“It's now the shanty grill”
Review of Crab Shanty Restaurant - CLOSED

Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 24 May 2013

They changed the name ..changed the menu... even tried ( without success) to change the decor but its still the same bland overpriced and un appealing restaurant. Same menu for lunch and dinner.... Who wants to pay $27 for a lunch entree? Maybe in the big city but not many in Ellicott City.

The didn't think the service could be any worst than it was at the Crab Shanty but the Shanty Grill found a way to somehow make it worst. On a recent Tuesday with most of the lunch tables empty we wired 10 minutes to take a drink order ( four waters and a coke ). Another 10 minutes for the drinks to be served, another 10 minutes to take our order And 30 minutes for the food to be prepared ( 3 salads and 2 sandwiches ). An hour after walking in the door we were finally served our food.

And the worst part.... They don't even have crab soup on the menu.. Are you kidding me?

1  Thank GV27OCMD

Reviewed 17 May 2013

First, I just would like to say I am not an overly picky person. I am not a snob. I appreciate restaurants that care about the food they send out of their kitchens, whether it is a “greasy spoon” or a five star establishment. However, the Shanty Grill is not one of them.
The very first time I went to the Shanty Grill it was an awful experience. The menu is ambitious, pretentious and overpriced. The food was not cooked well. The waitress was more interested in flirting with the “suits” at the table next to us. I vowed never to go there again. Unfortunately, due to our club’s business, I have had to go there a few more times for dinner. The service improved, but the food is still abysmal. It is either overcooked, undercooked or just plain cold. Every time we have been there half our party receives their food and the other half waits at least 15 minutes to receive what they ordered. Tonight, I opted for a sandwich as I thought that would be safe. Hardly any meat, over cooked onion straws and too much cheddar cheese. The home made potato chips were chewy because they were under cooked. The cole slaw tasted “old”. Also, there are no real choices for your entrée sides. You are stuck with the “chef’s choice”. Tonight it was sweet potatoes. From what I could see, it was pureed sweet potatoes. It looked like it had the consistency of baby food and it did not look attractive on the plate. I have had enough, they will never see me in their restaurant anymore and if you are smart, you will not waste your time and money there either.

1  Thank PSkryjaWest
Reviewed 13 April 2013

My husband and I ate there tonight by chance. We were looking for something new. We were kept waiting 20 mins before our waiter knew we there, our seats was by their server station. We should have left! The service was poor. The food was so so. And he didn't even ask if we wanted desert. Never going there again.

1  Thank lgillw54
Reviewed 9 April 2013

The Crab Shanty is now called the Shanty Grill. They've changed the menu with less seafood and more average fare. The food's average. They have a couple of really good things. My favorite is the cedar plank salmon. They no longer have what use to be the best thing on the menu - Shanty Shrimp. They have very good crab cakes, but no longer have cream of crab soup.

1  Thank Cyndi253
Reviewed 10 March 2013

My brother in law loved the sushi and I loved the PW mussels. Sea food was good and reasonably priced