we chose the place originally. We stayed in the Country Club suite which was perfect. It was a large 2 room suite with King bed and fireplace. Also has deck seating out front. Bring your suit and enjoy the outdoor hot tub. We were the only one using it both nights! The breakfast every morning was tasty with a nice selection from eggs to yogurt to fruit and fresh baked goods. I found the staff to be friendly and accommodating. The only downfall would be the location depending on what you plan to do on your visit. We like to explore the area and have a few drinks we also are very active. There wasn't much in the immediate area for this. Newark is definitley a college town and was packed when we tried to visit. Chesapeake City was great and a must see. As was North East. I would also recommend visiting Fair Hills NRMA, about 2 minutes up the road. It was a great area for hiking, walking and biking. We didn't find this until our last night there and want to stop back again with our bikes to explore this more.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 25 March 2013

The room was wonderful, the breakfast was very good, the hosts were delightful. We've been to several other B&B's and this one was quiet, nice rooms and a nice breakfast served buffet-style. It is not in the heart of the city, but that is part of the attraction.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 March 2013

First of all, if you have 15 plus rooms, maybe you should have at least that many parking spots, I paid close to 400 for a two day stay and had to park on the grass while the people who work here park right up by the entrance. The breakfast is ok, its not as fancy as they make it to be on their website. You cant bring your own liquor, but they will sell you some, where, i dont know, so be prepared for that. We came in for breakfast this morning and one of the owners didnt even look up at us when we were standing right in front of her (uh hi, are you running a business or what, learn about customer service before opening one). Be prepared to drive 30 minutes if you dont want to stare at the wall all day because there is nothing to do. Bring food before hand because there is no delivery to this area and everything closes early. All we wanted was a vacation away from the city and elk forge made it so stressful that i feel i wasted sooo much money. Its basically like this, "you pay us a ridiculous amount to stay in this falsely advertised, overpriced room, and we will make a simple task such as getting food as difficult as humanly possible. You want to eat? You can dig through a basket of menus from restaurants in freakin baltimore, good luck to ya." Honestly, this place is not worth it all, i wasted my vacation on terrible terrible TERRIBLE customer service from start to finish. I know this is one bad review in a sea of good ones, but believe me, you should go to embassy suites down the road if you plan on coming to this wasteland area at all.

• Stayed: March 2013
4  Thank michaelac229
Reviewed 12 March 2013

A couple things about this place, first when we drove up, it looked very beautiful. I can see why people would get married there. We were greeted by a young man, who checked us in and gave us some information. We looked around the bed and breakfast, it was a beautiful building, looked more like colonial period time and kinda fancy. As beautiful as it was, it felt kind of cold, not meaning temperature, but no really warm greetings and plus we didn't get to meet the owners. I guess we were spoiled with the last B&B we went to where we met the owners and had warm experience.

We walked up stairs and walked into our room, it was a 2 room suite, we had the Brandywine sweet. Our room was colonial theme and had a beautiful painting of George Washington, everything was clean and tidy. We had a whirlpool in our room and a fire place, it was very romantic. This B&B was out in the woods so it was pretty quiet for the most part, however on our second night there, some of the guests were pretty loud when my husband and i were trying to go to bed and then in the morning I could hear the kitchen staff preparing breakfast.

We were near Delaware and PA, so we buzzed around and did some site seeing, also we did take advantage of the natural trail they had outside at the Elk Forge. We did not go to the spa or tea room, so I can not rate that. We had breakfast each morning, the one morning it was 8-10 and the other 7-9. I wasn't really impressed with breakfast. It was ok, but there wasn't much of a selection. There was a good selection of drinks, but as far as breakfast food, they had a waffle maker, fresh fruit and different egg casseroles. It was a breakfast buffet, so it was service yourself which I kind of liked. The coffee was pretty good too. We set in a dinning room area, individual tables, a fire place going and birds were there, but beautiful birds and not loud, more of a cooing noise.

Overall we were happy with our experience, but I will probably not go again for the fact I like the homier B&Bs and I didn't get that impression from them. And as I said their breakfast wasn't that great. It was of course a nice getaway and relaxing, so it was nothing again the place itself, just a couple things that I wanted to point out.

Oh and last thing I wanted to point out, they do no allow outside alcoholic beverages unless you buy it from them, wasn't really happy about that, since we spent the money to get the rooms, but couldn't bring our own stuff.

Room Tip: Go for a suite if you can spend the money, it's nice to have 2 rooms.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank apierce88
Reviewed 9 March 2013

We had a great time at elk forge. Lots to do and I had a great massage from Noor. Service was great, we had a great time taking short trips to penn and de. Make sure u go to valu liguiors for the discount wine bin.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 February 2013

We recently had a weekend stay at Elk Forge. We enjoyed our time there. We would not hesitate to return or to recommend the facility to anyone. Although some things in other reviews are correct (roadway, quarry etc.) This was only our second time at a B&B, and it is a different experience than just a hotel room. We traveled the area and spent time in Havre de Grace which is about 40 minutes away. When we return I think we will try to set up some spa time which we did not do this time around.

Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 February 2013

My husband and I had a wonderful time on our weekend getaway at Elk Forge! It was our first bed & breakfast experience and it exceeded our expectations! We loved the atmosphere, very welcoming and warm yet we were given our own space. My husband said, "It was like staying at a relatives house, without the relatives!" Ha! The fancy food was a treat (especially eating with silver utensils and china), the service was awesome...a 'jack of all trades' kinda family, our room was clean and the maids were very discrete and efficient! We loved all of the character inside the Inn and out on the landscape, bet it's beautiful in the Spring! For us one of the best parts was the fact that in this 'family business' the family was still there; serving and smiling! It was a pleasure being able to stay at such a hidden gem! We have recommended it to all our friends and family! We will be back, but for now I have my Elk Forge mug to sip hot tea from!

• Stayed: January 2013