“Good value, Friendly staff, Would Stay Here Again”
Review of Turf Valley Resort

Turf Valley Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Ellicott City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 23 May 2014

I selected Turf Valley for its location nearby a recent Reunion in the area; and also because I hoped to have time for golf. The courses looked nice, but can't say more about that since I didn't get to play. The hotel seemed especially well managed. Front desk very welcoming and upgraded me although I didn't request this. Room was comfortable. good cable selection; but bathroom a little small and outdated. Had one breakfast which was excellent.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the mini-suites at end of the hall. Comes with a fridge and small kitchen. Dependin...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for Turf Valley Resort

Reviewed 21 May 2014

We held a retirement party for around 70 guests at Turf Valley and had a terrific experience. Jenny (Director of Catering) worked with us and she was the consummate professional every step of the way; responsive, helpful, and knowledgeable. The room we used (Terrace on the Green) was lovely, the food was delicious, and the wait staff was top notch. We received many compliments from the guests on the locale, food, and overall positive experience. I'd highly recommend Turf Valley for an event.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 May 2014

I stayed here because it was the closest hotel to the Maryland Sheep & Wool Festival (the largest in the US, and a ton of fun). The location was great for that, the hotel was nice, and we got a good rate because of the conference. The hotel is big, and as far as I can tell you can only enter via the front door, which made hauling luggage a chore, but I didn't get around to asking for help. The room was huge, with a kitchenette, sitting room with couches and dining room table, and a bedroom with a desk (in addition to the bed). Very nice, especially for the reduced price.

Room Tip: Ask for a centrally located room to avoid hauling luggage long distances.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 May 2014

For years I have heard about Turf Valley Resort. A lovely place. Great golf (I don’t play). Fabulous conference venue. Superb hotel.

Only some of it is true.

For the most part it is a nice facility. And after a long, cold winter it was a bright spot of greenery to attend a conference there this past week. Lovingly landscaped with trees in flower when I arrived and staff setting up for an outdoor wedding. Mostly attractive buildings set amid all the greenery. A welcome respite from a winter that still lingers at home.

The staff were uniformly helpful and friendly. I’m sure it wasn’t their fault that the house wi-fi system hardly ever produced a decent connection and was a source of constant frustration. It’s too bad they don’t upgrade this system since eventually they will lose business when business people realize they aren’t able to connect. In this day and age, you really can’t call yourself a “conference center” and not offer a dependable internet service. In addition, the hotel charges $25/day for this rather iffy privilege - highway robbery!!! Guests get it “free”, but as mentioned, it’s difficult and frustrating to find a decent connection.

Public areas of the hotel are quite nice. Clean and modern with a sky high atrium above the lower level restaurant looking out on a part of the golf course. We had good weather both days of the meeting so the views were lovely. They have a spa on site, but it’s a bit hard to find as it’s tucked away into a far corner of the lower level. I did not use any of the spa services.

They need more restaurant seating for large groups, but I am happy to say that their food is EXcellent!! Someone in that kitchen knows what they are doing and we enjoyed every meal we had - including the mass feed at lunch - the best large meeting/conference food I have ever had!

Rooms were clean, if dated. Small by current hotel standards, except possibly in New York city, the bathing/toilet room was quite small, with few amenities and the rest of the room seemed clean, but poorly lit. At night, though, my room was lit up like a stage due to large amounts of infiltrating light from the brightly lit parking lot (which my room overlooked) and the overly bright lights from the corridor seeping through the poorly sealed door. Surprisingly, additional light pollution from electronics (TV, radio, other typical hotel room light polluters) was at a relative minimum. Would it be too much trouble to dim the lights in the corridors after 10 PM both to save electricity and reduce ambient light in guest rooms?

All rooms had individual heating/cooling units. The one in my room was so loud it was impossible to think. Earplugs made no difference. Thankfully, nights were still cool, so I could turn the unit down and then off for the night to get some sleep. However, excessive noise from units in neighboring rooms were a source of constant sleep interruption. Bad. You wouldn’t like me when I’m tired. Heck - I DON’T like me when I’m tired!

So the highly touted Turf Valley Resort was not particularly what it was cracked up to be, but generally serviceable and really has great food! Go for the restaurant -Alexandra’s - but not for a good night’s sleep.

Room Tip: Given the excessive loudness of the heating/cooling system, I'm not sure there would be a good r...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank jsg1914
Reviewed 2 May 2014

Family-owned, this is one of our favorite places to stay in Maryland. The owner, Pete, was more than accomodating on two different stays. We actually held our wedding reception here with out-of-town guests from Chicago, Long Island, and Wisconsin - and all had a wonderful time. The lobby bar has plenty of seating and remained open all night well after our reception ended at 11PM. During our second stay, we loved the live jazz music in the lobby, which leads down to the main dining restaurant "Alexandra's." The restaurant overlooks the 18th green of the main golf course (there are two). We had crab cake, salmon, and lamb for dinner - cooked perfectly. Great beers on tap. Executive suite is the way to go - with large sofa area, large bathroom, and great views. Loved the indoor pool - it was warm the entire time with a "hot" hot-tub next to it (we all know that hot tubs aren't always hot). Outside, they also have a pool for guests as well as a member's grill with fantastic beers on tap. I've golfed both courses, and both are exquisitely manicured and offer varying types of challenges for a seasoned golfer. Great golfing range. We've also used the spa - and Robert was our masseuse - he is the best. Stay here and you won't regret it.

Room Tip: Tons of room configurations and options. View over the 18th green with the large pond and fountain...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 May 2014

Spent the night before a conference at the hotel and had a very nice experience.
While the location is not very convenient if you don't have a car, it is in a lovely wooded area that contains its golf course.
The room was spacious, clean, and the bed was nice and firm. My only "complaint" was it had only a big walk in shower and i sometimes enjoy a soaking bath.
The bartender poured a full dose of scotch and kept the drinks coming.
If i get another trip into the area, i'll plan to play some golf as the course looked to be in great shape, and nicely laid out

Room Tip: avoid the ice makers
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 March 2014

Do not spend the night in this hotel. I had to spend the night last Wednesday for work. I could not sleep all night. Around evening time, I noticed the heating system was not working, yet was blowing something out loud. They sent maintance and fixed the heat. Later that night, everytime I fell asleep this loud heaing system would come on and roar waking me up all night long. By 5:30 am I got up and ready and left the room. My meeting was not until 8:30 am.

When I checked out, the front desk said that they would tell maintance. They did not give me a discount or refund my payment. They did not get a manager.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
#4 of 12 in Columbia
Sonesta ES Suites Columbia
Sheraton Columbia Town Center Hotel
Royal Sonesta Harbor Court Baltimore

Been to Turf Valley Resort? Share your experiences!