“Nice place and good service....”

Hurricane Grill & Wings
Ranked #26 of 90 Restaurants in Elkton
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 8 April 2013

I stopped-in Hurricane Grill & Wings for the first time (5pm on a Saturday) and report a good experience. I sat at the bar and had a cold draft (many to choose from!) within a minute. I ordered some chicken wings and had them in front of me within 10 minutes.....cooked the way that I requested. The bar tender(s) checked in on me several times even thought he place was busy. Seems to be a nice / clean / roomy establishment with long Happy Hour every day!

Reviewed 18 March 2013

My husband and I had lunch here on a Saturday. The restaurant was busy but the waitress was very attentive and the wait for our food was not long. My husband had the honey pecan chicken salad which was good. I opted for the shrimp blt quesadillas. It sounded like an odd combination but they are really, really good! The regular French fries are also very good. (We didn't try the garlic fries.) We definitely will be returning to this restaurant.

2  Thank Marilyn777_12
Reviewed 9 March 2013

We always enjoy meeting the managers, and especially the owners of new start-ups. Hotels, restaurants, new businesses. We always listen intently when they tell of their start up, their hopes and dreams and aspirations. They typically have their heart and soul into it, up to their necks. You usually have to search far and wide to find such enthusiasm.

On the flip side, we don't like the need to talk to a manager, or owner, after receiving less than adequate service when dining at a new, start up restaurant. Today, we got to talk to a manager, the co-owners, and even a corporate representative.

Our complaint was pretty weighty, but not weighty enough to require that amount of response from the management. Their responses were because they indeed, have their heart and souls in it. Up to their necks, and then some.

We went on a Saturday afternoon, after a workout at the gym with friends. They had been twice before, and highly recommended the joint. It looks very, very appealing from the outside, and we confessed we had been dying to try the place.

We were seated over by the back doors, and the bathrooms. It's ok, and with a crowd in the restaurant probably looks like one of the best seats in the house. But there we sat, unnoticed. And sat, and sat. I actually was able to go to the bathroom, and come back, and our waitress still had not arrived.

When our beer arrived, they had been sitting on the service area for so long the head was gone. The volume left looked like we had been short-poured. The waitress brought our food out, and was unable to show us the difference in the wings we ordered.

To her defense, there really is no flag system, or indicators to identify what is what. And when you're sharing the wings with your sweetie, it's a lot more fun if you can know what you're sharing.

Very quickly we noticed that one section of five wings had not been seasoned, at all. We brought that to the waitresses' attention, and she immediately said she would get us new wings. Great response. She left, then returned and asked if we just wanted the new sauce, or if we wanted them coated. We said we wanted them coated.

She stumbled for a minute, then made the fatal mistake of taking away our wings, not properly prepared, and brought us back the left overs. You never take trash away from the table, and bring it back. If something is not right, you remove it, and bring out the right item. Restaurant 101.

My empty glass was immediately in front of her during all this, and she never asked if I wanted another drink. She was clearly overwhelmed.

We finished our meals, left no tip, and was just about ready to leave. We mentioned that I would write a review of the place, and that we would take the survey. Then my wife prompted, "But if we don't say something, the management won't know there's a problem for the rest of the day." We all agreed.

And so, we had a very pleasant chat with the manager, the owners, and the corp representative. We were assured the poor service we had received was out of the norm. They have only been open 4 weeks, and although there has been a few glitches, they address each one immediately.

I will quote there philosophy: "Our guests come in as strangers, leave as friends, and come back as family." I believe it. We believe it.

There was no corporate speak, cover-our-butts answers when they dealt with the problem. There was genuine concern, answers to our problems, and a sincere promise to make every visit the best experience we could hope for.

We are indeed looking forward to our next visit. And (here's something I have never said before), I hope we are able to have the same waitress. Because I can truthfully say that she was very probably just having a bad day, or shift, or week, or whatever!

But, with management in place that cares so much about the customer, and their restaurant, the entire place can only get better. I think we'll help them grow. We're looking forward to it.

Because after all, they have their heart and souls in it. Up to their ears.

Been to Hurricane Grill & Wings? Share your experiences!