“It's like nobody cares who works there” 2 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: American, Seafood, Barbecue
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Baltimore, Maryland
“It's like nobody cares who works there”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2013

The food was pricey for the items served. Went in on a Wednesday night and waited and waited and waited at our table in the bar just for a server to come over to us. The whole meal was like that. Eventually got up to find a manager to get refills and some butter for my crab that I ordered since the waiter was AGAIN nowhere to be found. You can only blame the server for so much, it is still management's responsibility to see that the person is overwhelmed or just providing bad service and to take action. Also, my boyfriend swore that the manager addressed me as "babe" lol. Should have just eaten at the Canopy down the street and called it a night. Was in there for over two hours on a Wednesday night for two apps, a sandwich and a crab..ridiculous.

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Kris M

Salem, Virginia
“Better than reviews would have you believe!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2013 via mobile

Had dinner tonight as a local suggested it. I read the reviews before going and was expecting a bad experience but I was pleasantly surprised. Calamari was excellent. Waterman's Bowl was loaded with good seafood. Very good chopped salad and excellent blue cheese dressing. Server was excellent. Prices were reasonable. Much better than the reviews.

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank George S
Ocean City, Maryland
“It's now the shanty grill”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2013

They changed the name ..changed the menu... even tried ( without success) to change the decor but its still the same bland overpriced and un appealing restaurant. Same menu for lunch and dinner.... Who wants to pay $27 for a lunch entree? Maybe in the big city but not many in Ellicott City.

The didn't think the service could be any worst than it was at the Crab Shanty but the Shanty Grill found a way to somehow make it worst. On a recent Tuesday with most of the lunch tables empty we wired 10 minutes to take a drink order ( four waters and a coke ). Another 10 minutes for the drinks to be served, another 10 minutes to take our order And 30 minutes for the food to be prepared ( 3 salads and 2 sandwiches ). An hour after walking in the door we were finally served our food.

And the worst part.... They don't even have crab soup on the menu.. Are you kidding me?

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank GV27OCMD
Baltimore, Maryland
“Should Find a Chef Who Cares”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2013

First, I just would like to say I am not an overly picky person. I am not a snob. I appreciate restaurants that care about the food they send out of their kitchens, whether it is a “greasy spoon” or a five star establishment. However, the Shanty Grill is not one of them.
The very first time I went to the Shanty Grill it was an awful experience. The menu is ambitious, pretentious and overpriced. The food was not cooked well. The waitress was more interested in flirting with the “suits” at the table next to us. I vowed never to go there again. Unfortunately, due to our club’s business, I have had to go there a few more times for dinner. The service improved, but the food is still abysmal. It is either overcooked, undercooked or just plain cold. Every time we have been there half our party receives their food and the other half waits at least 15 minutes to receive what they ordered. Tonight, I opted for a sandwich as I thought that would be safe. Hardly any meat, over cooked onion straws and too much cheddar cheese. The home made potato chips were chewy because they were under cooked. The cole slaw tasted “old”. Also, there are no real choices for your entrée sides. You are stuck with the “chef’s choice”. Tonight it was sweet potatoes. From what I could see, it was pureed sweet potatoes. It looked like it had the consistency of baby food and it did not look attractive on the plate. I have had enough, they will never see me in their restaurant anymore and if you are smart, you will not waste your time and money there either.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank PSkryjaWest
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Never going back”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2013

My husband and I ate there tonight by chance. We were looking for something new. We were kept waiting 20 mins before our waiter knew we there, our seats was by their server station. We should have left! The service was poor. The food was so so. And he didn't even ask if we wanted desert. Never going there again.

• Visited April 2013