... and even then I would rather pay double than stay in this place again.
We had the misfortune of staying here 1 night all based on the TA reviews. There are so many issues with this property we wonder about the glowing reviews. Where do I start?
The bath was clean
Helpful, but misinformed staff
The rest goes to bad & ugly:
• 50 TV channels with Showtime, but no HGTV (only channel blocked), a channel we watch on the road the most. The personnel at the front desk did not even know it was not available.
• Rather small room (2 double beds)
• Our room had red spots on the wall; not sure if it was slurpee or blood
• From certain angle we could see from the room to the main hall with the door closed. Magic? No, but almost an inch of space between the door and frame. We propped the chair and our stuff against the door to feel safe.
• The room has a microwave and very noisy mini fridge even though it is hidden inside pretty used (and old looking) furniture
• The bath is OK but the room itself desperately needs an update of the outdated look.
• A/C unit was so noisy we cooled the room down while away and did not use it after that. The bath ventilation was one of the nosiest we experienced; it was efficient in removing steamy air, but way too loud and I bet our neighbors could hear it clearly just as we did theirs.
• Every move on the bouncy, medium beds created what we called 'symphony of sounds' from the coil springs, foundation and who knows what else.
• If you check in before the office building next door closes, good luck finding parking.
• The breakfast was average, but we could not eat it since there was no place to sit. The tables were taken by teenage kids (tour bus) who already ate and were just loafing around & checking their phones while so many people were looking for a place to sit. Management should ask them to wait in the lobby so others can sit down and eat. Plus the small tables are so tight together it is very hard to walk by.
• We also wondered if people live here on longer term, weekly basis with so many small kids running around into the wee hours.
• While I thought the safe charge scam was purveyor of dubious establishments in shady areas I was wrong. This Choice Hotels member charges one so watch for it. They do not charge extra for hair dryer so why safe (we used neither)?
When we drove away in the afternoon (5PM) we were hassled by panhandlers on the Shady Grove Rd & N. Frederick intersection. Not a hotel issue per say, but something to consider.
Maybe the reason why this place is so highly rated is the free libation Tuesdays (5:30 - 7:00 PM; beer & wine and food). Otherwise we have no explanation why this place at the time of the writing this review is #2 in Gaithersburg.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Seven stroy brick building with interior corridors. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Choice Hotels, Expedia, Ebookers, Travel Republic (UK), Booking.com, Hotels.com, Priceline and Traveltool, S.L.U. so you can book your Comfort Inn Shady Grove reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Comfort Inn Shady Grove Hotel Gaithersburg
- Shady Grove Comfort Inn
- Comfort Inn Gaithersburg
- Gaithersburg Comfort Inn