“Okay for a day”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Bel Air, Md
“Okay for a day”
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Went to a 1 day conference at this facility. The grounds are lovely and look very well kept. There was ample parking. We entered at the door marked "Conference Center", however our room was on the other side of the facility. The lobby and area where we entered looked very clean and updated..as we passed through the lobby and headed toward our conference room (perhaps the Wedgewood room..don't recall for sure), the furniture, drapes and esp the carpet appeared dated. Many areas of the orange toned carpet looked as if it needed a good cleaning! Our room was bright with comfy padded chairs, however the coffee was not especially hot and given that the room was ice cold...hot coffee would have helped!! The speaker kept asking to have the facilities staff come and address the temp, but this never seemed to improve. Any staff we passed made eye contact and always gave a greeting..nice! Although the facility looks a bit remote, it is not far (about 10 min) from the old part of downtown Ellicott City. you can always sweeten your experience with a stroll, a snack and a glass of wine in this quaint old area. There are numbered parking spots on the street (pay with a credit card at the machine) and a public lot nearby as well.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Cedar falls
Reviewed 7 June 2014

Let me start off by saying that I was not there for golf, rather I was staying there for nearby business. Unfortunately this is the only hotel in the near area. The foyer looks great and there is plenty of parking. Desk staff was very pleasant. I stayed on the third floor and I am confident that my room had not been updated in a very long time. The bed was uncomfortable and was well worn. The bathroom was something fresh out of the 80's and the 80's did call and wanted the carpet back. It was not clean, well worn. The updates to this "resort" have clearly been in the golf and foyer areas. Very disappointed.

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel.
Green Features: They are environmentally friendly because they don't remodel.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank PhantomB222
Connecticut
Reviewed 23 May 2014

I selected Turf Valley for its location nearby a recent Reunion in the area; and also because I hoped to have time for golf. The courses looked nice, but can't say more about that since I didn't get to play. The hotel seemed especially well managed. Front desk very welcoming and upgraded me although I didn't request this. Room was comfortable. good cable selection; but bathroom a little small and outdated. Had one breakfast which was excellent.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the mini-suites at end of the hall. Comes with a fridge and small kitchen. Dependin...
Green Features: They seem to be making an effort to be "green"
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Ellicott City, Maryland
Reviewed 21 May 2014

We held a retirement party for around 70 guests at Turf Valley and had a terrific experience. Jenny (Director of Catering) worked with us and she was the consummate professional every step of the way; responsive, helpful, and knowledgeable. The room we used (Terrace on the Green) was lovely, the food was delicious, and the wait staff was top notch. We received many compliments from the guests on the locale, food, and overall positive experience. I'd highly recommend Turf Valley for an event.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Cambridge, MA
Reviewed 5 May 2014

I stayed here because it was the closest hotel to the Maryland Sheep & Wool Festival (the largest in the US, and a ton of fun). The location was great for that, the hotel was nice, and we got a good rate because of the conference. The hotel is big, and as far as I can tell you can only enter via the front door, which made hauling luggage a chore, but I didn't get around to asking for help. The room was huge, with a kitchenette, sitting room with couches and dining room table, and a bedroom with a desk (in addition to the bed). Very nice, especially for the reduced price.

Room Tip: Ask for a centrally located room to avoid hauling luggage long distances.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Oakland, Maryland
Reviewed 3 May 2014

For years I have heard about Turf Valley Resort. A lovely place. Great golf (I don’t play). Fabulous conference venue. Superb hotel.

Only some of it is true.

For the most part it is a nice facility. And after a long, cold winter it was a bright spot of greenery to attend a conference there this past week. Lovingly landscaped with trees in flower when I arrived and staff setting up for an outdoor wedding. Mostly attractive buildings set amid all the greenery. A welcome respite from a winter that still lingers at home.

The staff were uniformly helpful and friendly. I’m sure it wasn’t their fault that the house wi-fi system hardly ever produced a decent connection and was a source of constant frustration. It’s too bad they don’t upgrade this system since eventually they will lose business when business people realize they aren’t able to connect. In this day and age, you really can’t call yourself a “conference center” and not offer a dependable internet service. In addition, the hotel charges $25/day for this rather iffy privilege - highway robbery!!! Guests get it “free”, but as mentioned, it’s difficult and frustrating to find a decent connection.

Public areas of the hotel are quite nice. Clean and modern with a sky high atrium above the lower level restaurant looking out on a part of the golf course. We had good weather both days of the meeting so the views were lovely. They have a spa on site, but it’s a bit hard to find as it’s tucked away into a far corner of the lower level. I did not use any of the spa services.

They need more restaurant seating for large groups, but I am happy to say that their food is EXcellent!! Someone in that kitchen knows what they are doing and we enjoyed every meal we had - including the mass feed at lunch - the best large meeting/conference food I have ever had!

Rooms were clean, if dated. Small by current hotel standards, except possibly in New York city, the bathing/toilet room was quite small, with few amenities and the rest of the room seemed clean, but poorly lit. At night, though, my room was lit up like a stage due to large amounts of infiltrating light from the brightly lit parking lot (which my room overlooked) and the overly bright lights from the corridor seeping through the poorly sealed door. Surprisingly, additional light pollution from electronics (TV, radio, other typical hotel room light polluters) was at a relative minimum. Would it be too much trouble to dim the lights in the corridors after 10 PM both to save electricity and reduce ambient light in guest rooms?

All rooms had individual heating/cooling units. The one in my room was so loud it was impossible to think. Earplugs made no difference. Thankfully, nights were still cool, so I could turn the unit down and then off for the night to get some sleep. However, excessive noise from units in neighboring rooms were a source of constant sleep interruption. Bad. You wouldn’t like me when I’m tired. Heck - I DON’T like me when I’m tired!

So the highly touted Turf Valley Resort was not particularly what it was cracked up to be, but generally serviceable and really has great food! Go for the restaurant -Alexandra’s - but not for a good night’s sleep.

Room Tip: Given the excessive loudness of the heating/cooling system, I'm not sure there would be a good r...
Green Features: iffy… the usual save towels and those amenities offered seem to have been environmentally produced, but other "green practices" were ignored such as turning down lights in public corridors and/or adding real green practices such as low-flow shower heads or solar panels.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank jsg1914
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 2 May 2014

Family-owned, this is one of our favorite places to stay in Maryland. The owner, Pete, was more than accomodating on two different stays. We actually held our wedding reception here with out-of-town guests from Chicago, Long Island, and Wisconsin - and all had a wonderful time. The lobby bar has plenty of seating and remained open all night well after our reception ended at 11PM. During our second stay, we loved the live jazz music in the lobby, which leads down to the main dining restaurant "Alexandra's." The restaurant overlooks the 18th green of the main golf course (there are two). We had crab cake, salmon, and lamb for dinner - cooked perfectly. Great beers on tap. Executive suite is the way to go - with large sofa area, large bathroom, and great views. Loved the indoor pool - it was warm the entire time with a "hot" hot-tub next to it (we all know that hot tubs aren't always hot). Outside, they also have a pool for guests as well as a member's grill with fantastic beers on tap. I've golfed both courses, and both are exquisitely manicured and offer varying types of challenges for a seasoned golfer. Great golfing range. We've also used the spa - and Robert was our masseuse - he is the best. Stay here and you won't regret it.

Room Tip: Tons of room configurations and options. View over the 18th green with the large pond and fountain...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
DoubleTree by Hilton Columbia
Sonesta ES Suites Columbia
Sheraton Columbia Town Center Hotel
Hampton Inn & Suites Columbia / South

Been to Turf Valley Resort? Share your experiences!