“New, shows promise”

Cuisines: Cajun & Creole, Seafood
Columbia, Maryland
“New, shows promise”
Reviewed 16 May 2014

We had read about this place on the HowChow blog. Since we are great fans of Cajun food, we went there on 15 May. We were surprised to see the soft opening banner out front. There were a moderate number of people there, but the restaurant is clearly new. I hope that it will gather a good following and stick around. Grand opening is Friday 16 May with full menu.

For the soft opening, they served a free platter consisting of "wild Cajun" wings, Boudin balls, Seafood Egg rolls, gumbo (chicken and sausage), and "wild cajun" crawfish. We only payed for drinks (and tip).

The web page is a bit hard to read since it scrolls on you without any obvious way to make it stop to explore any particular page.

The inside is completely redone from the Chinese buffet that had been there before. Sound was a bit loud, but a word with a manager makes me think that they might address that in the near future. We also talked with the chef, who is a 74 year old imported from Louisiana.

Our opinions on the food we were served:

the wings were crispy with just a little dab of a sweet hot sauce on them. From the menu, I think one will be able to order a variety of sauces.

The boudin balls were ok -- fairly heavy on a cornmeal filling.

The seafood egg rolls were quite good, well filled with some sort of meat (Krab? Shrimp?) and not too much of the usual vegetable stuffing.

The crawfish tasted ok, fairly spicy coating on the shells. I'm not a fan of crawfish in the shell. Like crabs, they take a lot of effort for a little bit of meat. I really like crawfish in a dish such as etoufee (which is on the full menu).

The star of the platter for us was the gumbo. It may not have been the very best of the many different gumbo's we have had -- but it was certainly right up there near the top. The gumbo they served had chunks of chicken and of smoked sausage. It had a moderate heat level. They also do a seafood gumbo on their full menu.

Next time we go for their full menu, it will be gumbo and etoufee. To me, those are the dishes by which one measures a mid-line Cajun restaurant. I'm giving this restaurant a 5 rating based on what I think they are going to be. Once they have settled down with their full menu, we will go back and report again.

This place could easily be one of our go-to places.

• Visited May 2014