“Was Hoping for More”

The White Oak Tavern
Ranked #15 of 170 Restaurants in Ellicott City
Cuisines: American, Bar, Brew Pub, Pub, Gastropub
Good for: Child-friendly, Bar Scene, Groups
Dining options: Drinks, Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Ellicott City, MD
“Was Hoping for More”
Reviewed 21 April 2014

We were eager to try out this new place in our area and thought the farm-to-table concept was good. However, we ended up somewhat disappointed. Most of the items on the menu had some spice/heat to them. I realize that is the trend these days, but neither my husband nor myself can stand anything very spicy. We ordered burgers to be safe, and did not really enjoy them. We found the burgers to be on the dry side, and both of us disliked the buns they used. The all green salad on the side was okay - fresh with light dressing - but didn't offer that much for the price. It was also very noisy with the TV's and the music going at the same time. We did, however, have an extremely good waiter who was both knowledgeable and attentive. I left wishing that I liked this place more.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank DiBowers

Stroud, United Kingdom
“Quiet Easter dinner, but suitably delicious”
Reviewed 21 April 2014

I went here with two friends for an Easter Sunday dinner, and was excited to try their farm to table food. I ordered the smoked beef brisket which I thought was delicious and it came with a decent chipotle sauce. The mash potato was also good and the summer vegetables they served with it were cooked nicely. The only thing that I felt let my meal down was the presentation. The brisket was just piled on top of the mash potato and vegetables, unceremoniously. My friends had a burger and the steak, both of which they enjoyed. The steak in particular was cooked perfectly and the entire serving of meat was tender (and cooked medium). Perhaps my favourite of all was the 'Winter Mule' cocktail that I ordered - I'm a huge fan of mule cocktails anyway but this one was a particularly fine balance of winter warmer spices with vodka and rum. I'd go back for that alone.

• Visited April 2014
Maryland
“Farm to Table Delicious”
Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

The food is a little pricey but I don't mind paying more sense all the food comes from local farmers. Plus the food was delicious. It was well prepared and well presented. The menu is simple with a nice variety of elegant choices. The burger with fresh cut fries was above average; I highly recommend it (cooked medium). The atmosphere is very pleasant; they did a great job remodeling the place. Additionally, we had great service; which made our visit even better. There is a large beer selection on tap that makes for a good happy hour. There is plenty of parking sense they are located in a shopping center.

Columbia, Maryland
“Nice upgrade, very noisy”
Reviewed 14 April 2014

This is a nice upgrade from the previous establishment. Good selection of draught beers, a little pricey. Food is good, but tries a little too hard to be "exotic," sometimes simple and basic is better especially if using quality local ingredients. We went on Friday night, it was very loud. Did not have to wait long, service was good.

• Visited March 2014
Maryland
“Great combination- local drafts & locally sourced dining”
Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

Dined on a Friday evening with friends. Over 30 beers on tap for the beer lovers in the group. Inventive take on traditional bar dining plus nice range of small plates and entrees to satisfy foodies. Loved the Kobe burger. & the cheese selection from Firefly Farms.

Visited April 2014