“Won't stay here again!” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #13 of 15 Hotels in Gaithersburg
Rochester, New York
“Won't stay here again!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2012

I stayed here for one night while traveling to Washington, DC with my husband. I should have known better considering how much cheaper it was than other hotels in the area - we paid $64.99 for the night. We requested a room (in advance) that was smoke free and pet free. Well it was a "non-smoking" room but the rooms on both sides were smoking. The man at check-in told us if this did not suffice we would not be penalized and we could stay somewhere else. However, there were no other hotels with availability in the area. The room smelled very strongly like stale smoke, and while we didn't see any pet fur, there was an ant in the bed as soon as we pulled back the sheets. I would highly recommend that they keep their smoking rooms and non-smoking rooms as separate as possible - not intermixed throughout the corridors.

The bathroom was gross - the tub had all sorts of residue on the floor that looked like vomit. There was hair on the shower curtain. We were afraid to walk around without shoes on which made it very difficult. The bath towels were EXTREMELY small and they didn't give you any shampoo - soap only.

Within 24 hours I had 5 bites on my back side. Not sure what they were from, but I could only assume this hotel. I've never had bites like these in a concentrated area.

It's sad that this is what you get for $65. That is only "cheap" by American standards.

I would never stay here again. It's worth paying a bit more to stay at a nicer chain. I can't believe Motel 6 would actually allow someplace like this!

Room Tip: There are no good rooms! I would recommend a 2nd or 3rd floor room so that there is a less chance of...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank goldengirl217

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2012

I have been to a lot of motel 6 in my life and this was the most downgraded one of all. The bed is caves in on one side, the bathroom is tiny and the tub looks filthy. I want to take a shower and there was a Roach climbing up the wall. I dang near pooped my pants. For $72 a night I would expect something a lot cleaner and at least an upgraded TV. Can you say old school.

• Stayed March 2012
Boston, Ma
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2011

We stay at everything from 5 stars in U.S. and Europe to motels on road trips across the U.S. usually 40 stays a year. So our expectations are pretty well balanced. We use budget hotels like Comfort Inn or Econo lodge on road trips particularly when that is about all there is. This hotel is cheap at about 70 a night for a couple and we took it because they take pets and we had one along this time.

The motel needs work, while fairly clean everything is worn, even a few broken items and you don't even get shampoo. Towels the size of dish towels. I would expect somebody is going to renovate this place or else it just turned over and a family is trying to get on their feet running it. Nice enough staff but keep your expectations in check. Right near I-270

Room Tip: Avoid the ground floor and the back of motel which is on a rail line
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank cjmarkie
Santa Fe, New Mexico
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2011

My husband and I chose this hotel because it was very close to his parents home where we had planned to attend a family birthday party. The hotel rate was cheap enough, but the property was filthy! Even though we had chosen a non-smoking room, the bedspreads had multiple holes from cigarette burns. When I went to use the shower, the surface of the bath tub was dirty with some kind of grey silt and hair. We chose to use the elevator to go to our room on the 3rd floor. There was food caked on the floor of the elevator, and food wrappers on the pathway to our room. We travel all over the world, and we have never encountered a more dirty environment in a hotel. My husband took pictures of our room and its surroundings and has sent them off to the corporate offices.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Penngal_11
La Plata, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2010

I use them about 4 to 5 times per year. I always have clean linens, and the room is clean. The staff is always friendly and accommodating to my needs. If you are looking for something fancy or room service, try one of the super expensive hotels in the area. But if you want a nice room to sleep in, and be close to area restaurants and local parks and clubs,and not pay outrageous prices? pick Motel 6 Gaithersburg.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
Graz, Austria
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2010

I am my college booked this motel. The motel looked nice on a approachable place. However the room given to us was not so good. There were still smoke stubs and sheet wasn't supposedly changed. In fact the room was infested with bugs and all the time I was suspecting something was wrong. I had to get my apartment fumigated a few weeks after that.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
Vancouver BC
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2010

For starters, this location was HORRIBLE. It was positioned in between a freeway/train track and a car dealership! If you stay on the side facing the car dealership (which we were) you would be fine noise wise, but the view was horrendous. If you stay on the other side you hear trains passing by all day and night.

My family members checked us in and were treated rudely by the front desk staff. The cleaning staff also seemed to either give us dirty looks or just were not happy period.

The room itself was decent and was on the 3rd floor, so the use of the elevator (centrally located) was needed. Inside the room there was a sink outside of the bathroom (I hate when places do this!) as the bathroom was very tiny.

There was a person who looked to be a drug dealer loitering the parking lot when we arrived. After we dropped our luggage in the room we went to do a bit of shopping (which was close nearby) and when we returned the police in about 6 cars were in the middle or an arrest or something. We never did find out what happened, but just them being them left an unpleasant taste in our mouths.

I would personally pay a little more for a place in the same area. The proximity to Washington D.C. was actually great, so if you can find another motel/hotel in the vicinity, try that place first.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family