“On our way to D.C.”
Review of Charlie's Motel

Charlie's Motel
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Frostburg
Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

Its clean. Got a great nites sleep, and a great shower the next day. Great deal for the price. Dont expect everything to match. Its older, but so am I. Lol. The guy in charge is a straight shooter, with a good sense of humor. I would stay there again.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Tammy H

Reviewed 8 July 2014

My wife and I stayed here for 2 nights during the Holiday weekend while biking along the GAP. Accommodation was simple, for people who spend their time mostly outdoor and don’t need too much space in the room. What we got for $55 was a small double-bed room with a little refrigerator/freezer, a microwave oven, a TV set and WiFi (really working). Both the room and the bathroom were clean. We prefer sleeping at an open window, but this time we could not so we had to rely on AC even if we don’t like its noise. A restaurant is in 3 min walking distance. John, the owner, is a very friendly guy. He offered us a ride / pick-up to/from the trail-head if needed. He also gave us several useful pieces of advice how to plan our biking trips so we have enough of precious energy at the end to enjoy the tour. I wish we could find such a guy at our further journeys. I really recommend this motel.
Peter H.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Eleonora H
Reviewed 28 May 2014

When I travel these days, I'll generally opt for locally-owned hotels instead of big brands/chains. You generally don't get a pool or soap with a logo, but you can discover some hidden gems. Charlie's has a spartan, basic look, but it's clean and quiet. I really liked the layout of the room. I'm a light sleeper, so I appreciated having an AC unit near the bed to drown out any exterior noise. Also, no windows directly to the outside, so I could sleep late and not be flooded with sunlight at 6am. And the price ($45) cannot be denied. For people who want luxury and all the amenities, this is probably not your best choice. If you're mostly interested in a comfortable place to get a night's rest, Charlie's Motel is probably your best bet for Frostburg.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
John & Linda An... S, Owner at Charlie's Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2014

Thank you for your review. We try to make people feel welcome and relaxed.

Reviewed 16 April 2014

Booked two rooms for the weekend mostly for the price and location. The rooms were nicer than I had expected. Mine had a microwave and fridge/freezer. The beds were comfortable. The bathroom and shower were small and cramped, but clean. Great location within walking distance to town and having the Tavern on-site was a good last stop before turning in. I would definitely stay there again. Not for the picky type perhaps, but if you are looking for a reasonably priced, basic, clean place to stay, this is your place in the Burg.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank brian k
Reviewed 21 October 2013

If you're taking a trip along the Great Allegheny Passage this is an idea motel to stay at. It very close to the trail itself. Get off the trail and it's right along Highway 40, where there's several place to eat - both breakfast and dinner. A short distance into the downtown area where is a bicycle shop as well.

Entrance is along an indoor porchway, so you can bring you bicycle under cover and either leave it inside or outside your room.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Robert K
Reviewed 5 September 2013

I needed two rooms for the night so I could drop my son off at his dorm at the local college the next day. I just wanted a cheap place to sleep comfortably, nothing more. Charlie's ended up being a good choice. It was perfectly acceptable to me, although I'm sure the wife and kids were a little shocked at first glance since we always stay in 3-star+ hotels when vacationing. Charlie's is very plain and basic, on the older side. However, it is very clean, has cold a/c, and quiet. Rooms are small, beds are comfortable, cable TV worked great, free in-room internet, hot shower with great water pressure (better than home), refridgerator and microwave, 75 cent soda machines on-site, quaint drive-in ice cream/food place across the street. We all ended up agreeing that Charlies perfectly acceptable. No complaints. I'll stay there again for sure when I visit my son at college. WARNING: DO NOT EXPECT LUXURY! DO NOT EXPECT FRESH PAINT AND NEW FURNISHINGS!. However, nothing at Charlies is disgusting, whatsoever. Simply a clean, basic, cheap place to watch some TV, sleep soundly, and get a good shower in the morning. If you get a chance, strike up a conversation with the owner. He is NOT named Charlie. He IS a character.

Room Tip: My guess is that there isn't much difference between the various rooms at Charlies, except that...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank somerssalt
Reviewed 12 March 2013

I live in Frostburg and every time Frostburg has a big drinking event or pub crawl (which is often) I make the Hurry Back Tavern my last stop and rent a room at Charlie's. Yes the rooms are pretty basic but honestly what are you expecting from a hotel in Frostburg, MD? Beachfront massages? It's a great locale. Right next to the best local bar in Frostburg with the best bartender in Frostburg (Brenda) and nearby Sand Springs Saloon which has a mean bartender but great food. In the summer the Tastee Freeze is open and right across the street. There's a ballpark and playground right up the road also. The best part is coming in to meet the locals who are a hoot. I should know, I am one.

Anyways, I heart Charlie's Motel big time. It's a totally different experience from staying at a chain but it's worth it. The rooms are ok, cheap, and very close to the best bar in Frostburg. What else could you want?

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank gomerk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Frostburg
Gunter Hotel
Hampton Inn Frostburg
Hampton Inn Frostburg
#1 of 6 in Frostburg
Super 8 la Vale/Cumberland Area

Been to Charlie's Motel? Share your experiences!