“Good pizza, rude and inattentive service”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Coal Fire Pizza

Coal Fire Pizza
Ranked #27 of 168 Restaurants in Ellicott City
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Kids, Child-friendly, Cheap Eats
Ellicott City, Maryland
“Good pizza, rude and inattentive service”
Reviewed 21 June 2014

We went here a few years ago and we forgot why we hadn't returned as we know many people love it. Well, within 5 minutes we knew why. When we walked in, a woman picking up her pizza was asking, "Is this pizza too burnt? I know it's supposed to have some char, but this looks burnt." The carryout female just shrugged and kept looking at the pizza, then turned to a coworker and asked, "Do you think this is too much char?" Hellllloooo...if the CUSTOMER thinks it is, then THAT is what you use as a gauge. I internally cringed as it started to come back to me, but I thought, "Maybe there's hope."

Nope. None. When we were ready to order, I asked what ingredient was in their spicy pizza sauce (there are three kinds). The waitress gave me a nice, tight smile with a pleasant voice and said, "Many." I thought maybe she was joking, but realized she wasn't. I said, "Could you get more specific?" She said, "Well, I don't know, I'll have to ask the kitchen." OK... This is NOT an unusual request. And frankly, any server SHOULD know what is in the three different sauces in order to differentiate between them for the customers! She came back with that same tight smile, "The kitchen doesn't know. The chef makes the sauce and he doesn't share the recipe." I said, "We have allergies, so we're a little concerned." She said, "What are you allergic to?" And after we shared she told us not to worry about it. HUH? (sigh) How we debated about leaving right then...

The food came and we didn't see her until we were almost done with the pizza. I had an empty drink glass from the time the pizza came and it was never offered to refill it. It is not a big restaurant at all. We then remembered that they are mostly a carry out place who don't like people to stay. They serve no coffee or desserts. She came by at the end without asking if we wanted anything else. She set the bill down and I asked about dessert. "We don't have it" and walked away.

RUDE RUDE RUDE.

My only suggestion is to get carry out.

• Visited June 2014
2 Thank Becky K

Washington, District of Columbia, United States
“Great classic pizza, the rest, not so much”
Reviewed 20 June 2014 via mobile

The Classic was a hit in my family! Kids and adults loved it. Just the right amount of burnnnn and the cheese seems very Milkie. Like a good thick quality with lots of flavor and not like oil. We had salads and spaghetti with meatballs that seemed to be flavorless. I added black pepper and Parmesan cheese to flavor it up a bit. I'd go for the pizza. Yummy.

Ellicott City, Maryland
“the best pizza”
Reviewed 22 April 2014 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

I am a regular here.
The pizza is the best I have had in this area.
The wings made in the pizza oven are unbelievable.
The entire staff is friendly, and efficient

Visited April 2014
Overland Park, Kansas
“Cozy little bar area”
Reviewed 5 April 2014

I didn't know what to expect when I found this restaurant nearby my hotel, but enjoyed it. The food I got was average, but the wine and bar scene was great.

Pros
As I mentioned above, the Chianti (I didn't get the name....) was very good, and the young lady bartending was very nice. There were several people seated at the bar and were all talking to each other; very refreshing in a day where most people have their nose in their phone all the time... The salad that came with my pasta was simple, but fresh.

Cons
I got the white clam pasta (angle hair) and it was average and I probably wouldn't order it again.

Overall
I wish I had ordered a small pizza. Every other patron ordered pizza, so clearly that is the emphasis here. For a Wednesday, the small bar was hopping; perhaps because of the good service by the bartender. I'll be back.

• Visited April 2014
Birmingham, Alabama
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great pizza. Great atmosphere.”
Reviewed 8 March 2014

Food was delicious and service was good. This appears to be a popular neighborhood pizza place. Plenty of seating inside but also great patio seating if the weather allows.

Visited February 2014