“Many rooms too noisy, otherwise OK”

Residence Inn Columbia
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Ellicott City
Reviewed 11 February 2014

Stayed there twice on business trips. Generally the hotel is fine, the rooms are spacious and well-equipped, the breakfast buffet is fine too (though not really caters to European tastes). However the big minus is that the Hotel is next to the highway and many rooms directly face the highway and have constant road noise. Other may not mind, but I could sleep only with ear plugs. So I'd stay there again, but only if I get confirmation in advance that my room faces away from the highway.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that faces away from the highway.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Robert P
Joel S, Front Office Manager at Residence Inn Columbia, responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2014

Hi Robert,

I hope that all is well, we certainly try to do our best to meet all of our guests needs. We are always trying to innovate our breakfast offerings, and certainly will pass your feedback along. If you are in fact going to be back in the area please reach out to me so that I can better assist you in regards to room blocking.

Joel.Shasteen@Marriott.com

Reviewed 6 February 2014

We booked the Residence because we couldn't get the Courtyard which is slightly closer to I95. We were happy we made this choice.
With the room being a mini suite, I had to ability to do some computer work, or read, or watch TV without disturbing my spouse. If you needed to cook, you could as there is a 2 burner cooktop, full size fridge, large microwave. However, we were surprised to be told there was complimentary dining that night and I think, every week night. This night it was spaghetti and meatballs. I expected canned food, but instead it was a buffet of freshly made pasta, meatballs, and sauce; and all were very good! They also had a mini salad bar with again fresh produce. Coffee always on. A welcome feast after a long journey on the road. Breakfast was also excellent with everything available, eggs, bacon, sausage, cereals, oatmeal, pastries, breads, etc. All for the price of the room!
The evening and daytime front desk staff was also excellent; very cheerful, helpful, and accommodating. Even the preparers of the wonderful food were a delight. Hint: As with other reviewers, ask for a room opposite the highway. The traffic is right outside your window and can be a little noisy at times. Also, you can take Rte 29 to get back on I95. It is a major road with traffic lights, but a bit nicer of a drive. Ask the front desk for their opinion and guidance.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms facing the highway.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 January 2014

Stayed here several weeks on business, and found it very average. It felt to me kind of like a cheap apartment. We stayed in a couple of different rooms during the month. The first room we stayed in, the sliding mirrored doors of the closet were off the track, and couldn't get them back on the track, so the closet doors just had to sit open. The door to the small utility space had no doorknob, which wasn't a big deal, but just added to the "cheap apartment" feel. Furniture in the first room seemed ok. Furniture in the second room felt and looked rather old and worn. Some stains on carpet, some stains on bedding (looked like fingernail polish.) Nice modern flatscreen television. Desk/workspace in first room was nice. In the second room, it was small and oddly placed directly next to the entry door.

Cleanliness: Not up to my standards. Stray "personal" hairs (you know the ones I mean) found in the bathroom and shower on arrival means it wasn't cleaned properly in my books. Some weird and disturbing "dirt" (I hope) on the back of the bathroom door that was never cleaned. I assume the cleaning staff doesn't think to look behind the door while cleaning in the bathroom, but they should. I was too grossed out to clean it myself, so always just tried to avoid it and not think about it, which is difficult because the toilet is about 2 inches away from the door.

Bed: Bed in the first room was ok. Bed in the second room was drastically sagging and made for poor sleep. I was tempted to flip the mattress myself, but discovered it was a "pillow top" with just about the thinnest "pillow top" I've ever seen. So the mattress wasn't really designed to be flipped. Thought I would flip it anyway, but didn't in the end.

Food: I never had the breakfast. They served dinner 3 nights a week, Monday - Wednesday, and it was always cheap quality. The "Thanksgiving turkey" they served was literally luncheon meat put in some sort of cheap gravy. The "Christmas turkey" was a little better. Not luncheon meat that time. Dinner is just a single option. One night is soup and sandwich night, so there was just one choice of soup, and one choice of sandwich. Salad was usually served with dinner and it varied. Always the same lettuce, but some nights there would be toppings like carrots, onions, cucumbers, cheese, and croutons. Some nights it was carrots only. Or croutons and cheese only. Drink options were usually cans of soda in a couple of varieties. Brownies were good.

Staff: All of the staff I encountered were really very nice, friendly, helpful, and accommodating. No complaints about the staff.

Kitchen: The kitchen included in the unit had a full sized refrigerator, microwave, dishwasher, small cooktop, and toaster. The utensils were minimal, and the bowls were tiny. Trying to eat cereal or soup out of them was a challenge as they only held a tiny portion. The bowl was literally the same size as the small coffee mug. I took a coffee mug of water and poured it in the bowl to measure it, and they held exactly the same amount.

Not all rooms are equal. If you are staying here, especially for an extended time, you may want to ask to see the options before you choose.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Joel S, Front Office Manager at Residence Inn Columbia, responded to this reviewResponded 2 February 2014

Dear Bluemoonsymphony,

Thank you for giving us some feedback about your stay. I wish that you have reached out to us while on property so we could have addressed some of your concerns while you were still here. If you are planning to travel to the area any time soon, I would appreciate if you would reach out to me directly, in order to better serve your needs.

(410)997-7200 x 609
joel.shasteen@marriott.com

Reviewed 30 December 2013

We had one night at this hotel on our journey. The lobby is clean and the front desk was well-staffed. We love Residence Inn, but this was not the best we have seen. The 2-bedroom unit was smaller than we have had before. The room was not as clean as we expected, either. Sticky surfaces. The pool was great -complete with attentive lifeguard. Hot tub was too hot for me. We appreciated the workout equipment, as well. We will have to return when the outdoor fire pit is working! Breakfast was excellent, but there was nowhere to sit.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 December 2013

All the furniture is old... the kitchen is small... bathroom doesnt flush properly, no proper utinsils. And its not as lively as Marriott residence inn Burlington vermont, where i had a lovely stay for 2.5 months

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank vandy v
Reviewed 23 October 2013

Excellent 2room immaculate suite. Living room/kitchen area ample and comfortable. Beautiful flat screen tv. Comfy sofa. Desk with multiple outlets for charging items. Nice floor to ceiling double windows with sheer curtains as well as room darkening curtains. Bedroom had very comfortable queen sized bed with nice comforter. Kitchen had like new appliances and all very clean. Cabinets had sufficient plates, glassware and utensils. Dishwasher also in kitchen area as well as microwave and small dining table. Flat screen tv also in bedroom as well as double floor to ceiling windows same as living room area. Sink area separate from bathroom/shower. Excellent shower. Good water pressure with endless hot water. Hair dryer looked like new and worked like new. Ironing board and iron in closet along with extra blanket if needed. Heating/ air conditioning worked very well. Room was quiet, never heard anything from the neighboring guests. Breakfast buffet was included and very good. Hot and cold cereals, hot breakfast items and coffee, regular and decaf, and hot water for tea. Vert attentive staff, items well stocked. Computer area next to breakfast buffet area for fast airline check-in with adjacent printer. Desk staff very cordial and welcoming. Small market area for sodas and snacks and ice cream. Good location near highway but never heard any highway noise. Most of my time was spent in Ellicott City which was only about a 8-10 minute drive. Ample parking with large spaces. Decent sized outdoor pool which was closed for the season. Outdoor raised fire pit with seating. Ample exercise room. I would stay at this hotel in the future, in fact, based on my first experience at a Residence Inn, I will most likely seek out this brand in my future travels.

Room Tip: Maybe ask for a room on the side opposite the highway as mine was. Our friends had a room on the hig...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 October 2013

Very very pleasant staff. Clean operation. Breakfast wasn't that great however. If you do stay here make sure you ask for a room that does not back up to the road. The road noise is a definite minus. Woke me up at about 4:00 with the trucks air braking.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank JohntheLast

Thank you for your feedback; we will certainly do our best to enhance our complimentary breakfast to help increase the quality. Please let us know if you are ever traveling in the area, and we will try our best to find a room that better meets your needs.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ellicott City
Sonesta ES Suites Columbia
Homewood Suites by Hilton Columbia
Extended Stay America - Columbia - Columbia Parkway
SpringHill Suites Columbia

Been to Residence Inn Columbia? Share your experiences!