“A New Low: Lacking in Several Key Elements of Hospitality” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Elk Forge B&B Inn, Retreat and Day Spa

Elk Forge B&B Inn, Retreat and Day Spa
Ranked #1 of 3 Elkton B&B and Inns
Yardley, Pennsylvania
“A New Low: Lacking in Several Key Elements of Hospitality”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2010

A new low..........Room was not ready on time for check-in. Seemed like proprietor was disorganized. Hot tub in room was inoperable according to host. In-room refrigerator was unplugged. No BYOB, since they have liquor license, which is, typically, a nice aspect of most B&B (according to posted notice, fine of $1,000.00 if violated). "Do not disturb" sign was packaged with a bottle of "Astro- Glide" lubricant. Now I'm in the mood!

Sleep was disrupted by skylight over bed, which woke me too soon and left me wanting a nap.

No "breakfast" in the true sense of B&B-----make your own waffles? Host could not figure out how to cut pineapple after several tries so guests take at fruit spread.

The Host would do well to visit some B&B's that are highly rated on this site to see how folks with a passion for hospitality can shine and develop repeat guests...

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends
      Sleep Quality
4 Thank Deltmouse

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2010

My husband and I celebrated our 10th wedding anniversary at the Elk Forge Bed and Breakfast in Elkton Maryland. We stayed for a long weekend and had a relaxing and memorable time. The staff was really attentive, kind and always asked if we needed anything! The fall leaves added to the beautiful scenery and quiet country side. The grounds were beautiful and I hope to visit again in the summer to see all the flowers! We had a relaxing whirlpool tub in our room and spa robes. I had a massage from "Dea" and it was just great! She brought the massage table to my room and did a fantastic job! I would recommend this bed and breakfast to my family and friends! Beautiful and relaxing!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
3 Thank jillycMaryland
Philadelphia, PA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2010

I stayed here because I had a business meeting in nearby Newark DE, was tired of the chain hotels where I usually stay and was looking for something different. It's a little off the beaten path for Newark, but not much (5 mins) and if you are looking for a country setting it's perfect. The service was personal and friendly (appears to be a family operation) and my room, in the main house, was a large, nteresting Victorian style bedroom. So it was a pleasant break from the chains and I will go back.

Did not stay for the breakfast so I can't comment on the food.

I did decide to treat myself to the massage service the Inn offered and was very pleasantly surprised. The therapist was excellent, probably the best I've ever had a session with. So if you do go and you have the time, she is recommended highly.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank SunnyinPHL
DC
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2009

Welcome to bizarro world of B&B's. Maybe this is the best you can get within 10 miles of I-95 - maybe that was our problem to begin with. The inn is on a semi-heavily trafficked road (if you go to the hot tub, you'll be able to see/hear the cars driving by) and the grounds aren't that well-groomed. We had to move the dead leaves off the hammock and the putting greens (looked like they had been there for at least a week - mind you - the leaves were still on the trees).

The decor is chatchkee heaven. If that's what you're into - you'll LOVE it. I, unfortunately, did not. The room (Wilmington) was cute - so we didn't really leave it all that much. Oh - and we killed a bug that was in the room - probably a spider?

I had a massage - and the spa room wasn't where it was depicted on the website. It was a large room (the conference room?) with wall dividers separating the massage table. They told me they were in the process of moving the spa. The 80 minute massage was only 65 minutes of hands on massage, but the massage itself was fine. It wasn't a spa experience, but I needed some relaxing time - so I went with it.

The breakfast was what you'd find at a Holiday INN or HOJO. Make-it-yourself waffles with fake maple syrup, fruit, yogurt, bagels/bread. This was the hugest disappointment of the trip. I guess I'll no longer assume that B&B means a cooked breakfast.

Anyway - it was an experience, and it's a story. But I'll never go back.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank love2travel015
schwyz
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2009

our visit at elk forg b&b was quite fine. the best was the recommandation for fine dining. I never ate so good in the us.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
Odenton, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2009

After a day of sightseeing in Kennett Square, PA, we spent the night at the Elk Forge Bed and Breakfast. I searched in line for local accommodations. This Inn was offering a special weekend rate that was too hard to resist -- a 50%-off 2-day special. This place has a good location to offer the traveler an alternative to accommodations in downtown Philadelphia.

The inn has reasonably provisioned rooms with rustic furniture. Our room was clean, quiet and cozy and came with a small private bath. There was a small whirlpool tub in the room, but I didn't see the value of the private tub in such as small space.

The building is well lit by natural light. Most of the spaces have hand-painted murals and the common areas have a Victorian ambience. The Inn offers spa services, but I don’t know if the spa has standard operating hours. It seemed as if it opened only on request by a guest.

My expectation for a B&B stay is an offering of a prepared breakfast. This Inn offers a modest continental breakfast. However, the coffee that they serve is excellent.

The best part of our trip was meeting the Innkeeper, Seth. When I called to make reservations, I spoke to this easygoing young man who was happy to book a room for us. Opon our arrival, Seth was hard at work mopping floors and making preparations for the week. He was not too busy to take time to get us an extra blanket for our bed and to adjust the thermostat for our unit. It is very apparent that Seth takes a great deal of pride in his family’s business and wants to see it suceed.

We probably won’t have an occasion to come back, but I hope that Seth is able to grow his business. This place has most of what it needs to be a faboulous place that I would want to come back to again and again. I would recommend this place for anyone who wants a quiet night’s sleep in the country.

• Liked — Friendly owner
  • Stayed February 2009, travelled with family
      Check-in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank MariMckenna
Elkton, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2008

This place is marvelous... we loved our room and had fun strolling the nature trails and putting on the green. The owners were especially friendly yet did not hover like some B&B owners do! We loved our breakfast in the conservatory.. we will be back!

• Liked — The facilities and staff
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
      Check-in / front desk
1 Thank hlender
Also consider these accommodations in or near Elkton
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Elkton - Newark S. - UD Area
La Quinta Inn & Suites Newark - Elkton
Hilton Wilmington / Christiana
Courtyard Newark-University of Delaware
Hampton Inn Elkton
Hampton Inn Elkton
#2 of 8 in Elkton
BEST WESTERN North East Inn

Been to Elk Forge B&B Inn, Retreat and Day Spa? Share your experiences!