“Meh---could be better!”

Turf Valley Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Ellicott City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 28 February 2011

I have stayed at the Turf Valley Resort for two separate conferences. I just recently stayed here and also stayed here in February 2010. I have had two wildly different rooms. Last year, my room was extremely small, with two full beds and a small bathroom. The room was older and hadn't been updated in a while. That being said, it was suitable for my needs but definitely didn't have that "resort" feel.

This year, I had a room with one king bed and one pull out couch. This room was MUCH nicer (at the same price as the other room). It was VERY large, with a refrigerator, microwave and a HUGE bathroom. The shower was really nice and everything had obviously been somewhat recently renovated.

A problem with this resort is that you can always hear people out in the halls, even if they are speaking in a normal tone of voice. The restaurant, Alexandra's, is not the best and the only option for food at the hotel. The front desk staff are very nice and accommodating.

Turf Valley resort does offer a hotel shuttle from BWI (for a price), but they were disorganized and the shuttle drivers didn't have cbs or phones, which made them very difficult to locate. One group of people had to wait for 90 mins for their scheduled shuttle, as another group had taken it.

This place is average. I don't golf and I've only been in the winter, so I am not sure how that part of the resort stacks up. I wouldn't go out of my way to stay here.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for Turf Valley Resort

Reviewed 6 February 2011

I travel almost every week from BWI Airport. My commute home from the airport usually takes close to 2 hours. I arrived on a Wednesday afternoon. Baltimore was getting hit with snow. By the time I would have got home, my car was still on 695. After several hours I got on 70, which was a parking lot. I was exhausted and running out of gas. I saw a sign that indicated Turf Valley for Food and Lodging. I have never heard of it before so took my chances.

I departed the following morning with a smile on my face. My arrival on Wednesday night was smooth. The front desk was very helpful and accommodating. I had a large suite at a very generous rate. Room was nice and clean. The entire parking lot covered in snow was cleaned up by staff in the early morning. I also had a very nice breakfast before leaving.

Turf Valley was definitely a much needed 911 response. As it was pure luck to end up here, the experience was great. Wonderful staff. I did not realize the resort also had a spa and championship golf courses. I do plan to come back with my wife in the summer.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 January 2011

We booked the couples special. Executive room with large jacuzzi, Huge shower, lovely room, package included a couples massage in the spa and in room breakfast. We added a cheese and fruit platter with wine and some time in the whirlpool and pool. The hotel was spotless as was our room. Bed was comfy. Linens and towels where nice. Staff was pleasant. No problems whatsoever. A great weekend treat, we recommend it highly. Pricey but worth every penny.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 January 2011

I am an old (but gold) man. So every penny counts and the $2000 I dropped at this resort for room and food was well worth.

My bride and I arrived two days before Christmas and stayed for almost a week. We were on the road forever. As we approached the parking lot, I admired your beautiful golf courses. Parked at a very empty lot and walked in to a similar lobby. However, the feeling of warmth immediately came back as I was greeted by a very friendly front desk employee. A fine lady. There was no bell boy (I guess there were out doing Christmas shopping) but the gentlemen (higher up on the totem pole) who helped was a true class act - gave us the perfect welcome and represented the property with honor. Our room was a very charming suite which had a view of the golf course. The restaurant's food was yummy and portions kept me loaded for the whole day - service was very warm and friendly (however not polished)

Overall it was the perfect stay for a holiday family visit. The staff treated us like family and greeted us with warm,smiley faces on each encounter.

We will be back in the Spring.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 December 2010

My family and I were staying at Turf Valley to celebrate a family member's wedding. (We were traveling with a large group including children and three elders) Unfortunately upon our arrival on Dec. 17th, the female receptionist at the front desk was very rude. My family and I were carrying in our luggage on a cart and the receptionist proceded to laugh at them as they struggled with their things. When she was addressed about this matter, she had a very sarcastic attitude. From the momement we arrived we did not feel welcome.

The hallway and elevator was freezing! It felt as though you were outside until you finally reached your room!

VERY unsatisfied with the quality of service or lack there of and the lack of welcoming gestures from the staff.

• Stayed: December 2010
1  Thank mhilton1986
Reviewed 14 November 2010

My son most recently got married at Turf Valley. It was the perfect Fall wedding. The entire experience was flawless. Unlike the previous reviewer, we actually had our wedding at this beautiful facility, and obviously was not trying to get a refund. The event is costly. Good things in life have a price tag ! The property shows well with its beautiful golf courses and landscaping. The staff is fantastic. The food is delicious. All our guest had a great stay as well.

I highly recommend Turf Valley.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 November 2010

The hotel charges you a $100 incidental fee when you first arrive. Even if you didn't have any incidentals, the hotel keeps this $100 for a week. This was very inconvenient. In addition, the food wasn't very good and service was just ok. I wouldn't recommend staying there.

Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
#4 of 12 in Columbia
Sonesta ES Suites Columbia
Sheraton Columbia Town Center Hotel
Royal Sonesta Harbor Court Baltimore

Been to Turf Valley Resort? Share your experiences!