“""Wonderful Stay at Rocky Gap Resort""”

Rocky Gap Casino Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Flintstone
Reviewed 9 September 2013

I live in Arlington, VA so the drive took me about 2 1/2 hrs to arrive. I have no complaints at all about the drive also. It was quite beautiful once I got on 270 West to 70 West. Upon arriving even a bit earlier, the hotel staff had no problem allowing me to check in my room.

I througly enjoyed my stay at the property and the room service (I never ate at the restaurants, did eat at the wonderful lobby deli) however, the room service was FANTASTIC! (get the crab cakes!)

My only minus (and that's minor) were the pillows, a bit too hard (for ME), but the room and bed, the microwave/fridge in the room was a lovely touch.
I LOVE Rocky Gap. I will certainaly return ASAP!! Wonderful Stay!
Lastly, Thank You for the $200.00 Comp. for the Casino!!!!

Room Tip: 3rd Floor has Great Views of Lake & Golf Course!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank NewWorship2013

Reviewed 9 September 2013

I wanted to let you know how disappointed I am with my stay at your hotel this weekend. Your front desk customer service was much to be desired. Amy the manager was extremely condescending and downright rude. The valet people and housekeeping were excellent. We also ate dinner at the buffet and the service was great.

I was there for the Iron Girl event. I had raced this last year and loved how nice the hotel was. Last year we were offered an athlete breakfast and late checkout and also a special rate for athletes. This year we were offered nothing. The hotel was close to $100 more a night. I feel like resort did not care if we were there.

I booked my reservation in March on the phone. I had requested a double room. When I went to check in on Saturday I had to wait in a long line because the check in desk is the same as the casino desk for player cards. A bus trip had just arrived. You should really have separate areas for this. Finally after reaching the desk the girl confirmed that I had a King bed in my room. I told her that was in correct and I had booked a double room. She said they were completely booked and there is nothing she can do. I asked to speak to manager. Amy came out and tried to smooth over the situation. I was staying with others that I am not comfortable sharing a bed with. She offered a roll away bed for a charge of $15 a night. I said that I would not be paying for the error of the hotel. Amy stated that there is no way the computers are wrong. She told me she could try to see if she can have it waived. I thought she was the manager?

I did ask for a late check-out and Amy stated that they were all given out. I have called three times previously that week to ask and I was told I could not ask until Sunday morning. So how were they all given out already?

Finally after speaking with many others Sunday morning, all their bills stated that if they checked out my 9am, they could have a casino credit or a credit for the breakfast buffet. My bill did not have that at all and I did check out by 9am. This is a very disappointing because we would have stayed and gambled in your casino.

I enjoy participating in the Iron Girl race and plan to do it again next year. I will not be staying at your resort.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank jillybeanbikes
Reviewed 9 September 2013

Four of us stayed at the hotel to participate in the Rocky Gap Irongirl. The grounds are beautiful and the event was great. The hotel staff, on the other hand, were not welcoming and seemed annoyed by our presence. There was no option for a late check-out, even a noon check-out, when it was clear we were participating in an event on the grounds. In fact, the hotel put a note with our key that told us we would get a free b'fast or gambling $ if we checked out by 9am, which is completely unreasonable since we had to leave our rooms @6am to go to the event. The hotel could be more accommodating for clientele that are clearly there to participate in a huge event that brings in lots of business for the hotel. I'm sure the hotel would not have been sold out but for the tri event. The Lakeside Restaurant food was good, but the staff also seemed flustered by the amount of people they had to serve. Also, there was one person working at the Starbucks who had no idea what she was doing. This hotel is clearly not prepared to handle large groups of people and large events. They seem to want to just cater to gamblers who arrive on large buses and probably don't even stay on the property. It is a beautiful location but this does not make me want to return for any reason.

Room Tip: Not worth it to choose lake view, we could barely see the lake thru the trees and were looking over...
3  Thank MWK186
Reviewed 9 September 2013

I stayed in the lodge a year ago and again this weekend. The whole atmosphere has changed. Our room was not very clean (and was significantly more expensive than a year ago). Service in the restaurant was atrocious. I used to find this a peaceful place, but it is now loud, busy and in great contrast to it's beautiful surroundings. I guess maybe the casino crowd is happy, but if you are going to Rocky Gap for outdoor activities, I would avoid it.

1  Thank Picacho
Reviewed 8 September 2013

A group of 8 of us reserved 3 rooms in January of 2013 for the IronGirl Triathlon that took place today, 9/8/13. At the time the reservation was made, we asked for and were guaranteed a late departure. We confirmed the reservation a few weeks ago, and again, asked for and were guaranteed a late departure.
Upon checking in to the hotel, we were informed that they had already given out their allotment of late departures, and we could not have one. When we explained that we were guaranteed a late departure, we were lied to and told that it was not guaranteed, it was simply a possibility.
We stood with the manager, and a higher up manager for at least 45 minutes going over and over and over the simple facts. We were guaranteed a late departure. They would not honor their guarantee.
When we asked if it was possible to get one extra hour, we were told that we would have to pay for another night, $252.66 with taxes (which is a ridiculous price for those rooms). It is very obvious that the hotel management has no interest in any clientele aside from the casino patrons. We were not made to feel welcome, or our money appreciated in any way whatsoever.
There were close to 900 women at the triathlon today, and as many as possible stayed at this hotel. Due to the fact that we could not get a late departure, we had to rush back after the race, take showers and get out. We never had the chance to eat, socialize, take pictures, cheer on friends, or just plain relax after our race.
I know that none of the 8 women in our group will ever, for any reason, stay at this hotel again. I spoke with many other racers who felt exactly the same way.
It is a real shame that a hotel on the grounds of such a beautiful venue had to ruin our experience this weekend. I sincerely hope that TriColumbia is made aware of these issues, and the race is changed to another venue that appreciates all the business that we brought to an unappreciative hotel this weekend.

7  Thank obxlover
Reviewed 5 September 2013

My husband and I stayed for 3 nights here recently to play golf one day, sightsee in nearby Cumberland and enjoy playing blackjack at night. It's easy to find, just off the interstate.The hotel, on a smallish lake, looks beautiful when driving into the resort area. There was about a 10 minute line at check-in, and once we got to the desk, the clerk was very friendly and efficient. The spacious lobby is quite noisy because of a wide entrance into the casino area.

Our room, on the 4th floor, had a pretty view of the lake and was a good size, with attractive furniture and a big screen TV. A few negatives were intermittent Wifi; bottom sheet of the bed (which was otherwise comfy) wasn't tucked in - we did that the next morning since the maid didn't; hard, flat pillows; lamp by one bedside had nowhere to plug it in, so reading light was poor; lastly, limited cable channels available.

We enjoyed the casino - competent, friendly blackjack dealers, and enough $5 tables to be able to play pretty much whenever we wanted to. Slots do dominate the casino, but that's not our thing. Get the player's rewards card, even if you don't gamble, for extra perks, like the $3.99 early breakfast

Room Tip: Try to be at least on the 3rd floor for the view.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank CBW47
KimberlyR492, Executive Marketing Assistant at Rocky Gap Casino Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 10 October 2013

Thank you for writing about your experience at Rocky Gap Casino Resort! I will be happy to share your comments about your room with our Housekeeping Management & General Manager. We are continuing to improve our hotel and I am sure that your comments will be taken into consideration to improve our amenities. I hope you will visit us again soon!

Reviewed 5 September 2013

This was my second time visiting Rocky Gap. The stay is very peaceful and relaxing with the view of the lake. It's a smoke- free environment inside and that is just wonderful for me.I mainly come to play the slots, not interested in the other outside activities,but you still have to pay the fees.
Casino pay off has not been to friendly with me, maybe better luck next time. I do plan to return again it's a nice drive there, the mountains are beautiful!

Room Tip: Higher floors and Lake View
Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Girlonthego027

I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us! The fee you pay is a Maryland State Park fee that is mandatory because the resort is on State Park ground. I do hope that you will visit us again and hope you fare better on the slots! Thanks for writing about your visit!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Flintstone
Sleep Inn & Suites Cumberland
Comfort Inn & Suites
Comfort Inn & Suites
#1 of 5 in LaVale
The Country Inn of Berkeley Springs
The Country Inn of Berkeley Spri...
#2 of 4 in Berkeley Springs

Been to Rocky Gap Casino Resort? Share your experiences!