Comfort Inn Shady Grove
SpringHill Suites by Marriott Gaithersburg(Gaithersburg)(Great Value!)
US$160
US$171
US$141
US$143
US$140
All reviewsfree shuttlemetro stationdonutsshuttle serviceon demanddc arearoom was cleanfree breakfastthe breakfast areahotel shuttleenglish muffinsfour nightsthe hotel offersvisiting washington dcour recent stayyogurtminute ride
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 2 July 2014 via mobile

My husband had surgery and this hotel was recommended by our Dr. We were not disappointed. The beds and pillows were very comfortable. After my husband's surgery he needed more to prop himself up when he slept they brought them up no problem.
We checked in on a Tuesday and there was a customer reception in the lobby with meat, cheese, fruit, bread, beer, wine and water.
They offer a free shuttle to and from the metro which was only a 5 minute ride away.
Next to the hotel is a very good Mexican Restaurant that I highly recommend.

• Stayed: May 2014
2  Thank Bonnie Davies C
Reviewed 27 June 2014

We just finished a 10 day stay at this hotel and couldn't be more pleased. The hotel is nicely appointed and very well kept up. The staff, from the manager on down, met our every need and was extremely customer service minded the entire stay. The breakfast was excellent and the shuttle to the nearest metro station was prompt. They do not have a restaurant but the breakfast area is clean and spacious with a full, and tasty meal selection. We didn't require room service so we have no comment on that point. If we are ever in the area again this is where we will stay.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Castacwa
Reviewed 21 June 2014

Backstory: Our seasonal trip from Toronto to the south (normally SE North Carolina) typically ended up in Frederick MD on day one - a little over halfway. On this trip, we were going to Chesapeake VA and my wife wanted to hit the Tysons Galleria at Tysons Corner in the AM. Though the total trip was about 3hrs less driving, we still wanted to make our "annual 2nd day trip lunch at the AYCE KFC" in Fredericksburg VA. In order to get there by 1230-1pm, there was no way we could stay in Frederick and so we drove an additional 1/2 hour to stay at this establishment.

From the moment I walked in, there was an overwhelming WOW factor. The lobby (I didn't take any photos but there are lots to be found) is spectacular - with the well appointed wooden chairs and the waterfall piece behind the front desk. The overall decor was throughout the property - I have attached pictures of what we found in our room. Nice artwork hanging up in the rooms and nice little value-adds like an actual place to hang your coat and a wooden door stop - none of which I have seen in any other Comfort Inn - nor any other hotel for that matter.

Parking: I believe there is another lot adjacent to the main one but don't quote me. I ended up going to the back (west side I believe) and found a spot. It was around 1045pm ish and there was not much left. Unlike most CI's with 2-4 floors, this one had I believe 7 floors - and if all used the main parking would be insufficient so you should double check that. Free otherwise.

Wifi: Very good overall quality - no complaints.

Fridge/Microwave - As GiselleF noted in her review (good eye ump) the mini fridge was larger than the standard fare. On our first trip to the south in 2009 we stayed at a Marriott Courtyard in Frederick. Nothing wrong with the place but ... no fridge/no free coffee/no breakfast (if wanted) and you paid more money. We always have a supply of drinks etc going to and from the south and want a way to keep it cooler - so a place with a half decent fridge is important.

Bathroom: Extra items beyond cups were provided. THe shower though was typical - no idea who decided to place the showerhead so low - all the CIs are like that. I have to bend the end UP a bit so I can wash my hair without having to bend down. Yes I am tall, but this isn't Japan.

Beds: Only double beds - I would have preferred Queen per the rest of the CIs we have booked. My wife commented that one of the beds (ours) was not as firm and sinking a bit on her side. Otherwise comfortable and squeak free.

How Clean/Comfortable: Everything appeared clean and quiet until we left in the AM.

Safe: Cannot remember how it played out but - there is an IN ROOM safe and there was to be a nickle and dime charge of $1.00 (I believe) to use it. I stated we would not and was not charged the $1.00. Not really sure a place with a higher than average rate would attempt to do something like this.

Breakfast: I ended up going down and having a small bite before leaving (I was preparing for the AYCE KFC so I had to be careful!). What would be a "plastic" juice dispenser in any other CI turned out to be a lovely metal dispenser here.

Location: I don't think I am THAT qualified to answer this. At some point in our future we will travel and stay in the DC area. Probably will aim for a more LT stay style hotel that offers a full kitchen but regardless - many have stated in reviews how much good value there is for such a hotel close to DC. For our purpose again, it was only 1/2 hour to Tysons Corner. I had done the full gambit review of CI's in and around Tysons Corner and then circled out and found this place.

Value: This is where the review digresses a bit and falls back to the title. Generally speaking you are paying more money (~$20-30 more than the average CI) to be (IMO) closer to the DC area. Period. And for that you only get double beds - which is a negative. The rest of the stuff is fluff that "gives you the impression" of something better. IMO they used the decor et al as a way to justify the higher price of the hotel. Not saying that is a huge negative - but my wife felt the additional cost of the hotel didn't match the value. I somewhat concur with her - but appreciate the location as a reason for the higher price. However, in the end ... it was "just" a Comfort Inn.

I am erring on the side of a "nice experience", regardless hence the 4 star review.

Final sniff test: The next time we go to the south and my wife wants to visit Tysons Corner would I by default just stay at the Shady Grove? Maybe, but I definitely would clock some time once again reviewing "average" Comfort Inn's in and around that area ... for Queen beds and a lower rate.

Room Tip: FWIW - This location has I believe 7 floors. Most Comfort Inns range from 2-4 floors.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Jeffrey H
Reviewed 20 June 2014

We stayed four nights in this hotel. The room was clean, well-appointed and comfortable. The wifi worked dependably and at a reasonable speed - truly a high speed internet connection. The hotel provided free shuttle service to the Shady Grove Metro Station from 7AM to 9PM. The staff was friendly, competent and helpful. The breakfast provided by the hotel each morning was complete with eggs and sausages.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Marjorie C
Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed here in June. Booked it as needed to be in the area. It was on average $30 a night cheaper than nearby options.

We were pleasantly surprised with the whole experience. Staff are extremely helpful and friendly and often asked if everything was to our satisfaction.

The rooms were extremely clean with plenty of room. Ours had a large bathroom, a king size bed, a flat screen tv, a microwave, kettle, reclining chair and a desk area, as well as a fridge. We received two complimentary bottles of water daily.

The breakfast which was included in the price was plentiful with a large choice. Homemade waffles, toast, eggs , meat patties,yoghurt, fresh
fruit, doughnuts, cereals as well as juices and tea or coffee. I was apprehensive after reading some reviews prior to going about breakfast but don't know what they were complaining about!

There was also a free shuttle service to and from the nearby metro station at shady grove on the red line to DC.

Nearby there were for or five restaurants and shops and we were offered discounts to some on arrival.

The swimming pool was cleaned daily by the lifeguard who was very pleasant during our stay.

I would have no hesitation in recommending this to anyone who needs to stay in the area or to anyone who wishes to visit DC without paying DC hotel prices.

We also requested a late check out on morning of our departure and there was no issue with staff as again they were most helpful and pleasant to deal with.

• Stayed: June 2014