“Satisfactory but not stunning!”

Elk Forge B&B Inn, Retreat and Day Spa
Ranked #1 of 3 Elkton B&B and Inns
Reviewed 29 December 2010

This inn was convenient to I-95, and has a very nice view overlooking the grounds. Common rooms and bedrooms are nice, but not plush. During our one night stay, the innkeeper was decorating the parlor for Christmas, so it was inaccessible to us both the afternoon and evening we arrived as well as the next morning.
The room we had bargained for over the Internet, a king bed with whirlpool, was not ready upon our arrival. We were offered a smaller, less expensive room as a replacement. However, after voicing our disappointment, the innkeeper (after some hesitation) made up the original room for us.
Breakfast was plentiful, although nothing you wouldn't find at an upscale motel for breakfast- yogurt cups, hard boiled eggs, a waffle iron and batter, fruit, bagels, etc.
On the morning we left, as we were showering and packing, we found 4 non-descript , but similar, bugs in our bedroom. After that, we made a hasty exit.
My husband and I have been to countless B&B's over the years. This one was not special. On a scale of 1-10, we'd rate it a 5.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 22 December 2010

Not the easiest to find, but well worthwhile. 6 miles west of Newark, DE, on a very quiet country road - but also near a freight railroad. Rooms are large, bizarre, well-furnished, very comfortable. Copious - if typically American - breakfast.
An experience worth going for.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank spanner48
Reviewed 5 November 2010

After mentioning to my husband that I wanted to take a short getaway, he did some research and booked a night at the Elk Forge Inn. We had never stayed at a B&B before, but after our wonderful experience we decided to look for B&B's before hotel stays in the future.

The inn is impressive from the outside and just as beautiful inside. Harry, the innkeeper, was extremely pleasant and made us feel comfortable the second we walked in the door. The inn is well lit by natural light and very roomy. We arrived on a very rainy day, which delayed our outdoor plans, but we had an especially nice afternoon sitting in the conservatory (which overlooked the grounds) sipping wine provided by the inn which has a liquor license. They keep light music playing in the conservatory and have a pair of doves as the inn pet.

When we inquired about a recommendation for dinner, the innkeeper brought us a basket full of menu's and was happy to make his recommendation and tell us a bit about the local restaurants.

We stayed in the Chesapeake room, which was very cozy. It was clean, warm, and comfortable. I tend to fall asleep early, so my husband picked a movie from the inn's collection to watch in our room late night.

The breakfast spread was beautiful as they offered everything we could have wanted. There was cereal, yogurt, fruit, bagels, muffins, cookies, juices, coffee/tea and a waffle maker.

Overall, we had a very nice getaway and really enjoyed our first B&B experience.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Hayley724
Reviewed 23 May 2010

A new low..........Room was not ready on time for check-in. Seemed like proprietor was disorganized. Hot tub in room was inoperable according to host. In-room refrigerator was unplugged. No BYOB, since they have liquor license, which is, typically, a nice aspect of most B&B (according to posted notice, fine of $1,000.00 if violated). "Do not disturb" sign was packaged with a bottle of "Astro- Glide" lubricant. Now I'm in the mood!

Sleep was disrupted by skylight over bed, which woke me too soon and left me wanting a nap.

No "breakfast" in the true sense of B&B-----make your own waffles? Host could not figure out how to cut pineapple after several tries so guests take at fruit spread.

The Host would do well to visit some B&B's that are highly rated on this site to see how folks with a passion for hospitality can shine and develop repeat guests...

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with friends
4  Thank Deltmouse
Reviewed 2 February 2010

My husband and I celebrated our 10th wedding anniversary at the Elk Forge Bed and Breakfast in Elkton Maryland. We stayed for a long weekend and had a relaxing and memorable time. The staff was really attentive, kind and always asked if we needed anything! The fall leaves added to the beautiful scenery and quiet country side. The grounds were beautiful and I hope to visit again in the summer to see all the flowers! We had a relaxing whirlpool tub in our room and spa robes. I had a massage from "Dea" and it was just great! She brought the massage table to my room and did a fantastic job! I would recommend this bed and breakfast to my family and friends! Beautiful and relaxing!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank jillycMaryland
Reviewed 20 January 2010

I stayed here because I had a business meeting in nearby Newark DE, was tired of the chain hotels where I usually stay and was looking for something different. It's a little off the beaten path for Newark, but not much (5 mins) and if you are looking for a country setting it's perfect. The service was personal and friendly (appears to be a family operation) and my room, in the main house, was a large, nteresting Victorian style bedroom. So it was a pleasant break from the chains and I will go back.

Did not stay for the breakfast so I can't comment on the food.

I did decide to treat myself to the massage service the Inn offered and was very pleasantly surprised. The therapist was excellent, probably the best I've ever had a session with. So if you do go and you have the time, she is recommended highly.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank SunnyinPHL
Reviewed 4 September 2009

Welcome to bizarro world of B&B's. Maybe this is the best you can get within 10 miles of I-95 - maybe that was our problem to begin with. The inn is on a semi-heavily trafficked road (if you go to the hot tub, you'll be able to see/hear the cars driving by) and the grounds aren't that well-groomed. We had to move the dead leaves off the hammock and the putting greens (looked like they had been there for at least a week - mind you - the leaves were still on the trees).

The decor is chatchkee heaven. If that's what you're into - you'll LOVE it. I, unfortunately, did not. The room (Wilmington) was cute - so we didn't really leave it all that much. Oh - and we killed a bug that was in the room - probably a spider?

I had a massage - and the spa room wasn't where it was depicted on the website. It was a large room (the conference room?) with wall dividers separating the massage table. They told me they were in the process of moving the spa. The 80 minute massage was only 65 minutes of hands on massage, but the massage itself was fine. It wasn't a spa experience, but I needed some relaxing time - so I went with it.

The breakfast was what you'd find at a Holiday INN or HOJO. Make-it-yourself waffles with fake maple syrup, fruit, yogurt, bagels/bread. This was the hugest disappointment of the trip. I guess I'll no longer assume that B&B means a cooked breakfast.

Anyway - it was an experience, and it's a story. But I'll never go back.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank love2travel015
Also consider these accommodations in or near Elkton
Hampton Inn Elkton
#3 of 24 in Newark
Comfort Inn & Suites
Comfort Inn & Suites
#2 of 4 in North East

Been to Elk Forge B&B Inn, Retreat and Day Spa? Share your experiences!