“Had better in a roadside cafe”
Review of The Battleaxes

The Battleaxes
Ranked #1 of 1 Wraxall B&B and Inns
Reviewed 2 May 2014

I went here recently for my Birthday, having been quite down recently after a bad run of luck I was seriously hoping this would make me and my family feel better. The poor service was of note to start with, totally ignored for 30 minutes. Sprayed with D10 when the waiter cleaned a neighbouring table. We were a table of 4 and there must have been no more than 8 others in the restaurant/dining area. The place was very quiet. My meal arrived 1.5 hours after waiting. My chips were the greasiest I'd ever had & were oozing fat. No matter how you dress it up some clean chip oil was in desperate need as was the correct temperature to cook them. My steak was passable but for over £15 I would expect that. Yet again another pub with robot chefs, I got peas on my plate having asked not to have them. Other members of my family were disappointed which was a real shame as it was supposed to be a happy occasion. We were later told that the 2 chefs had forgot about us, I think the waiter forgot to pass our order if the truth be found out. In all not a happy meal. 2 chefs & they still couldn't produce a decent meal when barely coping with 10 covers the whole time we were there. Unsatisfied to say the least.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Simon H
GBFC1, Managing Director at The Battleaxes, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2014

Hi there Simon H.

Thanks for taking the time to pop a review on Tripadvisor. I have read your review in detail and would like to address your points as you have written them. Firstly it is a real shame that you have been run down recently and thank you for choosing The Battleaxes as a treat for you and your family. It is very unfortunate that we did not live up to your expectations on this occasion, both in how you say the staff conducted them selves and also how you state the the chips were prepared.

I would like to apologise for any upset and discontent that your recent visit has caused you and your family. By no means of an excuse, but I can assure you that our chefs are not robots, but are passionate professionals, which appears not to have been demonstrated on this occasion. I see from your other posts on TA that you are not having much luck in finding a good pub meal. If possible I would like to contact you directly - if this is acceptable, please email me your email address on ben@flatcappers.co.uk.

I do hope you hear from you soon,

Regards,
Managing Director.

Reviewed 12 April 2014

Came here because of the reviews. A little disappointed. The rooms are comfortable although a little what I call igglety pigglety we had two blocks of wood as bedside tables. The view was nice from our room in room three. We decided to stop here because we wanted to eat and have few drinks to relax after a week of work. The food I thought was ok at best. For a pub in the middle of the country the vegetables on offer with our meal was some spring greens. Also the salads were green nothing else. The steak my wife had was dissapointing with a mug of chips, 8 ounce steak and small pile of off green leaves all this for 16£ I had the rabbit pie which was better but I felt as though it had been done in a micro wave not crisp and flaky. Sorry but it felt as though the supplies had run out on a Friday, unacceptable. Also run out of beef burgers, pavlova and of course salads. The staff were all nice and pleasant just need to up their game on the food.

Room Tip: Book a room at the back off the road. Soft pillow in the wardrobe as we found out in the morning.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Cralphie.

I am sorry to read that you were disappointed with the rooms and food on your visit to The Battleaxes, especially after making your decision to visit us based on reading all of our good reviews on Tripadvisor. We do take all feedback seriously and if there is something we improve on, we do so as soon as we are made aware of it. We will be reviewing our menu and food preparation to ensure that items are not sold out and that we offer good value for money to all of our guests. If possible, I would like to speak with you directly , if you might have time could you provide me with a suitable email address - please email me on ben@flatcappers.co.uk.

Thanks once again, and I do hope to hear from you soon.

Kindest regards,

Reviewed 9 April 2014

Enjoyed a good lunch with excellent food, well presented by helpful staff. Access was not easy for my disabled mother as there is quite a high step up to the entrance. However, leaving was worse. She needed the toilet which is down about 4 deep steps and up another step. She eventually made it but at great pain and risk to herself and me as I was trying to help her. I am shocked that in this day and age a restaurant can put essential facilities out of reasonable reach of very elderly customers. There was no other toilet available. Won't risk life and limb going back.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Hi there Sheila G,

If I may i'd like to thank you for taking the time to review The Battleaxes on Tripadvisor. We take all feedback very seriously and act where we can to improve what we do on a day-to-day basis to ensure that our guests experience is the best it can possibly be. On your last visit, I would like to apologise that the layout of our building made it difficult for your Mother to navigate around the building. Since your review we have re-trained our staff to spot and assist elderly and indeed any less mobile guests to wherever they may need to get to. We have also made it apparent to guests that book with us that disabled ramps are available to get up and down stairways.

I do hope that we do see you and your family again and thank you once again for reviewing us.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 7 April 2014 via mobile

Spent an evening here with my wife, greeted straight away and shown to our very well appointed and comfortable room, exceptional bathroom in room 5! Due to it's great reputation we decided to stay for food and drinks and we weren't dissapointed, very enjoyable experience all round with great food and service, really couldn't find fault. Despite facing the road the room was nice and quiet and headed off refreshed the following morning after a lovely breakfast.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for taking the time to review The Battleaxes on Tripadvisor, we are so pleased you had a super time and we very much look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 12 March 2014

My partner and I found this little Gem whilst out on a drive on Sunday. We were seated within 10 minutes of arriving. The atmosphere in the pub was lovely. We started chatting to the family sat next to us and they were obviously regulars as they told us to come in the week also.

We were seated in the window and asked if the table was suitable for us. Our order was taken and we had the Beef. I asked how the Beef was cooked and they asked me how I would like it cooked. My partner ordered his Medium and I have mine Well done.

The food arrived within 10 minutes of ordering and OMG not only did it look amazing there was plenty of it. Two bowls of various fresh vegetables also came out. Two homemade Yorkshire Puddings, lots of roast potatoes, 2 generous slices of Beef also. mmmmmm

We cannot recommend this place highly enough and plan on using this as a regular Sunday haunt.

The staff are so friendly and cannot do enough for you.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
GBFC1, General Manager at The Battleaxes, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2014

We are delighted you enjoyed your Sunday Roast with us recently. Your compliments are much appreciated and have been passed on to the staff and kitchen, thank you. We hope you will find the time to return in the near future.

We look forward to welcoming you again soon

Warm regards

Karen

Reviewed 16 February 2014

A lovely place to stay, room was decorated amazingly, shower was fabulous. We stayed in room 6 towards the front of the building. Loved the style of the room too. Staff were very accommodating and friendly and went out of their way to make us feel welcome. Also ate here both dinner and included breakfast and both were lovely.
Staff even went out of there way to accommodate late night cheese toastie provision!
Would highly recommend. Great for just a drink in nice surroundings too.

Room Tip: Any are great, but rooms 1-5 seem to be at the back of the building. Room 6 is towards the front nea...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 January 2014

...... When it is part of an experience.

Like many of the other reviews we "fell across" this wonderful B and B whilst searching for somewhere to stay whilst attending a function in Portishead.

It is one of those places that defines the term shabby chic as it appears to have been thrown together but closer examination reveals that a lot of thought has gone into it.

You can have the best hotel in the world but you have to have the right staff and they certainly do here.All young attentive and welcoming. The manager did not take a credit card imprint on arrival stating that he trusted me. Even if this was salesmanship,which I don't think it was, it was fantastic.

Loved the room very quiet with good solid furniture and squared off logs for bed side cabinets, iPod docking station and full tea making facilities.

We did not have an evening meal here but did have a couple of starters on arrival served in paper funnels on wooden trays they were top quality.

Not sure if we will have the need to return to this part of the world but If we do we will stay here and so should you.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Janbob1
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wraxall
Travelodge Portishead
Bristol Marriott Royal Hotel
Hotel du Vin & Bistro
Hotel du Vin & Bistro
#5 of 39 in Bristol

Been to The Battleaxes? Share your experiences!