“okay” 3 of 5 bubbles

Xitomate
Ranked #49 of 165 Restaurants in Ellicott City
Cuisines: Mexican, Southwestern
Good for: Bar Scene, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff
Emirate of Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
“okay”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

went for lunch. Started with cerviche which was okay, small portion low on flavor high on heat. Tacos were good. Over all best part was the bar, mixed drinks were very good with a nice selection of tequila and margaritas.

Baltimore, Maryland
“Priorities: Customer vs Mobile phones”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

Food wasn't too bad but the customer service is in need of attention (as other reviews have pointed out).
First visit on Saturday, by myself at the bar, and not many other patrons in the place.
Bartender, cute, but not knowledgeable about beers on tap. A waiter nearby was able to provide an answer.
Fresh made guacamole was a nice surprise. It makes a HUGE difference. But again on customer service, someone who ordered take out requested a small take out portion of guacamole and she was told "No, sorry". I felt guilty as I had a huge bowl which is their regular portion I suppose. I almost offered her some of mine.
Had fish tacos which were okay, not bad, just okay. Personally, I still think the best fish tacos I've ever had were fried. Grilled is healthier, but taste overrules. And both times I had fried fish tacos, the difference was the slaw because that's where the flavor lies.
Around this time, the ?shift manager and the evening staff arrived and instead of approximately 5 or 6 wait/bar staff and manager noticing my empty glass on the bar, the focus was on the managers new mobile phone, what everyone did last night, what clothes someone purchased the day before, where can several wait staff decide where to plug in their mobile phone and charge during their shift, etc., and THEN, "Oh, would you like another drink?"
(I get it, I'm from one or two generations before the majority of the staff here, but people, wake up, you are at work and the cell phone can wait.)
"No, I prefer to sit here and listen to yadda, yadda, yadda, and be ignored, and while you're at it, change the channel on the television that I'm watching without a single inquiry"
Finally, with no food, a second empty glass, a verbal confirmation that I don't want anything else,...despite credit card in hand, ...ten minutes before getting the check, because you know, setting up the bar for the evening shift is a priority.
There are about four other restaurants less than 1 minute walking distance which I'll try first before I come back.

• Visited July 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Maryland
“Delicious!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

Like Alfredo, I'm shocked by the other reviews. My husband & I have been here twice & love the food. Wish they canned the salsa so we could take some home!

1st visit: I had Arrachera-something. Skirt steak was the main ingredient. Absolutely phenomenally delicious. So tender & tasty. Hubby had steak tacos. Meat was different (which I think is *good*, I don't like ordering something different & just having the same flavors presented in a different way) but he liked it so much he definitely wanted to go again. (Think: stereotypical Scandanavian - everything's "fine". If he proclaims he wants to go back, IT'S REALLY GOOD.)

2nd visit last night: I had another Arrachera dish, hoping it was the same I ordered the 1st time (that's how delicious it was). It wasn't the same (almost twice as much food) but the skirt steak WAS the same - tender, tasty, best part of the meal). Hubby had pork tacos. Said they were as good as the steak tacos. We also had a chicken flauta appetizer - very good! The accompanying sauce was sweet if you taste it by itself but WITH the flauta it was great - not too sweet and an amazing flavor combo for someone who usually likes plain, good & simple. Will definitely order that again. Salsa seemed a little different, less tangy but still good.

ONLY COMPLAINT - - WILL NOT STOP US FROM GOING BACK - - we went early yesterday. Only 1 other indoor table had customers. Yet we were sat at a table for 2 right next to the hostess stand. The only thing between us & ALL the employees (6-10 at any given time) who were standing there socializing was a 4' divider. Not interested in seeing the tops of the staffs' heads all night. They're young... once the manager catches it, it probably will stop.

WILL STILL GO BACK but ask for another table next time. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. Wish I could remember our waiter's name. He was great - JUST the right amount of coming back to the table. The service was the quickest we've had in a few years! (Then again, we almost had our own personal chef since there was only 1 other table having dinner - the rest were outside w/appetizers & drinks.)

Ellicott City, Maryland
“Best Mexican restaurant in Ellicott City”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014

I am shocked about some of these reviews about the service for Xitomate. My wife, son and I have now been going for 6 months (opened not long before that) and every single time, the service, food and atmosphere has been extraordinary!

We have become regulars at this point precisely because the food and service have been outstanding. We've hard dinner or lunch there maybe a dozen times now. The shrimp and chorizo tacos are simply amazing, the guacamole is served fresh and done right in front of you. Honestly I could go on and on.

We love Mexican food and we have tried them all in the area but all three of us agree that this one is the best.

The Tequileria bar is also awesome and their different assortment is impressive. Good drinks at good price. Sunday brunch is delicious and you can add (we have not) bottomless Mimosas or Bloody Mary's.

Truly a great place, I can only think the reviews of bad service, may have been a new waiter or a truly busy night because time and time again everything has been great for us!

Ellicott City, Maryland, United States
“Embarrassing!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

Took my family and parents to this place believing it would be good, because of it's nice interior, what a mistake!! The service was horrible, no cared about our table we received no chips n salsa, my wife's food did not come out, the waitress recommended a spicy dish, and she never came back to refill our drinks. We asked to speak to the manager but the only she could do was say sorry and a small comp. Sad thing is I live down the street and I will never be back until they sell the place, which will happen real soon.