“Great BBQ, the pit turkey sandwich is a favorite in our house”

Canopy Incorporated
Ranked #32 of 168 Restaurants in Ellicott City
Price range: US$1 - US$20
Good for: Cheap Eats, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Takeout
Harrogate, United Kingdom
“Great BBQ, the pit turkey sandwich is a favorite in our house”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

We're within 2 miles of this place, so it's a regular stop for us. I LOVE their BBQ sauce. The fries are always excellent, and my son loves their mac-n-cheese. The pit turkey sandwich is SO yummy. The turkey is always perfect.

I've never had mediocre food there, much less bad food. The prices went up a couple of month ago though, that's a bummer. There are often coupons in penny savers and other random magazines/flyers that end up in your mailbox.

The service there is ALWAYS great. The guys are super nice and friendly, and very quick.

If you're new to the area - realize there is NO seating there - it's strictly a pick-up or delivery place.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank Kelly H

Gaithersburg, Maryland
“Very good most of the time!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2013

I live a half-mile from Canopy, so I've been able to give them lots of business over the years. I don't want to sound like I'm disputing the rave reviews I see here, but my most recent experiences (the last few dozen) haven't been quite as stellar. The pit turkey is always excellent, and the bbq sandwiches are always very good (perhaps a smidge overrated, in my humble opinion), but I've had a few mediocre chicken meals (quarter chicken dark) and a few mediocre beef sandwiches lately. My primary reason for not giving it 5 stars is because I've had quite a few lousy french fries lately. Don't get me wrong . . . these french fries are by far the best I've ever tasted, but of the last 20 orders, probably 8 or 10 have been somewhat overcooked and/or dried out, which is to say that they're probably as good or better than almost any other fries you'll ever eat, but not quite as good as Canopy fries usually are. But when they're good, they are exceptional fries! And the portions are WAY generous. The staff is always friendly, and they always go out of their way to thank you for leaving tips. Parking is somewhat limited, and slightly awkward and confined, FYI. Again, most of my experiences at The canopy have been excellent, but lately it hasn't been quite as awesome. I'm crossing my fingers that it's just a fluke. But even mediocre Canopy food is pretty darn good. It's worth going just for a large order of fries . . . . or four!!!

• Visited October 2013
Alexandria, Virginia
“I have driven an hour and a half each way 3 times in the last two months”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2013

I live in Alexandria, VA and my wife and I have driven to Ellicott City for the pit beef, chicken and crab soup three times in the last 2 months. I first had a taste when my dad, uncle and cousin, who all lived in/around the area at some point recommended Canopy as the place to go in MD for pit beef after I moved to VA. We even stopped on the way to bring 2 pounds of beef and a quart of cream of crab to our family Christmas in Pennsylvania. Worth the miles out of our way!

The only suggestion, and probably just from me, is to put a couple of chairs and a table in for those of us that drive from way out of town for a sandwich! Also, the birch beer on fountain is great!

• Visited March 2013
Ellicott City, Maryland
“Where the guys go”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2013

This is the place that my son and I visit when the women are busy or out of town. Best turkey sandwich - for variety try half smoked turkey, half pit ham. The fries are really good - I grew up loving Thrashers Fries in OC, these are even better. Oh yeah - best coleslaw - hands down.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank Kevin C
Baltimore, Maryland
“Yum-Pit Beef!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2012

We've been fans of The Canopy since it was a cement slab and tent on Rt 40. The menu is simple but tasty. The food is reasonably priced. Each sandwich is made to order. Pit beef can be ordered by temperature--I like mine rare but my husband prefers well done--not a problem. They sell boardwalk style fries which are a hit with our family. Make sure you bring cash because they don't accept credit cards. This is a carry out only location so there is no place to eat.

Visited June 2012