“A want-a-be”

Turf Valley Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Ellicott City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 27 July 2005

Just returned from a wedding reception and two-night stay at this facility. Although the grounds were lovely, that is where it ended. Two nights of small children running the halls into the wee hours, screaming, and playing on the elevators while the staff watched was too much. We had the misfortune being in the room next to theirs. Loud television and beds used as trampolines. When we complained directly to them, they would later open their door and shreik down the hallway. When the front desk was advised, they looked at you with blank stares. Nothing was done except to tell them "no running-don't play on the elevators".
The flowers in the hotel lobby and restaurant were dying from a lack of water. We were told they would be replaced the following Monday!
When we checked in on Friday afternoon, dishes and trays from room service were in our hallway. They were still there the following morning, even though the paper thin walls and doors allowed us to hear room service making a delivery. They had been removed by the middle of the afternoon. Additionally, dust webs were observed hanging from the air vents near the lobby elevator.
To close an outdoor swimming pool at 8 on an extremly hot day is unreal. In fact, we were chased out at 7:45 on Saturday evening. We were told we could use the indoor one, but it closed at 9.
A member of the wedding party has a handicapped daughter. When they tried to go to the dining room, the mother was informed the daughter was not attired properly. When asked what she needed to change to, she was met with no reply. Other people wearing similar clothing were being seated.
Other people in the party had problems getting into their rooms with their key cards.
This hotel was way overpriced for the value we received. I belive this facility is managed by Marriott, but is not up to their standards.

• Stayed: July 2005
6  Thank John L

highlands ranch, colorado
Reviewed 15 July 2005

We scheduled a low key day on our road trip to Washington DC. We thought a resort that offered a large pool and tennis courts would make a relaxing stop on our visit. After viewing the website for the Turf Valley Resort, it appeared to be everything we were looking for in a resort hotel. We were very mistaken. The surrounding area, and the grounds of the resort are lovely, and the highlight of the resort. The rooms, including the luxury suite, are small, musty, outdated and very overpriced. The fitness center was very dirty and the equipment was in need of repair. The service was even more disappointing than the accomodations. With the exception of the bellmen, the resort staff memebers were rude, inattentive and appear uninterested in the satisfaction of their guests.

Save your money and skip this "resort" experience.

10  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
ny
Reviewed 30 June 2005

For an older hotel was not as bad as some of previous reviews make out to be, we were worried, but a wedding in the hotel brought us here.
diamond in the rough would be my discription
staff at desk young, but eager to do good job
electricy went out in building and was handled as best as situation could have been.
wedding ceremony was not affected and was lovely at the gazebo outside.
reception was in beatiful room viewing the golf course, food was great.
bride must have spent a lot of time planning such a nice event.
golf and brunch in the resturant was first class all the way, worth the stay.
was told by staff that improvments are slated for later this year, we may come back just to check it out, and visit family

• Stayed: June 2005, travelled on business
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 25 April 2005

We were in town for a wedding party to be held at this hotel, but I wish it had been elsewhere. We tried to check-in at 3:50PM but were told, by this idle staff member, that we would have to wait until 4PM, a stupid rule, but we agreed to have a drink in the lounge and return after 4pm. At 4:20 I returned to the desk only to be confronted with a bus load of patrons waiting in line and a thoroughly befuddled desk staff. At close to 6pm I was finally in possession of my room keycards. Upon placing the card in the reader to our room several times, the door finally was opened from the inside by a rather irate woman asking "what the heck we were doing trying to get into her room?" Back to the desk for re-assignment.

After getting another room issued, we proceeded to that room only to find it far less appointed than pictured and described. A queen sized bed was promised, a double was delivered. There was very little room to move about in this tiny room. As other posters have mentioned, the walls are like tissue paper when it comes to sound control, the walls actually shook when the door to an adjoining room was closed. The bathroom lacked soap, had a dirty mirror, towels were like sandpaper. The coffee maker did not work. Light from the hall was visible around the door at night. Pillows were like a bag of air (no substance to them at all) The mattress was terribly worn out, sagging at all points and lumpy in many spots.

Yes, the elevators are slow, very slow, but the doors are set to close a nanosecond after opening. The room was not cleaned at all the second day, I had to call the front desk three times to obtain fresh towels. The furniture throughout the entire facility is 1970's garage sale vintage and style. It is in serious need of refurbishment. The brick wall along the handicap ramp in the front of the hotel is in danger of collapse, it is listing at least 10° from vertical.

The bar adjoining the lobby closed down at 11pm on a Saturday night. There were at least 30 people having a nitecap or two, and the bar surely could have made a tidy profit that evening if they had only stayed open.

This could be a far better place if only they would invest in a serious update of the facilities, and find a competent management team. This place obviously is lacking one at the moment.

• Stayed: April 2005
9  Thank OhioH20
Reviewed 13 February 2005

Stayed at the Turf Valley Resort and Spa in Feb. 2005 for spa package. Received a wonderful couples massage, elegant dinner at Alexandra's restaurant on premises, and room service breakfast. Breakfast was not too good-had better at Golden Corral. Gratuities were included for everything except the spa. My husband and I thought the taxes (MD state and Howard County room tax) were ridicuous! Would we stay here again? Possibly, but would not do a package deal.

6  Thank LisaDSBaltimore
Baltimore
Reviewed 1 January 2005

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Turf Valley Resort for New Year's Eve, and I must say that I was not totally disgusted to the point that I left, but I was not totally impressed either.

The rooms need a little work (cosmetic). We stayed in one of their king jacuzzi suites, and I must say it was something. I do agree with the other reviewers that the walls are paper thin. I do not want to totally "down the place" because the staff was tremendously helpful and accommodating, and the property is nicely kept; however, the rooms were questionable. They were not as modern as I thought they should be. The spreads, dust ruffles, wallpaper, and drapes should have been coordinated and they are a bit outdated, and the TV was too small (19 in).

Now the bathroom was very nice (the wallpaper was a little outdated), but very nice and huge. But, what grossed me out was that there was hair (a lot of it) in the jacuzzi, in the shower, and on the floor. To me, this is one of the most disgusting encounters one can stumble across in a hotel. I think that this episode turned me off to the resort entirely.

As I mentioned earlier, the hotel staff was great! Also, the dinner we had at Alexandra's (the resort's restaurant) was wonderful, and the service was impeccable. All in all, this would be a great resort if they update their rooms (i.e spreads, towels, drapes, wallpaper, etc) to make it look more like a plush resort. Last, they should train their housekeepers to clean much better. Hair in the bathroom is totally inexcusable!

8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Owings Mills, MD
Reviewed 23 November 2004

I have stayed at this resort numerous times and find it to be very pleasurable. The staff is very friendly and helpful and the food is delicious

• Stayed: November 2004, travelled on business
#4 of 12 in Columbia
Sheraton Columbia Town Center Hotel
Hampton Inn & Suites Columbia / South
Sonesta ES Suites Columbia

Been to Turf Valley Resort? Share your experiences!