“Exceptional”

The Wayside Inn
Catonsville, Maryland
“Exceptional”
Reviewed 5 April 2014

I am from Catonsville and didn't know this gem was hiding in plain sight. From the moment our host, David, greeted us at the front door, my husband and I instantly felt at home. This was our first B&B experience, but it won't be our last. David is a charming and gracious host and makes you feel at home. Our room was beautiful and we especially loved the large jetted tub! From the large bottle of bubble bath and the jar of Hershey kisses that David insists are a must, this was a most relaxing and enjoyable evening. You must not miss out on the delicious breakfast, which David prepares with much enthusiasm. This was a great gift from special friends, and we now feel we have a new friend.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
David B, Owner at The Wayside Inn, responded to this review, 8 April 2014
To say your review made my day is definitely an understatement. Please thank your friends for gifting you with a stay at our B&B! It was a pleasure getting to know you, and I'm already looking forward to your next visit. Don't be a stranger!

David

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 6 March 2014

My sister and I decided to do a weekend getaway for Mother's Day 2013 and found this enchanting bed and breakfast right in our own backyard. The weather didn't cooperate for the weekend but despite the rain (which was no one's fault!), we thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Wayside Inn. Our Hosts were lovely and gracious, the house itself is full of historical charm, and we loved the bedrooms!

The Wayside has WONDERFUL sheets -- they were so luxurious, my sister and I ordered a pair each and they've proven to be well worth the investment. (The sheets are yummy -- make sure to check them out!)

And speaking of yummy, the country breakfast is great. You're served in a great room, with lots of individual tables and chairs to sit at, so if you don't want to do the "sit at a big table" deal, you don't have to. The food was more than expected and scrumptious. Additionally, the Hosts have a coffee station on the second floor, so if you need a caffeine or hot chocolate fix, you don't have to go far to get one.

My sister and I stayed in the Margo Suite which was delightful. There were two rooms -- the actual bedroom and an adjacent sitting room. The bathroom was nicely appointed and our only complaint was that we should have booked an extra night instead of just two!

The Wayside Inn is super close to the Columbia Mall, old Ellicott City and Catonsville, and there are lots of restaurants nearby. The location is terrific if you want the feeling of getting away, but don't want to drive miles to experience some rustic charm.

The main floor has a terrific sitting room for reading, napping, having wine, or just doing nothing and the Hosts are very welcoming with allowing you to roam throughout the house. The décor is worth seeing and they've kept up the interior and exterior very well.

It was such a delight, my husband and I will definitely check it out for a couples get-a-way!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
David B, Owner at The Wayside Inn, responded to this review, 7 March 2014
Thank you for this glowing recommendation, Zehndi! I appreciate you taking the time to follow up with us after your sisters' getaway last year. Other reviewers undoubtedly will appreciate your attention to detail as much as I do!

Until next time,
David, Owner
Hebron, Kentucky
Reviewed 25 February 2014

My first time at a Bed and Breakfast. Loved the whole experience. Owners were friendly and hospitable. Left feeling like I'd made a new friend. Rooms were inviting and comfortable. Breakfast was an event… the best in Maryland!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
David B, Owner at The Wayside Inn, responded to this review, 27 February 2014
Great to hear from you, Cathy! I can't tell you how glad I am that your first experience at a bed and breakfast was with us. The fact that you think ours is the best breakfast in Maryland is just the icing on the cake!

Until next time,
David, Owner
Towson, Maryland
Reviewed 25 February 2014

It was my and my fiance's wedding night and owners Susan and David at the The Wayside Inn could not have made it any more special! The Inn, room, breakfast and service were fantastic. Greeted at the door by David and made to feel at home, this beautiful historic house was the perfect setting for our first night as husband and wife.

Just wait until you try the breakfast!

A wonderful stay.

Room Tip: We stayed in the THE BANNEKER ROOM, the jacuzzi and bathroom was HUGE!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
David B, Owner at The Wayside Inn, responded to this review, 27 February 2014
We're honored you chose to spend your wedding night at our place, Emma! Sharing in special occasions with our guests is one of our favorite things about running a B&B, and yours was no exception. Best wishes to the happy couple!

Cheers,
Baltimore, Maryland, United States
Reviewed 18 February 2014

My wife and i try to get away one night a year. We were looking for something that we would remember for years to to come. The Wayside Inn is the plays to go. The staff there are phenominal the food is excellent. I'm not much on breakfast but the breakfast Daavid prepared was excellent.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Justin H
David B, Owner at The Wayside Inn, responded to this review, 20 February 2014
Hey, Justin!

Great to hear from you via TripAdvisor. I so appreciate you thinking of us when you were planning your annual getaway, and I'm thrilled you followed up with such a stellar recommendation. We're already looking forward to your next visit!

Colesville, Maryland
Reviewed 16 February 2014

Absolutely a top-notch bed an breakfast. Well thought out, friendly and welcoming. The devil is in the details and David has thought of it all from gourmet breakfast's, chocolate chip cookies waiting for you in the lobby to the awsome common rooms and books in the library, decor, history I can go on and on. I wasn't expecting to love it but I loved it and will be back! Wayside Inn should be the blue print of what a bed and breakfast should be. Clean, warm, and most of all relaxing relaxing relaxing. Took the wife for quality time away from the kids and it worked. Simply its the best of the best! It's not the biggest property in the B and B universe but it's one of the best no doubt.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
David B, Owner at The Wayside Inn, responded to this review, 18 February 2014
"Wayside Inn should be the blue print of what a bed and breakfast should be." We can't ask for a much better compliment than that, Charles! Thanks for following up with us after your stay. We can't wait to have you back!

Keyser, West Virginia
Reviewed 2 February 2014

We have stayed in many inns and B&Bs throughout the USA and Europe and, without a doubt, The Wayside Inn experience was one of our best. We recently spent two warm and cozy nights at the inn on a special occasion get-away. From David's first friendly greeting to our final good-bye, we enjoyed the welcoming ambience of this beautifully restored historic house, the pampered comfort and amenities of the Banneker Room with adjoining spa-like bathroom, and the delicious breakfasts served along with David's great conversation. Ellicott City and the surrounding area provided plenty of opportunity for shopping, dining, entertainment, and exploring historic sites. We highly recommend The Wayside Inn as a wonderful stay.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
David B, Owner at The Wayside Inn, responded to this review, 4 February 2014
Your recommendation is music to my ears, Judith! Thanks for staying with us, and thanks for following up with such a touching review. I hope you'll keep us in mind next time you're planning a getaway!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ellicott City
Hampton Inn Columbia
#4 of 12 in Columbia
Sheraton Columbia Town Center Hotel
Hampton Inn & Suites Columbia / South

Been to The Wayside Inn? Share your experiences!