“nice, warm, fine”

Ranked #1 of 3 Elkton B&B and Inns
schwyz
“nice, warm, fine”
Reviewed 4 September 2009

our visit at elk forg b&b was quite fine. the best was the recommandation for fine dining. I never ate so good in the us.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Odenton, Maryland
Reviewed 8 February 2009

After a day of sightseeing in Kennett Square, PA, we spent the night at the Elk Forge Bed and Breakfast. I searched in line for local accommodations. This Inn was offering a special weekend rate that was too hard to resist -- a 50%-off 2-day special. This place has a good location to offer the traveler an alternative to accommodations in downtown Philadelphia.

The inn has reasonably provisioned rooms with rustic furniture. Our room was clean, quiet and cozy and came with a small private bath. There was a small whirlpool tub in the room, but I didn't see the value of the private tub in such as small space.

The building is well lit by natural light. Most of the spaces have hand-painted murals and the common areas have a Victorian ambience. The Inn offers spa services, but I don’t know if the spa has standard operating hours. It seemed as if it opened only on request by a guest.

My expectation for a B&B stay is an offering of a prepared breakfast. This Inn offers a modest continental breakfast. However, the coffee that they serve is excellent.

The best part of our trip was meeting the Innkeeper, Seth. When I called to make reservations, I spoke to this easygoing young man who was happy to book a room for us. Opon our arrival, Seth was hard at work mopping floors and making preparations for the week. He was not too busy to take time to get us an extra blanket for our bed and to adjust the thermostat for our unit. It is very apparent that Seth takes a great deal of pride in his family’s business and wants to see it suceed.

We probably won’t have an occasion to come back, but I hope that Seth is able to grow his business. This place has most of what it needs to be a faboulous place that I would want to come back to again and again. I would recommend this place for anyone who wants a quiet night’s sleep in the country.

• Liked — Friendly owner
  • Stayed February 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank MariMckenna
Elkton, Maryland
Reviewed 27 July 2008

This place is marvelous... we loved our room and had fun strolling the nature trails and putting on the green. The owners were especially friendly yet did not hover like some B&B owners do! We loved our breakfast in the conservatory.. we will be back!

• Liked — The facilities and staff
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank hlender
Allentown,PA
Reviewed 16 February 2008

Upon arrival there is no one to greet you. They call this self check in, but I call it cutting cornors. Part of the experience of staying at a bed and breakfast is interacting with the inn keeper. No one was anywhere in sight! We had made dinner reservations ahead of time so we didn't need advice on a nice place to go, and we were only staying for one night. But, if I had been staying longer I would have wanted to speak to the inn keeper about dining and touring suggestions.
They advertise fireplaces in every room. They are are a poor excuse for a fireplace. I believe that when you turned it on you were only seeing a picture of flames. The room was fine, but small. The bathroom was extremly small. You could see that it had been added oto the cornor of the room.
The breakfast offerings were quite sad. Yogurt, cereal and toast. You could also make your own waffel, but the tray of offered toppings was far from appealing.
At breakfast we did finally see the inn keeper. Nice enough man, but thinks he's funny, sad to say he's not.
Had a very cold experience from this inn. Wouldn't return.

Stayed December 2007
2 Thank intothewoods
Tucson, AZ
Reviewed 27 January 2008

I stayed at the Elk Forge B&B while on a business trip this past summer, and I must say, I was impressed. I prefer to stay at B&B's rather than hotels due to there more personal and unique nature, and, since my wife was able to come with me on this trip, I was especially looking forward to a unique experience. We were not disappointed. The house and grounds were incredible--it was like stepping back into Victorian times--and we both found the staff friendly and knowledgeable of the rich history of the property and surrounding area. While we were disappointed to find that there was no restaurant on site, it turned out for the better, because we were able to drive through the lovely countryside while finding equally unique dining experiences at some of the quaint local restaurants--just ask the staff and they'll recommend some great places to eat and visit. I'm just glad that it looks like business may take me this way a few more times in the coming years--I already have my next trip booked--
although my wife is jealous that she can't make it this next time around!

• Liked — The house and grounds
  • Disliked — Loved everything!
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled on business
2 Thank dw013
Lenoir, NC
Reviewed 23 January 2008

I love the Elk Forge Inn. It is my favorite B & B! The staff is superb, I loved the casual breakfast. The library had all my favorite books. I LOVED my room. It was so relaxing, and peaceful. My room was impeccable. Harry and LeeAnn went out of their way to be accomodating and welcoming. I would definitely stay there again.

• Liked — Comfortable surrounding, friendly staff
  • Disliked — Loved everything
  • Stayed September 2005, travelled on business
3 Thank Celeste1966
Rhode Island
Reviewed 8 November 2007

My husband and I love that place so much that we keep going back everytime we can.
We had our wedding reception there, almost 3 years ago, the suite where we stayed that night was just beautiful.
We also love the location, the Inn is surrounded by nature tracks; perfect if you want to have a relaxing or romantic vacation.
The staff is very friendly, the facility clean and well decorated.
Most of the rooms we have seen have a whirpool, wich is a plus.
The spa's massage therapist has "angel hands" ,she worked wonders taking away my husband's back ache.
Breakfast is good, great variety of cold drinks,bread, fresh fruit, yogurt, cereal and cheese, as well as some warm options like waffles, toasts and hot drinks.
We do recomend this B&B to everyone who may have the oportunity to visit.
Enjoy.

• Liked — Rooms, the whole facility is lovely
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Ralill
Also consider these accommodations in or near Elkton
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Elkton - Newark S. - UD Area
La Quinta Inn & Suites Newark - Elkton
Embassy Suites Newark - Wilmington/South
Hilton Wilmington / Christiana
Courtyard Newark-University of Delaware
Hampton Inn Elkton
Hampton Inn Elkton
#2 of 8 in Elkton

Been to Elk Forge B&B Inn, Retreat and Day Spa? Share your experiences!