“Turf Valley - More Valley than Turf”
Review of Turf Valley Resort

Turf Valley Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Ellicott City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Oakland, Maryland
“Turf Valley - More Valley than Turf”
Reviewed 3 May 2014

For years I have heard about Turf Valley Resort. A lovely place. Great golf (I don’t play). Fabulous conference venue. Superb hotel.

Only some of it is true.

For the most part it is a nice facility. And after a long, cold winter it was a bright spot of greenery to attend a conference there this past week. Lovingly landscaped with trees in flower when I arrived and staff setting up for an outdoor wedding. Mostly attractive buildings set amid all the greenery. A welcome respite from a winter that still lingers at home.

The staff were uniformly helpful and friendly. I’m sure it wasn’t their fault that the house wi-fi system hardly ever produced a decent connection and was a source of constant frustration. It’s too bad they don’t upgrade this system since eventually they will lose business when business people realize they aren’t able to connect. In this day and age, you really can’t call yourself a “conference center” and not offer a dependable internet service. In addition, the hotel charges $25/day for this rather iffy privilege - highway robbery!!! Guests get it “free”, but as mentioned, it’s difficult and frustrating to find a decent connection.

Public areas of the hotel are quite nice. Clean and modern with a sky high atrium above the lower level restaurant looking out on a part of the golf course. We had good weather both days of the meeting so the views were lovely. They have a spa on site, but it’s a bit hard to find as it’s tucked away into a far corner of the lower level. I did not use any of the spa services.

They need more restaurant seating for large groups, but I am happy to say that their food is EXcellent!! Someone in that kitchen knows what they are doing and we enjoyed every meal we had - including the mass feed at lunch - the best large meeting/conference food I have ever had!

Rooms were clean, if dated. Small by current hotel standards, except possibly in New York city, the bathing/toilet room was quite small, with few amenities and the rest of the room seemed clean, but poorly lit. At night, though, my room was lit up like a stage due to large amounts of infiltrating light from the brightly lit parking lot (which my room overlooked) and the overly bright lights from the corridor seeping through the poorly sealed door. Surprisingly, additional light pollution from electronics (TV, radio, other typical hotel room light polluters) was at a relative minimum. Would it be too much trouble to dim the lights in the corridors after 10 PM both to save electricity and reduce ambient light in guest rooms?

All rooms had individual heating/cooling units. The one in my room was so loud it was impossible to think. Earplugs made no difference. Thankfully, nights were still cool, so I could turn the unit down and then off for the night to get some sleep. However, excessive noise from units in neighboring rooms were a source of constant sleep interruption. Bad. You wouldn’t like me when I’m tired. Heck - I DON’T like me when I’m tired!

So the highly touted Turf Valley Resort was not particularly what it was cracked up to be, but generally serviceable and really has great food! Go for the restaurant -Alexandra’s - but not for a good night’s sleep.

Room Tip: Given the excessive loudness of the heating/cooling system, I'm not sure there would be a good r...
Green Features: iffy… the usual save towels and those amenities offered seem to have been environmentally produced, but other "green practices" were ignored such as turning down lights in public corridors and/or adding real green practices such as low-flow shower heads or solar panels.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank jsg1914

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 2 May 2014

Family-owned, this is one of our favorite places to stay in Maryland. The owner, Pete, was more than accomodating on two different stays. We actually held our wedding reception here with out-of-town guests from Chicago, Long Island, and Wisconsin - and all had a wonderful time. The lobby bar has plenty of seating and remained open all night well after our reception ended at 11PM. During our second stay, we loved the live jazz music in the lobby, which leads down to the main dining restaurant "Alexandra's." The restaurant overlooks the 18th green of the main golf course (there are two). We had crab cake, salmon, and lamb for dinner - cooked perfectly. Great beers on tap. Executive suite is the way to go - with large sofa area, large bathroom, and great views. Loved the indoor pool - it was warm the entire time with a "hot" hot-tub next to it (we all know that hot tubs aren't always hot). Outside, they also have a pool for guests as well as a member's grill with fantastic beers on tap. I've golfed both courses, and both are exquisitely manicured and offer varying types of challenges for a seasoned golfer. Great golfing range. We've also used the spa - and Robert was our masseuse - he is the best. Stay here and you won't regret it.

Room Tip: Tons of room configurations and options. View over the 18th green with the large pond and fountain...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Davidson, North Carolina
Reviewed 1 May 2014

Spent the night before a conference at the hotel and had a very nice experience.
While the location is not very convenient if you don't have a car, it is in a lovely wooded area that contains its golf course.
The room was spacious, clean, and the bed was nice and firm. My only "complaint" was it had only a big walk in shower and i sometimes enjoy a soaking bath.
The bartender poured a full dose of scotch and kept the drinks coming.
If i get another trip into the area, i'll plan to play some golf as the course looked to be in great shape, and nicely laid out

Room Tip: avoid the ice makers
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Maryland
Reviewed 12 March 2014

Do not spend the night in this hotel. I had to spend the night last Wednesday for work. I could not sleep all night. Around evening time, I noticed the heating system was not working, yet was blowing something out loud. They sent maintance and fixed the heat. Later that night, everytime I fell asleep this loud heaing system would come on and roar waking me up all night long. By 5:30 am I got up and ready and left the room. My meeting was not until 8:30 am.

When I checked out, the front desk said that they would tell maintance. They did not give me a discount or refund my payment. They did not get a manager.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Mechanicsburg
Reviewed 12 March 2014

The hotel is in a nice setting in the suburbs. It is very convenient off I-70 West and Rt 40.

The hotel is very nice about adding improvements to the traveler experience. Alexandra’s Restaurant has done a 360 turnaround since I was there last. The food is so upgraded! The seating, colors, lighting and service are much better too. The restaurant expanded and has two private rooms for private parties.

The golf course is very convenient to the hotel; 36 holes.

The new shopping center over the hill from the hotel is very convenient. There are like 5-6 restaurants and a new Harris Teeter supermarket.

The brown/orange tile in the lobby dates the first impression for guests. But it’s a big project to replace so I’ll give the hotel some latitude on that comment. The electronic reader boards in the lobby are a big asset to finding meeting rooms and other activities.

The one complaint is the internet signal is intermittent.

Overall, the experience was very good.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the golf course.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Ocean City, Maryland
Reviewed 2 March 2014

We just used Turf Valley for our annual shareholders meeting and dinner. Everything was perfect and the staffs attention to detail was second to none. The meeting room was setup as requested and the break went off without a hitch. Maria's was perfect for the dinner and the menu and food was excellent. Service was attentive and they even bagged the partial bottles of wine for us to take with us.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 8 January 2014

This is the second year that we've celebrated New Year's Eve at Turf Valley. The food and drinks were once again outstanding. Victoria is the best and always ensures her guests have the best time they can. Top shelf drinks, a lavish buffet, great music and superior service. I can't ask for anything better for a New Year's Celebration.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
DoubleTree by Hilton Columbia
Sonesta ES Suites Columbia
Sheraton Columbia Town Center Hotel
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Baltimore West - Catonsville

Been to Turf Valley Resort? Share your experiences!